What are you baking? March 2022

For Sunday brunch: whole-wheat applesauce and spice cake with golden raisins and walnuts.

18 Likes

The latter - thanks!

Grapefruit white chocolate cake from the book Snacking Cakes. Again, made this for dinner Saturday night which was subsequently cancelled when friends got sick. I dropped off this cake and focaccia at their house yesterday and they loved both, but especially this cake which is greater than the sum of its parts.

16 Likes

A picture for 314😋

19 Likes

IS IT JUST ME???!!??!

Cranberry Oat Scones

When I made this recipe last week, I was happy to report that if you forget to add the sugar, the scones come out just fine. Not as sweet, but just fine. Today I am here to advise you that if you forget to add the oats to your oat scones, they also come out fine. Not the same, but just fine.

The first time I botched it, I hadn’t yet cleaned up from making a mini batch, and it was no big deal to make a 2nd mini batch. Today I made the Full Monty – dough for 16 scones – and had 4 in the oven and the rest unbaked in the freezer before discovering the cup of oats on the counter just as I was finished cleaning up. DOH! That would explain, she says, why I only got 13 scones out of it instead of 16. I finished baking off the batch of oat-less scones. Meanwhile, I pulled the portioned scones out of the freezer, and reworked in ¾ of the missing oats. I baked off a few of those and they were great, and I still have half-a-dozen repaired scones in the freezer.

Sheesh. The good news is this recipe is a very forgiving recipe for people over 60.

Photo shows 3 oat-less scones in the back row, and 2 oat-filled scones in the front row.

I took Caitlin’s advice and added orange zest this time. Very nice!

I’ve had a string of baking “errors and omissions” lately – frustrating. I’m baking ciabatta today, also – wish me luck.

16 Likes

That truly made me laugh out loud, thank you for that. And both versions look great!

3 Likes

I’m redeemed. The ciabatta came out perfect. I’ve made this recipe many times before - its a household favorite.

Cooks Illustrated Ciabatta.

23 Likes

Those are lovely!

1 Like

SIMPLE SESAME CAKE from Snacking Cakes

I was craving something sweet and had some tahini approaching its expiration date so I made the sesame cake from ”Snacking Cakes.”. I have had this bookmarked since I read Sallyt’s review on the chowhound BCOTM thread and it did not disappoint. I made the version with chocolate chips. It is supposed to have sesame seeds on the top, but I ran out. This is definitely worthy of a repeat. It freezes well.

16 Likes

I’m so glad that you liked it! it’s one of my top 3 from the book - which is saying A LOT as there are so many good recipes.

2 Likes

Ok so I know the grapefruit and white chocolate is on your list what is the third one?
Inquiring minds want to know!
:blush:

2 Likes

Espresso chocolate chip!

5 Likes

Thanks @sallyt,
I guess that I better start baking! That will make my boys very happy.

1 Like

It was great. I am not sure I would have tried it if I had not read your review. I always think of sesame as an ingredient for savory dishes.

2 Likes

@stockholm28, I completely understand that.
I always thought of sesame seeds only in desserts until I was introduced to sushi and breaded sesame chicken.
P.S.
I use tumeric in main courses exclusively the Lebanese don’t they reserve it for desserts. It’s another unique cultural difference.

What are your other 2 favorites?

See above! I love the grapefruit white chocolate, espresso chocolate chip, and the sesame tahini cake the most.

2 Likes

4 ingredient Persian walnut cookies, small batch.

17 Likes

Cherry tortini from the Gourmet cookbook. Crust is toasted almonds and arrowroot biscuits (couldn’t find nilla wafers). Filling is a meringue, whipped cream, amaretto, sour cherries (cooked with sugar and amaretto), and amaretti cookies. Very tasty.

22 Likes

Molina is a brand. It’s made in Mexico. Not sure if it’s pure vanilla, probably not, but it has a unique taste that I love. I can buy it in Arizona, so it’s presumably safe and doesn’t contain coumarin.

3 Likes