What are you baking? July 2023

Smart.

I learned from a friend to line Pyrex glass oblong pans with foil, no greasing at all. Cakes turn out perfectly.

2 Likes

I keep being very close to buying that book, Gateau, but then failing to follow through.

Have you looked through a copy?

I got it as an ebook from my library

I think it’s a worthwhile book, she offers a lot of variations on a theme to many of the cakes. Most are simple but very satisfying. I’m happy I purchased it and I think most people who own it would agree.

2 Likes

Blueberry pie, made with cultivated blueberries from our back yard.

Will cut into this one tomorrow.

19 Likes

I found myself unable to resist buying a big box of local apricots this morning at the farmer’s market, thinking about this photo and the fact that I have lemon verbena growing in my garden. I wonder if you’d be willing to share the recipe you created here?

1 Like

Check your message box for info, lmk what additional information you might need. May I suggest that both of these recipes are foolproof, and might be best made as written.
@LindaWhit see your message box for same

2 Likes

A Clafoutis from Snackable Bakes. I used sweet cherries. It had a nice creamy consistency. Next time i would use a blender to mix

the custard part . I think it would make a smoother batter. So simple and fast to make and we loved it.

11 Likes

I forgot to indicate that I doubled the lemon verbena leaves, pulverized them in the food processor with the sugar, followed by the eggs until the mixture was foamy, creamy looking and pale green with no discernible bits of leaves. Then drizzled in the olive oil and processed again until homogenous. Followed that with the yogurt and processed until completely incorporated.
Your call if you want to proceed with the flour or remove and add flour by hand. Scrape and mix well with spatula before proceeding. @mig
@LindaWhit

2 Likes

Thanks. Was the cake base the base for the pear recipe or the peach recipe you sent?

It was a little bit of both, but as I said, either of the codified recipes are spot on. I’ve made the peach/apricot with verveine at least five times and since you have both, I would recommend you follow that recipe. There are pics of the cake on the Gateau thread. If you want to avoid any dome effect, cake strips are effective. There’s a pic of one I made in the party Bundt there as well. It is also pretty in a tube pan.
Addendum…I use self rising flour frequently with the yogurt cakes , and used it for the cake upthread. If I’m using AP, I use Gold Medal bleached and Argo baking powder.

1 Like

Fig, hazelnut torte, flaked almonds. Very similar to a Bakewell tart filling, this has almost equal quantities of hazelnut flour and self rising flour. The hazelnut flavor is particularly pleasing with the figs. Raspberry coulis was a nice combination with the fig.

11 Likes

Thanks, @Nannybakes , but it wasnt me who asked gor the recipe. Im nowhere near the baker you and others on this thread are!

Darn! Well maybe you’ll get to try the recipe anyway😁!
Ah! I thought since you had”liked” mig’s comment regarding the recipe, I assumed you also were interested in it. Your response was probably relating to her apricot purchase.

1 Like

Sarah Kieffer’s coffee blondies with toasted pecans and chocolate chips. I made a two-thirds recipe in a 9” square pan, using the remains of an egg I had beaten to use for an egg wash and browning the butter. I kept the proportions aligned, except for the brown sugar, which I reduced by 25% (the right move; they were plenty sweet). I used half each semisweet and 72% bittersweet chips, using up stuff in my pantry. I wish I’d pulled them a minute sooner, but they still had a good chewy texture and butterscotch flavor. I used cold brew concentrate for the coffee, and there was just a hint of coffee flavor, so next time I’ll also add some instant espresso powder. I’d also bake the same amount of batter in an 8” pan for a thicker result.

14 Likes

Yum! You’re getting to be my favorite baker! :heart:
Your last several contributions have been absolutely stunning!

1 Like

Thank you Barney, I’m honored. My baking is very spontaneous depending on what’s “in house”. I make it up as I go along !

1 Like

I think I am going to build a ‘summer kitchen’ attached to the house. Maybe not attached, we have bruins. The summers are getting hotter for longer and I need to bake in a real oven, not just using the bbq grill or the Girl Scout box oven. It would the make canning projects easier, too. Does anyone have a ‘summer kitchen’?

2 Likes