What are you baking? May 2022

I’m so glad you liked them as much as I do! I was skeptical for the same reason as you about these, but they’re so good, and everyone I’ve made them for has loved them!
The RLB recipe is I think one Helen Rennie has featured on her channel. She doesn’t bake and doesn’t like sweets much, but loves those scones. Yours look gorgeous!

ETA: actually the ones you made are a different scone recipe from RLB.

2 Likes

@Shellybean

Is this the Helen Rennie/RLB scone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxz40-0e24

I love that she shows the cut-and-stack trick. That’s my favorite method for laminating scones and biscuits. So easy, compared to folding.

I disagree about only eating scones, warm, however. Maybe I’m odd man out, but I think they’re best once they’ve completely cooled and rested several hours. I find when I eat them warm, they lose that sconey texture which makes them so special.

4 Likes

That’s the one. I love scones warm, but as long as they’re baked that day I think they’re good. I think they’re best once they’ve cooled after baking.

A really cool trick I saw for laminating was using the pasta attachment to make really thin layers of dough, spreading the butter, and stacking them all.

2 Likes

I love Helen Rennie! I took a pie making class with her years and years ago. I use a different recipe now but she totally changed my technique

2 Likes

Both of those look delicious.

1 Like

I use Pam for Baking (has flour in it) and a lot of it. Right before the finished batter goes into the pan.

I usually let bundt cakes cool almost completely before turning them out. Sometimes I gently coax the topmost edges of the baked cake from the pan with a very thin, flexible knife, just to get things started, but that’s risky because scratching the pan is a no-no.

And no, I don’t reduce the sugar. Rose is a scientist and I am not; I don’t want to muck with the ratios.

Yes, I use both the syrup and the glaze. If you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick just one of them, I’d pick the syrup.

3 Likes

I like to cut the layers with a sharp knife, using the scraper crimps the edges sort of. But she still got a lot of layers in hers, of course she did.

Milk Bread from Mooncakes and Milk Bread. Had to plastic wrap it so people would eat something else. (No time to bake tomorrow and I want bread for breakfast.) Fussy recipe but good results.

7 Likes

One bowl cake, easy to put together and the bonus is a fine textured cake. Bog standard ganache with sprinkles …served with chocolate sauce on the side. Adapted from a NYT recipe.

12 Likes

Has anyone made the rhubarb crumb cake from Snacking Cakes? I am going to make a rhubarb cake for our first day back in the office for the whole team, and was considering this recipe…

I tried it with frozen rhubarb and it was odd texture. I’m blame the frozen rhubarb, but didn’t try it again with fresh.

Good to know: I will be using frozen too. Will stick with the SK rhubarb snacking cake. Thanks!

Still taste-testing, on occasion, my fruitcake from last holiday season. This is an orange-pecan cake from December 23rd, so almost 5 months. I used Alton Brown’s Free Range Fruitcake recipe, with fruit soaked in golden rum, and Grand Marnier for the glaze.

Here with a cup of Blue Lotus Chai (Traditional Flavor). Still delicious!

11 Likes

Brown Butter Brownie Cookies. These were a hit at Christmas time. Baked again today. Recipe on Vanilla Blg but it’s Jesse Szewczyk’s recipe in his book Cookies The New Classics. It’s a chewy,fudgy brownie cookie. Recipe makes 16 cookies but I used #40 scope and got 27. They are 2 1/2 inches wide. Baking time 10 minutes.

12 Likes

These look wonderful! Will definitely be trying…

Seeing a friend with Celiac tomorrow, so decided to try a new gluten-free recipe. https://www.nigella.com/recipes/triple-chocolate-buckwheat-cookies They were pretty easy, and are very chocolatey! I did stick into the fridge for about 30 minutes before I baked. Toronto is suddenly incredibly warm ( what happened to spring?) and my kitchen is too. They are more a cakey than a fudgey cookie, but nice.

Add images here

7 Likes

Made these little tarts for a porch luncheon with my sister. Everything went smoothly - perfect pastry cream, the tart shells came out of the tins with no breakage and assembly was easy. I’m sure it was bc there was no pressure knowing even if they were a mess Sister would love them. And she did!

19 Likes

Perfect!

2 Likes

A porch luncheon sounds lovely.

Two years into my adventure growing rhubarb, I made my first recipe with my own crop: Smitten Kitchen’s rhubarb snacking cake. SO delicious.

rhubarb snacking bars may 22

I followed the recipe exactly, no mods. I was a bit worried about the amount of liquid the macerated rhubarb threw off; I vaguely remember making these years ago and having trouble with the bars being wet, but I soldiered on and added all the liquid here, and was very pleased. It’s pretty sticky out here and these are quite tender for a bar, so I’m storing these in the fridge. Yumtastical!

16 Likes