What are you baking? March 2022

I might bake Lemon Surprise Pudding aka lemon seed-saucing pudding aka lemon pudding cake for St Paddy’s.

2 Likes

Practice helps!

Comparing the Molina to Trader Joe’s, which is Strong, spicy, sweet, possible caramel notes, and then I found an article that tested all three types-

5 Likes

Interesting article thanks for posting. I was always wondering about Tahitian vanilla vs Mexican.

1 Like

What I have steeping in the large jar are whole beans in vodka from Mexico. Vanilla beans from Tahiti in tube, vanilla bitters, extract steeped in coffee liquor and the extract created from the whole beans that I work from. Those vanilla beans are from Mexico.

A blend according to Molina website, theirs has several alcohols and caramel flavoring. I’m going to try it as well.

6 Likes

Made an apple snack cake for my neighbor and one for my wife. My Aunt’s recipe includes apple spirits in the batter and a dusting of very fine plain breadcrumbs on the diced apples.

17 Likes

:chicken: I have that same tea towel due to another of your tips.

1 Like

Still going strong with new products. Happy to hear you found them useful, @Elsieb!

Drools

I foisted this recipe shared by @heidicooksandbakes for blueberry muffins from this 2018 thread onto the husfriend to make and they turned out spectacularly. They’re ridiculously jammy and flavorful and wonderful. We gave half of the batch away to a dinner guest, which in retrospect was foolish. Here are the last four:

11 Likes

You located one of my favorite HO baking threads! So many delicious muffin recipes contained there. That blueberry muffins recipe is so good. Your photo says it all.

2 Likes

Black cocoa sandwich cookies with vanilla bean buttercream from Jesse Szewczyk’s book Cookies. I’ve been more underwhelmed than amazed with this book, but I think that everything needs more salt. These cookies called for 1/4 t of diamond crystal kosher salt which seems not enough, so I doubled the salt and cooked for far less time (12 min compared to the 15-18 in the recipe). They came out perfectly. I gave most of them to my bff for her birthday.

15 Likes

This is fascinating, thanks. I didn’t dive deep enough to get to Molina’s actual web site, I’ll go there now.

1 Like

@sallyt, Very artistic how you layered the butter cream…I’m drooling!

2 Likes

thank you! It’s just a big piping tip but it does look nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m so clumsy with an icing bag mine would have been oozing out the sides. It would probably still taste good just look like an overfilled Oreo.

I’m not familiar with the cookbook but my loss-those filled cookies look really good!

Here’s my latest. https://www.skinnytaste.com/crustless-sausage-and-spinach-quiche/

9 Likes

Nice to see you Ginny!

2 Likes

@ginnyhw

Liking the avatar!

1 Like