What are you baking? July 2022

Matcha crinkles.

6 Likes

Sure!

The problem is now, I’ve a lot of leftover. I wonder if I can freeze them without soaking.

They should freeze well if you haven’t soaked them.
You can turn them into French toast if you don’t want more baba au rhum.

1 Like

Good idea! Thanks.

1 Like

you weren’t kidding about being on a matcha kick! i admire your dedication to a theme :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d like to add, if anyone knows of good uses for sweet/fresh (uncultured) buttermilk leftovers, I’d be happy to hear. It seems there are so many recipes for storebought/cultured buttermilk that the swamp my searches, and frankly the most common recommendation I’ve read so far is “drink it like skim milk, which it basically is”.

Well, I guess that’s true (it is nearly completely defatted milk), but I’m looking for additional ideas if anyone has any.

Otherwise, I could get a commercial bacteria to culture it, or just keep adding a dab of yogurt, which ends up OK after a few days but not exactly what you expect cultured buttermilk to be. Or only culture the cream before butter making, but that takes a few days and I’m a bad procrastinator and don’t always think in advance.

Edit - what kind of acid cheese would sweet buttermilk make? All the proteins are still in there, so the caseins should curdle out (leaving the when protein). Basically a completely non-fat ricotta?

Edit2 - sorry, just realized this is baking not general cooking and I’ve gone far astray.

You can just use it to make bread without worrying about it being like cultured buttermilk. Use it in place of water, milk, or cultured buttermilk.

1 Like

Since you’ve made these a few times, can I assume the recipe is a winner? They look great!

I’d brine chicken in it.

1 Like

An old thread on Buttermilk uses::

5 Likes

Cherry pie for the 4th of July (a day early). Had some shrinkage so not as beautiful as I hoped, but my stars and stripes theme survived the oven!

18 Likes

I like them, my friends too. You can get a copycat recipe from google. Recipe says to cut scones (don’t twist!) and rework dough and cut again. After, they want you to toss out remaining dough; I never do. I’m willing to eat the “uglies” They made about 14, I ate 1 ugly, gave the rest to friends.

This time I cut one horizontally, in toaster for 2 minutes, then a little French butter from TJ, and raspberry preserves. Strawberry preserves are more common.

If you make: you preheat oven to 500° When you place scones into oven, you IMMEDIATELY lower temp to 425°. Once I forgot to do this, smelled them, caught in time. I retyped that part in big letters, highlighted!

I think they taste better than fancy ones from Whole Foods, those are too soft.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the details!

It’s gorgeous!

1 Like

Hi Shellybean, if your recipe is online, could you link it? I’ve looked at several and am seeing a lot of fat, fudgy looking ones. From the top-down photo you showed it might be hard to tell, but yours look thinner and I think my daughter would prefer that.

Thanks, either way!

These aren’t thin , but that can be be due to how much you whip the eggs (they’re not made by creaming method). If you whip less they’re going to puff up less. I do see they’re thinner than a lot of other recipes that show up! There’s no chocolate here so these aren’t fudgy. I think they’re better today as they’ve basically settled and become a bit denser.
It’s this recipe, but with quadruple the salt because the recipe is way under-salted as written. I also added vanilla because I like it with matcha.

If you want a thinner, chewier cookie, you could try this one. She has really good recipes. I’d double the salt here, though. Actually triple it because it’s 153 grams of flour and this type of cookie tastes best at 2% salt, so 3 grams in this case.

Or these (they look more crisp than chewy, but the creator says they’re chewy on the inside and I tend to like her recipes):

Could also try a brownie cookie:

All these people use convection ovens, so I use a higher baking temperature for their recipes.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing these - they look right up my alley! Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a recipe on the web, but will see if the library has the book the recipe is in. Love a good excuse to check out a new cookbook!

1 Like

Cool, thanks much for both the recipes and the helpful hints! I just mentioned your salt ratios to my daughter and she says “spot on!”.

1 Like

You’re welcome!
I forgot to post so you can see how thick they are here.

5 Likes

Peach cobbler! My wife is making it, along with the potato salad. I am smoking the brisket.