What are you baking? March 2022

I made focaccia from Samin. We were supposed to have friends over last night for dinner but they got sick. Ahhh! I had already started making the focaccia dough and the grapefruit cake. This was a good focaccia but not my favorite.

15 Likes

@bmorecupcake This cake looks perfect for Passover - how much fruit did you add? Thanks!

I’m curious to know more about the photo of your avatar, was it something you baked?

@sallyt , Cookbook author Bonnie Stern has an outstanding focaccia recipe I’ve prepared a few times this year. If you would like me to post the recipe here, I can. While straight forward, waiting time to prep the moist dough, only to be sorta meh, is a baker’s bummer.

2 Likes

Wow, looks so delicious. What’s not to love about almond cake!

Thanks. I realized at breakfast this morning I was in a real baking mode this week!

I’d love the recipe @Rooster ! Thanks!

Sure!

(closeup photo)

16 Likes

I’m not going to bake this since I’ve got some weight management issues. Posting this here, in case anyone is inspired. I might make it for a special occasion later this year.

Kyiv Cake aka Kievsky

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/04/hazelnut-cake-recipe-olia-hercules-cook-residency

Dacha in Brooklyn is selling one at a fundraiser at Gertie’s, too https://www.instagram.com/p/CbC1OvBOZsD/

11 Likes

About 15 to 16 raspberries. Blackberries are okay, too. For some reason, I don’t like the flavor of blueberries with this cake. Strawberries give off too much moisture; if that’s all you have, you’ll need to increase bake time by a lot and definitely let it cool completely and then rest some. I used a regular oven this time, but I’ve made it in a good toaster convection oven and that oven dried up the fruit moisture better. I would recommend 6" pan like in the original recipe. You’ll see the website has updated notes about using an 8" pan. I would not if you are adding fruit (the middle gets too soggy.)

5 Likes

Thanks! This is so helpful. I have, um, 5 6" pans so I’ll use that - maybe for Passover? Maybe just cause?

2 Likes

@naf My avatar photo is indeed something I baked. Here’s a lightly edited copy of the writeup I posted Feb 3 over on the Chowhound site.
MORNING GLORY CAKE, p. 56 of Yossy Arefi’s excellent cookbook Snacking Cakes. I made the coconut (in place of pineapple) variation, baked 50 minutes in a Nordicware Jubilee loaf pan. I used sweetened shredded coconut, not the unsweetened listed in the Flavor Variations directions. I stirred all the chopped toasted pecans (1/2 C) into the batter and did not use any flax seed.

The slices are good-looking as well as great tasting. No added dusting of powdered sugar needed, and the cake is moist without being wet or heavy. This one aged well (recipe says it can be stored 2 days countertop or 3 days refrigerated). After 2 days countertop the cake remained evenly moist - not dry, not soggy/heavy. On day 1 we were not inclined to garnish with whipped cream or ice cream but we added some for the final slices.

You’ll see a LOT of Bundt pans in my baking reports. I live about a 15-minute drive from the NordicWare factory and Outlet store and over the span of 35 years have accumulated at least a pan a year from their “seconds” sale shelves.

11 Likes

Sound wonderful and thx for explaining. Is it possible to post a photo too? It’s small in the avatar, I was wondering if it was some star anise or a special pan. And since CH is closing soon. Thanks.

I gotta ask…

1 Like

Large photo of my cake that was baked in the Jubilee loaf pan.

14 Likes

Which one I made? Or which is my favorite? I really like this one from Alexandra Cooks but I’m always searching.

5 Likes

Agree with the AKitchen version. She’s aces on high hydration with ease. As you read through HO you’ll find several threads discussing Ali’s recipes.

Lovely cake indeed. Love that pan! Thanks!

Fan of bundt pans. I like to look at all those ancient metallic pans on ebay.

2 Likes

oh great! I love her -

1 Like

Updating to say that the cake was delicious. I elected not to glaze/drizzle this one, which is unusual for me (I did brush on a homemade orange syrup while it was still warm, though.) It was being served essentially for breakfast, though, so I figured something a touch less sweet would be OK.

I bake a tremendous amount of exactly this sort of thing (citrus pound cake.) I know I should diversify, but darnit, that’s what I like :slight_smile:

7 Likes