What are you baking? January 2024

I can practically smell these!

3 Likes

But why do my biscuits and scones always topple? This batch is better than most (I used my largest cutter) - can you possibly laminate too much? I didn’t think that was possible.

I’ve had my eye on these! They look fabulous.

it’s a solid recipe. I think she gets 10 biscuits out of a batch; I’ve been getting 12+. Otherwise, as per the book!

1 Like

Yes the ciabatta buns I made were enormous.
I read over the recipe but when it said to butter it, then fold in quarters, I thought you’d be folding 2 butter layers together and 2 non-butter layers together. Does the butter get evenly distributed in the end?

Yes - I’ve found all the portion sizes in this book to be quite generous!

The way you envision it is correct, and I find the butter does all get incorporated by the end. Once you make the folds, resist the temptation to pat it down a bit before wrapping (while the butter still is soft), else you may get a bit coming out the sides. I accidentally did this, and ended up just tucking a bit back in when I pulled it out of the fridge for the next set.

I had just the tiniest bit of weeping while baking - far less than I’ve experienced with other recipes.

3 Likes

I made a genoise that tastes like chocolate chip cookies and amazingly got it just right on my first try.
Its destination was this ice cream cake filled with dulce de leche ice cream. I covered it in homemade cool whip and used some leftover ganache to pipe hearts that I stuck on the cake. It tastes amazing! Learned a lot in case I want to repeat that will make things much easier and prettier.

15 Likes

It looks plenty pretty to me right now, and sounds delicious.

1 Like

Thank you! I am really happy this turned out so well on first attempt and can’t wait to try out different flavors.

I saw these on WFD and swooned. So scrumptious!

1 Like

Lemon Poppyseed Cake from Sweet by Goh/Ottolenghi. I was looking for something quick to put together this morning for my book club and this worked well. My book must be in storage still, so I used a recipe from Food52. It called for sour cream rather than heavy cream, with the explanation that the heavy cream here is not nearly as thick as in the UK. Sadly, that is true, but I didn’t have sour cream. I used a mix of Greek yogurt and whipping cream that was about the right thickness. My cake did dip a bit in the middle, but I know this is common with this recipe. Anyway, it is so tasty. I had 3 enormous lemons, so lots of flavour.

21 Likes

This looks so good.

6 Likes

Yes, looks perfect to me!

1 Like

I woke up with ambition and pent-up baking plans. I made all 3 of the items I’d intended to bake on alternating days starting last Monday.

Zucchini crust egg cups - recipe from youtube Mine took 20 minutes for 2nd bake, not 10.

Zucchini walnut raisin muffins, a Taste of Home recipe recommended by Munchkin Redux over on the breakfast discussion.

And whole wheat blueberry muffin tops (again), which can now be stored in freezer space freed up from Christmas cookies.

13 Likes

Ohhhh myyyy.

1 Like

I decided to make cottage cheese cookies from leftover queso crema, which is more like cream cheese in terms of fat content, while being crumbly and drier like farmers cheese.
I added some orange oil and poppy seeds to my dough and I love these, but of course it’s because they’re basically scones in a different form :joy:.

11 Likes

I’ve had four 4” unbaked sugar tart crusts in my freezer for a couple of months. Wanting to get them out of there, and for lack of a better idea for filling, I went British and made apricot jam tarts. No embellishments, just quick and easy. I get bonus points for using up the last of a half-jar of Wilkin & Sons jam out of the fridge.

17 Likes

Easy Discard Sourdough Bread. This is an easy bread to make. You will have a baked loaf the same day. I followed the receipe but after mixing the bread i let it rest for 30 minutes and the gave it 3 stretch and folds 3 times every 30 minutes. Second time making it. I find the sour taste develops a bit more on the second day.

12 Likes

Gingerbread blondie ( from this cookbook) https://www.amazon.com/Gingerbread-Jennifer-Lindner-McGlinn/dp/0811861910) to use up the last few TBs of heavy cream… so good!

14 Likes

Corn bread. Served with chili for dinner

11 Likes