What are you baking? January 2024

World peace IS a sable.

Maybe I could make ones that are prettier than world peace …

I don’t realize that. Sorry.

I think dried cherry and pistachio icebox cookies are quite pretty.

From the eater rather than baker perspective, I don’t really like eating sables or shortbread-type cookies as much as I like eating a crispy chewy snickerdoodle or tollhouse cookie, or a crispy Norwegian Lace cookie.

I’ve been gifted cookies several times by a few home bakers on this site and on Chowhound. While I appreciate all the cookies, the cookies I’ve liked the most have been the Blondies and the lemon cookies.

2 Likes

No worries. I’m poking around at other sable recipes now.

What about those ricotta lacey cookies?

2 Likes

Voting for the Baking Cookbook ends shortly:

1 Like

What about rolled out or piped sables with a ganache or caramel ganache filling?

Unlike @Phoenikia, I much prefer a cookie like sablés to soft and chewy ones which are by design much sweeter. I also find most people make soft and chewy cookies in the USA for this type of thing, so it gets a bit dull for me as someone who loves sandy and crisp cookies.

I made a savory zucchini roll.
Unlike most savory rolls, this isn’t a soufflé or leavened with baking powder, though I might like adding a bit for a puffier roll.
This is really easy to roll, looks pretty, and tastes pretty good, though mine would taste better if my cream cheese filling hadn’t needed to be supplemented with Dominican queso crema, which is quite bland and even with generous seasoning just isn’t quite as nice as cream cheese with its tang. Something like Boursin would probably be very, good, too.
I do wish I had something like smoked salmon to add to the filling! Or maybe a tuna filling would be tasty.

12 Likes

Are brownies not an option? As everyone knows, I’m not personally a fan, but they certainly are popular.

You could also use the chocolate to dip cookies in.

Or say coconut macaroons with chocolate-dipped bottoms.

A sandwich cookie:

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

A Braided Danish made with the other half of danish dough. Recipe from 100 Morning Treats. Filling was cream cheese sweetened with 3 tablespoons of icing sugar, lemon juice and zest. Topped with lemon curd and after braiding egg washed and sprinkled with coarse sugar. After rolling out dough to proper dimensions, i should have refrigerated it for a while because it got soft and braiding wasn’t as neat as i would like. Lesson learned but

its beyond delicious.

18 Likes

i cannot, as a baker of some small but cherished repute, bring brownies to an event. :sob:

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Looks and sounds delicious!

1 Like

They would go over better than you might expect. People love something that feels comforting and nostalgic. They can get pretty at a bakery.

3 Likes

The cookies you listed are considered part of the “soft and chewy” category. Soft does not mean a cookie is cakey. Tollhouse cookies are soft and chewy while a cookie like Pfeffernusse is soft and cakey.
Crisp edges are a common feature of soft and chewy cookies.

1 Like

Brownie in a sablé with salted caramel? :joy:

very funny but these look delicious :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks

Gorgeous!

2 Likes