What are you baking? July 2023

Maybe use a food processor to get granola crumbs that you combine with melted butter. Press most of it into the bottom of the pan to make a crust. Bake 10 minutes. Top with your fruit. Sprinkle with the remaining granola - combined with some flour and egg to make sand-textured dust. Drizzle with more butter, so the topping technique is similar to Willies Crisp.

Or take a look at this oatmeal jam bar recipe RStuart recommended a while back. And use your granola (perhaps ground a bit) in place of the oatmeal. https://www.thespruceeats.com/one-bowl-oatmeal-jam-bars-4843487

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Pizza counts, right

Deep dish cheese. 1lb full fat low moisture mozz, 8oz non-smoked provolone. Homemade sauce from Cento San Marzanos. Dough from scratch, with 20% semolina.

I think mine is better than any of the commercial.options in town.

17 Likes

That looks fantastic!

1 Like

From the looks of it, my money would be on you

2 Likes

Definitely not ‘canary’ top!

I’ve not heard the term ‘canary top’ before… What does it refer to?

I DO know that a traditional Chicago thin crust is oven baked til the cheese is lightly browned, more so than a NYC-style or neopolitan pizza. Underbaked ones are referred to as ‘blonde’ …

deep dish tradtionally has the sauce on top, since you’re baking for 30-40 minutes. The cheese on top would burn.

1 Like

Peach and Ginger Cake from Pastry Love. I didn’t make the crumb topping for this. It’s really good! Moist but not too much. The batter was very gingery from the powdered and crystallized ginger, but the baked cake is mellower. Supposed to be a good keeper so looking forward to it lasting a few days.

14 Likes

Looks delish!

1 Like

Canary refers to the yellowish/white color of the cooked cheese topping. I understand canary is not desirable, and I think it is a Chicago term from Vic’s and Nick’s.

1 Like

A very moist delicious blueberry muffin which has almond flour, buttermilk and sour cream in ingredients, topped with sugar flavoured with nutmeg. The recipe is from 100 Morning Treats

by Sarah Kieffers

14 Likes

It looks so tender and I love the proportion of blueberries to cake. Beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you. 100 Morning Treats is a wonderful baking book. All the recipes do take a little more different ingredients and time but well worth it. I really like all of Sarah Kieffer’s books.

3 Likes

August thread is up!

I’ll have to look into the book. I’ve never heard of it so I appreciate the recommendation :blush:

My turn:

I doubled the recipe to make 12 muffins but didn’t double the fresh raspberries. I had the 12 oz pack from Costco so I was 4 oz short. I think it’s ok for my peeps.

Excuse poor quality of photo, maybe I’ll take a better one tomorrow when I taste. Not as cute as Sally’s but skewer came out clean after about 33 minutes.

It’s all done by hand, mostly with whisk.

6 Likes

@Aubergine - they look great! How did they taste? Any gumminess?

I tried one that was warm, seemed ok but needed more sugar!

So, my friend just tasted one, not gummy but not sweet enough. I know I put the correct amount of sugar. Think I won’t repeat this recipe.

Finally making fruit bars with granola again, with stonefruit jam I made this summer that was way too sweet. I used the recipe from Serious Eats , which is very similar to the one from Spruce Eats posted by @MidwesternerTT . Thanks again!

Should be cool enough to cut soon.

ETA

9 Likes