What are you baking? January 2024

A half-batch of King Arthur’s cream tea scones with a chocolate-hazelnut filling. I used about ½ cup of rugelach filling from the freezer which was leftover from holiday baking.

19 Likes

How were they?

Pretty hard not to love a cream scone with chocolate. I used dark chocolate and the lesser amount of sugar; I think if I were to make them again with dark chocolate, I would use the greater amount of sugar. Could have been just a tad sweeter.

I do think Stella Parks pretty much has the milk chocolate scone nailed.

4 Likes

An easy version of knackebrod from True North Kitchen. This is a yeasted cracker with oats. I used 50/50 medium rye and white whole wheat.

These are super easy, fun to make, and result in a tasty cracker which shares little similarity in texture with what you might find in the supermarket cracker section. Eventually I want to try the recipe in The Rye Baker (looking at you @jammy), which calls for a preferment.

8 Likes

Very nice crispbread! It’s time to break out the kruskavel for me, too. I haven’t made any for a while and it’s so good with butter and jam.

1 Like

…and with smoked fish and cream cheese. :yum:

2 Likes

Chain Baker’s rye, raisin, and honey scones. These are delicious!
I used butter and baking soda and even with the butter they’re honestly more like soda breads than scones, but so tasty! In fact they remind me of his awesome cheesy soda breads in texture. The baking powder might have them taste a bit more scone-like.
I LOVE the anise in these. I was a bit nervous because four grams is a lot, but it’s perfect.

These are not sweet. I actually increased the honey because 20 g is just one tbsp of honey and I thought a bit more sweetness would be good so I used 35 g. I’d use 40 next time and these still wouldn’t really taste sweet.
I used bread flour since I don’t have white whole wheat flour and that was the right move as the AP flour here cannot absorb the amount of liquid these call for. I would have almost a batter if I were to use it.

8 Likes

Fiddling around still with the True North Kitchen knackebrod recipe, today’s version is 50% rye, 25% white whole wheat, and 25% spelt.

Hoping for a slightly airier crumb, I changed the way the yeast is incorporated. The recipe has you mix it in with the dry. Instead, I warmed the milk to 110 and proved the instant yeast in the milk. Then whisked in the room temperature butter until it melted. Wet was then added to dry.

I also divided, scaled and pre-shaped the dough before the hour-long proof, just to make it a bit more efficient to roll out the resulting balls into rounds.

I love the added flavor of the spelt, and these did come out just slightly flakier, so I think I’ll stick to my method.

7 Likes

Violet Bakery cinnamon buns. A non-yeasted, baking-powder bun with cinnamon and cardamom. I recently purchased the VB cookbook, but the recipe is on Food52 here.

I made a half-batch, mixing it by hand and grating in the butter. My rectangle came out to 9” wide, but thicker than the 1/8” called for (I ran out of room). The buns were baked in a standard muffin tin (recipe calls for a deep-welled tin) and took 30 minutes to bake. I probably could have gone 1-2 minutes longer.

It was a fun project, and an easy, biscuit-like treat. I might play around with making them smaller (narrower slices with more buns per batch). In any case, I’ll make them again.

Further thoughts:

1. I don’t see why you couldn’t use a food processor here if you wanted.
  2. As the dough is not sweetened, it might lend itself to savory bun bakes as well.

13 Likes

No yeast! Interesting

3 Likes

@MunchkinRedux - I love that book, love those buns!

Here are my notes from 2016 on the cookbook:

Notes on recipes from Violet Bakery Cookbook

• The butterscotch blondies – FABULOUS
  • Banana bread – I use 450 grams of peeled bananas and bake for 65 minutes
  • Love the cinnamon rolls
  • Salted caramel sauce – very good, but SK’s is better and easier
  • Salted caramel buttercream - very good but needs more caramel
  • Strawberry ginger scones – COLOSSAL disaster
9 Likes

Craving coconut cream pie - any tried and true recipes? thanks!

I don’t own the Violet Bakery Cookbook, but I have made and would recommend the coffee cardamom walnut cakes.

13 Likes

Yours are beautiful! Next time I’ll know to leave myself a little more room when rolling out in order to get that last layer.

I also have bookmarked from this book the ham scones, the wild blackberry crumble tart, and the apple galette.

ETA: I’ve also made the (sorta British style) scone recipe from this book - another keeper.

1 Like

Thought this would be appreciated here as it made me smile when I took a look. Someone on Reddit was confused thinking that the cream was left out of the ingredients list in this recipe when it’s just a case of poor cookbook editing.

3 Likes

Yes, “cream” as a verb, not a noun.

1 Like

These are Caramel Slices from Scandinavian from Scratch. These really

deliver what they promise. Crisp and crackly on the outside with a chewy texture and caramel taste. Dough does contain light corn syrup. Sliced while warm. I had one with tea so delicious.

17 Likes

Tigerkaka.

I used an an almagamation of recipes from True North Kitchen (here) and Alice Medrich (here).

My cake contains olive oil (Medrich) and buttermilk (TNK). I split the batter 55/45 between the vanilla and the chocolate. If anything, I might try a 60/40 split next attempt, as I had a little extra of the chocolate batter at the end.

I made a half-recipe (TNK volumes) in an 8”x4” Fat Daddio loaf pan, baking it for 60 minutes at 325.

The moisture level, flavor and texture came out great, and I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s taste, as I suspect a good thing will be yet improved overnight.

19 Likes

That is a work of art!!

5 Likes

Thank you! It was so easy - no need to marble the batter, just layer it. Tasty, too!

3 Likes