What are you baking? March 2022

@Rooster -My cream cheese icing is one learned from my grandmother long ago as the “correct” one for carrot cake, scaled down. For this batch of cupcakes I used 1 T. softened butter, 3 T. softened cream cheese, 1 C. powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Mash the butter and cream cheese together with a fork, mash-in the powder sugar, stir in the vanilla until frosting is smooth. (Optional add 1/2 tsp. milk if needed to get your preferred consistency; I did not need this time). I came up a bit short - frosted 19 of the 20 cupcakes.

5 Likes

Yep, learned the same from my family. Thanks. Always pays to ask.

1 Like

Baked off a batch of olive oil popovers (past photo) for the mid-morning meetup. We spread BRINS grapefruit-rosemary jam on them while warm. I like to bring a homemade bread loaf to meetups but when I bring popovers they go fast. What is it about popovers?!! Recipe adapted from Jessie Sheehan Bakes. Her olive oil baking series is fun.

19 Likes

Beautiful! Had never thought of olive oil in popovers. You mention taking them for a meeting, do they stay inflated? I know the ones I make, which are delicious, would be a saggy mess if transported.

1 Like

I was taught to create a small slit on the bottom of each popover to allow the steam to escape right out of the oven to prevent collapse and the meetup today was in my barn so I just did my best on the timing!

3 Likes

Chelsea buns. I haven’t baked these for a very long time and really have to fit them into the schedule more often. Fresh cake yeast makes these the softest, most pillowy, not-too-sweet treats.

23 Likes

EARLY morning Breakfast potluck with the neighbors on a very rainy/windy Saturday discussing yard cleanup and the new trash guidelines for our collective hilltop yards. A seasonal conversation that improves with carbs and java on tap!

Adapted from David Lebovitz recipe for Bostock. I didn’t add sliced almonds this time because I used the excellent almond extract from Watkins.

(previous photo on repeat).

19 Likes

My sister requested I bake scones for her birthday. I had raspberry puree and heavy cream to use up and followed a scone recipe that requires no butter or fuss. I’m making a raspberry compound butter to go with.

19 Likes

GORGEOUS @rooster

Thanks @sallyt . Some of the puree took a bit too much heat in spots but my sister already hugged me so I’m happy :+1: she’s happy.

3 Likes

I’m not much of a baker, but I made a batch of brownies that were the best I’ve ever had. It called for added chocolate chunks and chopped nuts, which I didn’t use. I did use King Arthur Double Dark Cocoa Blend and Molina Mexican vanilla (slightly different taste, and my favorite). MAN they were good. I’d post a photo but they’re all gone.
Ha- just caught a typo- originally typed Double Dark Coca Powder, which would’ve explained the addictive quality they had :flushed:

10 Likes

I love how easy to make, and how tender, those all-cream scones are. Love the idea of fruit purée to flavor them, too.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been on a short list of ingredients/max flavor kick lately.

Is Molina a blend? What flavor notes do you taste?

1 Like

braided orange cake

Bad-lighting photo of my first cake in my new Nordic Ware braided pan. This is a recipe I found on RLB’s site; she calls it "Gateau tres orange." It’s got orange zest and orange oil in the cake, and a lightly-sweetened fresh orange juice syrup brushed on while still warm.

This recipe had an error or two (highly unusual for Rose!) so I’m crossing my fingers. Mom’s taking it to the church social hour tomorrow, with strict instructions from me to bring me back a slice for quality control :slight_smile:

Just have to add, now that I’m making my first photo post, that this interface is so much nicer than Chowhound’s!

21 Likes

Almond flour cake.

We were literally fighting over it. I was worried no one would have the patience to let it cool properly. And I had fresh coffee arriving in the mail today and it would be gone by then. So I literally hid it in the car outside during a snowstorm. The coffee was held up due to the weather, so I have the last slice hidden on top of the fridge right now for tomorrow.

The cake tastes like a raspberry financier, although the texture is a bit denser than a financier. Overall, I prefer it over a financier because the long bake time (50 minutes for me because extra moisture from fruit) develops a gorgeous crust. I eat it out of hand because the crust is difficult to slice through on a plate.

The original receipt actually inverts the cake so the bottom crust is on top. However, since I wanted to add fruit, I kept it right side up. I’ve tried spreading the batter over fruit placed in the bottom of the pan, but the batter is too thick to do this properly.

This one needs parchment. I learned the hard way and after many failed attempts wrote on my printout, “Don’t listen to yourself: Use parchment!” Even with parchment, the bottom browned nicely.

Here’s the other almond flour cake in my repertoire. It’s much lighter and reminds me a little of the sponge cakes I buy in Manhattan’s Chinatown. If you are confident, you can forego parchment with this one. I have a recent pic of this one, too, with matcha whipped cream and macerated strawberries. I’ll look for it and post.

Found it.

25 Likes

Oh man - just gorgeous @Rooster!
Between the popovers and these I’m :yum: over here!

2 Likes

Bookmarked that almond cake - thanks!

2 Likes

Ok @bmorecupcake i am cracking up at this :joy:

3 Likes

Sounds fab, both almond cakes!

So funny! They can actually plot vs you and drive the car with your cake.

2 Likes