What are you baking? March 2022

I really couldn’t tell you what flavor notes it has, so I got out the Molina and the Trader Joe’s vanilla extract and did a sniff test. They smelled different, maybe a little sweeter smell with the Molina. So I had my husband smell them both. He said “They’re definitely different”, but that was all he could come up with too. I’ll PM you.

2 Likes

I found it avail online. Very reasonably priced too. Can you describe the aroma a bit. Strong, light, caramel? Thxs.

1 Like

wowoWoWOWW i’m so interested in this!

1 Like

I had the same view on that focaccia. I gave a neighbor some yeast during the lockdowns/empty supermarket shelves.

She said that she made that recipe. I was intrigued so I made it. I found it to be mushy due to the brining.

1 Like

Just found that recipe… definitely going to make this.

Wow, that cake looks and sounds delicious.

FYI, Once I started making vanilla wafers I’ve never gone back to store bought.

Alton Brown for the win.

5 Likes

yes, I gave it to 2 friends and no one commented on it or texted me about it.

1 Like

Wow, you got really great lift in those popovers! Do you make the dough the night before and let it rest in the fridge overnight to really hydrate?

1 Like

No. Cold is not the approach, room temp the eggs the night before. The milk I take the chill off. Then, I use a blender to mix the batter that morning. The popover tin gets heated while the oven preheats. Use a brush to oil each indiv tin. Pour batter 2/3rds in each tin. Never open oven during bake. Bakes at high temp, then gets turned down during last 15 min completion.

But, olive oil vs butter I believe adds to the lift as well.

1 Like

Oh, room temp and a blender. Now that makes sense! Thank you!

1 Like

The popover tin gets some credit too because the same batter in a muffin tin or ramekin looks different.

WHAT i can make them? Wow I’m so screwed, it’s like learning how to make crackers. It makes store-bought really hard to eat.

3 Likes

Just to make your life even more complicated, once you make graham crackers you’ll be ruined for store bought.

I make a batch, crush them into crumbs and store them in the freezer.

7 Likes

weeping

3 Likes

Really want a slice of this!

1 Like

I’ll have to try these someday! The dessert was more to use up some ingredients like the amaretti and the sour cherries, but another time for sure. I have made homemade graham crackers and digestive biscuits, and loved them both.

1 Like

Agreed, but unfortunately that booted banana pudding out of “quick dessert” territory.

Doesn’t it pain you to make graham crackers from scratch and then crush them? I cry inside every time.

3 Likes

Banana pudding was never quick for me. I make the vanilla wafers two days in advance and issue threats to my husband if he eats more than one. I make the vanilla pudding in the morning of the day before. Once it cools completely, I layer it with the vanilla wafers and the bananas. Then I refrigerate overnight. When I’m ready to serve I whip the cream.

No, I pretty much only eat graham crackers crushed. They would also freeze fine whole.

5 Likes

True, but you have a great foundation, and they look amazing!!! You have all the elements just right!

Pampusky from Mamuska ….Ukrainian garlic rolls. This is a simple roll recipe, lean with no fat and only a teaspoon of sugar. This subsequently gets a bath of three tablespoons of sunflower oil and parsley, (I used butter and garlic chives), when removed from the oven.A sponge is made with half the flour and all the water and then refrigerated overnight. The remaining flour and salt is then mixed in and kneaded in the morning. This is a relatively low hydration dough and I wet my hands several times while kneading. It has a thin crispy crust and a even crumb….I might be tempted to add a little more water next time.

17 Likes