What are you baking? December 2022

Yes, that is it. Book has weights

1 Like

A 6-inch Boston cream pie and a batch of Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes since they consistently sell well. I package them in cellophane bags.

10 Likes

In the whipped cream saga, very cold cream failed to whip in plastic blender cup in ice bath though I’ve had no issue whipping cream with an immersion blender in it before. Whipped instantly in this stainless steel mug.

Now you might think it’s just the metal, but cream has failed to whip in stainless steel bowls in ice baths, too.
The stainless steel mug has a 100% success rate and previous success is why I decided to transfer the cream that failed to whip to the mug, just to see if it would work once again. I think it has to be how thin the metal is and how fast it becomes ice cold when placed in an ice bath. The shape likely helps, too. There is a bigger one of those mugs, so I think I’ll be whipping cream in one of those two mugs going forward.

5 Likes

Carrot cheesecake roll is awesome. I am still going to tweak the sponge as I want it to be more colorful, but for a first attempt it came out great. I was a bit nervous about using too much carrot due to whether it might interfere with the rolling, but no problems at all, so I will up the amount. I also think I’ll be blending some carrot with water to replace the milk in this. If I had a juicer I’d obviously use carrot juice.
I tried making a sponge with carrot purée and even knowing I made it, with the spices my brain had trouble figuring out if I was eating carrot or pumpkin cake :joy:.

11 Likes

Hi folks - looking for some help.

I’d like to bake a small apple or pear (or both) cake for dessert tonight.

I’m not a fruit dessert person, so my experience with apple cake is nil.

But my friends hosting the dinner love them, and I’ve got both apples and asian pears that need using up.

Easy recipe would be a bonus, but tasty is the priority!

TIA!

—-

ETA: These look like pretty good candidates so far:

1 Like

Coffee chiffon cake with dulce de leche whipped cream from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. It’s supposed to be individual cakes, but I don’t have mini angel food pans, so I baked it all in my 6-inch tube pan.
I like this cake a lot, but it’s sort of an adult cake in that it’s not too sweet and it’s very light. I felt that maybe because I made a whole cake instead of mini ones that the cake needed more syrup, so I made another batch to saturate it more.
Even through dulce de leche is good for stabilizing whipped cream a little, I think with the 35% cream I need to use some gelatin to get it to hold up. Whipped cream is to me one of the best ways to tame dulce de leche.

11 Likes

THICK MOLASSES SPICE COOKIES from Smitten Kitchen Keepers

I made these earlier in the week to bring in to work. They were really easy to put together because they use melted butter and mostly pantry ingredients, though I discovered too late, to my disappointment, that I did not have crystallized ginger in my pantry after all. Anyway, they are designed to be very soft and Deb says to pull them out when they seem very underbaked, which I did, though I cooked them for the longer time specified (12 mins).

I ate them about 12-18 hours after I made them and was a tad underwhelmed with them (thought they were fine), but have been snacking on them everyday since and they’ve just been improving every day. This is definitely one of those recipes where the spices and salt really need to meld. The texture has stayed excellent, too. I am a fan and looking forward to making them again with the ginger.

13 Likes

I bake a small loaf of bread (3 cups of flour) once a week. Very little sugar, and some almond flour substituted for the wheat. Eggs and oil to reduce the carb load. No dairy. Zojirushi breadmaker is quiet and idiot-proof. Both are necessary in my house. Also, after the bread is finished, I leave it in the breadmaker overnight to cool off. I find this distributes the moisture in the loaf perfectly. This bread has a texture which has small air pockets, yet slices thinly with a MAC breadknife. After all these decades, I finally got my breadmaking s*** together.

Now that the weather is cooler, I also make muffins with 2 whole oranges vitamixed to a slurry - peel included - to be the liquid in place of water or milk. No dairy. No sugar. Chopped pecans are thrown in if I remember.

2 Likes

She’s a little wordy, but this is delicious!

This is the most popular apple cake on EYB. delicious and so simple to make

2 Likes

I’ve made this (easy) apple cake/quick bread before. Very nice!! I imagine you could put a lemon or cinnamon glaze on top to make it sweeter (if you wanted).

Here is mine, that I made a little while ago. Again, quick & easy and tasty!!

1 Like

I actually have some sour cream to use up too!

Hah! This was one of the first ones that came up when I searched. I’m tempted to just go for it given the ease and popularity, especially as I’m not a fruit baker.

ETA @Stef_bakes how do you think this would do very thinly sliced (on mandoline) apples instead of cubes? Or fine dice in mini FP?

Thank you!

I’m a fan of both Dorie Greenspan recipes, which have just enough batter to hold the fruit together. If you’re looking to make a small cake, the custardy apple squares will work as given, as would halving Marie Helene’s apple cake. I always add the suggested dark rum to the custardy apple squares.

3 Likes

Ive used slices of apples that were a bit thicker than ones sliced on a mandolin. Granny and a firm golden delicious hold up well. I think other varieties might turn mushy.

1 Like

I have yet to find a cake recipe which incorporates fresh apples in the batter to my liking. I’m finding something about the texture consistently off-putting. Too moist, too custardy.

OTOH, I find Dorie Greenspan’s Everything cake with the apples placed on top one of my favorite cakes (with 2 T. brandy added to the batter and drizzle of apple-ish or lemon-ish glaze on top).

1 Like

The dorie / Marie-Helene is my favorite apple cake I’ve ever made or eaten.

2 Likes

Ok, cake is in the oven!

I went with half a recipe of Dorie’s Marie Helene cake, using an apple and an asian pear (small dice for a marginally more refined texture than big chunks, or so I’m hoping), with cardamom added (my friend was remembering a Danish apple cake her late mother used to make, and her mom’s birthday is tomorrow, so I thought the flavor combination might be a happy memory).

Also added a little sour cream based on the recipe Scott linked to, for a bit more richness for a dinner party dessert rather than a tea cake. Maybe I’ll pick up vanilla ice cream on my way (this is not a creme fraiche crowd).

Thank you, everyone! Fingers crossed, and I’ll post a picture later.

2 Likes

Please tell me you didn’t skip the crumble.