What are you baking? December 2022

Looks good, but I would have never done the cardamom (yeech). (c;

My favorite spice. Can’t stand cinnamon. Especially given the rampant overuse on everything…

4 Likes

Baked some impossible mini quiches for dinner apps, which turned into a comedy of errors.

Didn’t have enough milk, but I decided kefir would do as a buttermilk-kinda sub.

Forgot to add the faux-bisquick and started filling the mini cupcake tin… luckily, the liquidy filling made me pause… so I only had to empty 2 cups.

Baked both tins together for the first time in my countertop oven, intending to switch them 3/4 of the way so both browned. Wondering why no browning occurring. Realized I forgot the grated cheese in the fridge in the bisquick excitement. So I pulled both trays out, topped the muffins with generous cheese, and stuck them back in just to melt it.

Sampled, and they’re delicious. But so close to disaster :joy:

Fillings today were sautéed onion and bacon, and the cheese was TJs sage something that I found to grassy to eat as is, but worked for this purpose.

11 Likes

Only bought/used it once in a Chef John pineapple upside-down cake recipe… ruined the whole cake (and I mean trash can ruined). Never again in anything.

This isn’t something for which I have an audience, but I am posting tge link because folks who are gathering with young children for the holidays might want to bake a kid-friendly “fruitcake”. It has canned pineapple, candied cherries, and colorful gumdrops.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQ3rxTJUKk

2 Likes

I got a donut baking pan. Tried this recipe and it was a total failure. Batter was liquid. I see the portion of milk to flour is too high. Does anyone make baked donuts and have a good recipe please.

1 Like

i would trust erin.

1 Like

Thanks and i have nyt cooking. I will try them. I want to bring some donuts to a brunch next week.

2 Likes

Good the first day once completely cooled. Better the second, if stored properly (see pts. 7 and 8).

2 Likes

Genoise tres cafe from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. I baked the genoise in a square pan, but I don’t know if I intend to sell it if I won’t use a round pan so the slices seem more substantial.
The topping is a white chocolate and espresso ganache montée rather than the dark chocolate mocha one Rose uses because I made a lot of white chocolate ganache for something else, decided I found it too sweet, and the only thing to do to fix that is add cream and whip it into something delicious. I think it works rather well with the not-too-sweet cake.

15 Likes

Pic of a slice.

This is definitely custardy. Think I’ll try a more cakey option next time.

Served warm (reheated in a low oven) with vanilla ice cream.

11 Likes

This was the “no egg” variant?

No
This was the recipe as written

Hope you get a chance to do Helen’s recipe. I use honeycrisps and It is really good.

Honeycrisp apples are my preferred eating apple. I like Granny Smith for strudel.

Agreed GS in strudel and pie, but prefer HC in cake.

wow! starting to think I have to unsubscribe from this thread before I gain ten pounds.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s very custardy. I love it the most cold out of the fridge or room temp on the day it’s baked.

For a more cakey option that pairs well with ice cream, I recommend an upside down cake. Or one like this one:

https://joepastry.com/2011/apfelkuchen-recipe/

2 Likes

The NYT apple cider donuts are excellent, as are the pumpkin spice.

Thank you.