what are you Baking? February 2024

That’s funny, I just mentioned recently that I am of the unpopular opinion that bagels are not great for sandwiches except that a lot of bagels are terrible and don’t resemble a real one except in shape, so that’s why they get used for sandwiches when much better options exist for that purpose.
Along with hating runny eggs in said sandwiches as I feel runny eggs are for plates :joy:.

3 Likes

TIL the word/food/bread “bialy”. Thanks! I need to start looking at more Polish foods than just pierogi and some sausages, given it’s part of my heritage (I’m a mutt).

But these might be right up her alley as a bread-type vehicle for sandwiches, minus (in her particular case) the filling for the depression. We’ll give them a whirl.

I always did for the kids when I made them bagel sandwiches (first horizontally bisected per usual, I mean, then cut once across the middle vertically). But I don’t know what she’s doing now. But yeah, stuff’s going to squish out no matter what. My favorite (and a family favorite) is tightly rolled slices of hard salami. At least that way, when they try to squish out, you can “properly” poke them back in using just the pinky. :slight_smile:

I got hooked on bagel/meat/cream cheese sandwiches about the time I was leaving the Army, and never stopped. Right out of the oven, I might eat one sliced with just some cream cheese, but next day or later, they’re sandwich vehicles as far as I’m concerned.

2 Likes

I think of bialy as a very New York/East Coast thing, though yes, Poland is the birthplace. Because they’re not boiled like bagels, they make for more manageable sandwiches, and what you use for the indentation can really add to the sandwich!

3 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: What are You Baking? March 2024

And dipped pretzels! I use to go nuts unwrapping those candies! It’s been awhile, and I don’t know if I will do them again, but it was fun!

10 Likes

I started a new thread for March

6 Likes

(@mig)

…and here’s a CI illustration for English tea goodies. All the talk of English tea has me thinking I need one of those tiered serving pieces….

9 Likes

You do. You definitely do. :laughing:

2 Likes

I would happily partake of everything there for my next afternoon tea.

5 Likes

I have a couple of these but recently picked up another for 2.50 at the Goodwill specifically for this event!

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What are You Baking? March 2024

I do hope you take some pictures of the event and share them here. Sounds fun!

4 Likes

Nothing like a church tea.

2 Likes

Annnnnd here’s what I heard in my head when I read the start of your sentence:

But I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie.” Harry Burns, “When Harry Met Sally”

:laughing:

5 Likes

Oops. Had to have it. Purchased on Etsy and delivered all the way from the UK. Can be used as either 3 or 4 tiered.

15 Likes

Pretty!

4 Likes

CLEARLY you had to have it, seeing all the other blue and white in the background. :rofl:

5 Likes

I LOVE IT
Is a complete sentence

5 Likes

Ha ha. Yes, blue and white is my thing.

It was a tough call between a matching set and a mismatched set. CLEARLY I would like to have both, and I might keep an eye out for similar sized plates and try my hand at drilling. I love that these breakdown for storage, because I really don’t have room for this. :wink:

7 Likes

It could make a beautiful display “sculpture” if it can be protected from accidental breakage! I love this blue and white art and a mismatched set also sounds lovely.

I still have my blue and white Biscay stoneware from Royal Doulton acquired when I married the first time in 1977. It’s plain white with a deep blue rim, still going strong, and combines really well with a few different, more elaborate blue and white patterned salad plates that I have acquired to mismatch with it. Also I somehow acquired several different patterns of blue and white cloth napkins and tablecloths!

8 Likes