What are you baking? December 2022

I did consider that as I’ve got half a brick of whole milk moz and also some fresh from Friday’s pizza. But I wanted it to be a bit less pizza-ish, plus I wanted the cheese to act more like a sauce than a cheese. This ricotta mixture is what I use as the sauce on the breakfast pizza.

2 Likes

Shellybean,

You and I should swap friend groups. :wink:

I love frosted layer cakes. Unfortunately, my husband and several of my friends dislike them. As it’s unwise to bake a layer cake for one person I virtually never make them.

I also really like dulce de leche. I like cajeta even more, but my husband and you if memory serves find it too goaty.

2 Likes

I sure would love a piece of that for dinner @CCE!!

1 Like

Why is that? It’s less cleanup after eating it. You would have just one plate and one fork to deal with.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Speaking of tortes, this one posted today by a channel I follow looks good. It’s a Julia Child recipe:

2 Likes

https://joepastry.com/2010/how_to_make_new_york_style_cheesecake/

I made this cheesecake again and it’s still to me the most perfectly delicious. However, I attempted to make mini versions and I wanted them taller than standard, so I tried using liners made from parchment. Unfortunately this type of cheesecake is too soft and creamy to look beautiful when you remove the parchment and pull it out of the baking cups (which are sloped, so it’s not just lining the sides the way it would with a straight-sided pan).
But I can still turn these either into filling for maybe carrot cupcakes, cups of carrot cake parfait, or a carrot roll cake. Or perhaps a red velvet version or strawberry cake.

2 Likes

I made three tiny pumpkin crème brûlée with a few pieces of squash that were lingering in the fridge. Delicious! I’m testing to see how long the sugar topping holds up. In my experience it’s much longer than most would have you believe (and my preference is to give crème brûlée 30 minutes or so after torching to chill in the fridge), but I want to have a clear time.

7 Likes

We had a “chocolate emergency” last night about 10:00pm. I had no dessert prepared in the house and “Sunshine’s” sweet tooth was in high gear.
I did have the ingredients to whip up those “chocolate in-betweens”, that I’ve made in the past.
This time I par-baked the bottom layer for 10-15 minutes, then added the chocolate layer, then the top layer and baked another 20-25 minutes. The end result was so much better.
I usually allow these treats to cool before serving, but it was late and I had a hungry girlfriend to feed. So I cut her a square (corner piece – her favorite) and served it hot out of the oven, she commented that a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be perfect on top.
So next time I make these I’ll have some vanilla ice cream in stock.

5 Likes

First bake from Gâteau. Almond Yogurt Cake. This was very quick to put together, no mixer required. Cake

has almond and ap flour and zest of a lemon. Lovely moist crumb. I think I’ll bake a few to give away for Christmas. Oh, and oil instead of butter which is a plus with the price of butter in ontario.

10 Likes

I also liked it! And the oil keeps it fresh longer as well, a plus for me.

What kind of oil?

1 Like

Great review - thanks for posting. I’ll look forward to more - I’m pretty sure Santa’s got Gâteau in the bag.

This seems to be the recipe.

ETA: and it looks great and as though even a non-baker such as myself could make it.

3 Likes

I used canola

1 Like

Yes, that is it. Book has weights

1 Like

A 6-inch Boston cream pie and a batch of Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes since they consistently sell well. I package them in cellophane bags.

10 Likes

In the whipped cream saga, very cold cream failed to whip in plastic blender cup in ice bath though I’ve had no issue whipping cream with an immersion blender in it before. Whipped instantly in this stainless steel mug.

Now you might think it’s just the metal, but cream has failed to whip in stainless steel bowls in ice baths, too.
The stainless steel mug has a 100% success rate and previous success is why I decided to transfer the cream that failed to whip to the mug, just to see if it would work once again. I think it has to be how thin the metal is and how fast it becomes ice cold when placed in an ice bath. The shape likely helps, too. There is a bigger one of those mugs, so I think I’ll be whipping cream in one of those two mugs going forward.

5 Likes

Carrot cheesecake roll is awesome. I am still going to tweak the sponge as I want it to be more colorful, but for a first attempt it came out great. I was a bit nervous about using too much carrot due to whether it might interfere with the rolling, but no problems at all, so I will up the amount. I also think I’ll be blending some carrot with water to replace the milk in this. If I had a juicer I’d obviously use carrot juice.
I tried making a sponge with carrot purée and even knowing I made it, with the spices my brain had trouble figuring out if I was eating carrot or pumpkin cake :joy:.

11 Likes

Hi folks - looking for some help.

I’d like to bake a small apple or pear (or both) cake for dessert tonight.

I’m not a fruit dessert person, so my experience with apple cake is nil.

But my friends hosting the dinner love them, and I’ve got both apples and asian pears that need using up.

Easy recipe would be a bonus, but tasty is the priority!

TIA!

—-

ETA: These look like pretty good candidates so far:

1 Like

Coffee chiffon cake with dulce de leche whipped cream from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. It’s supposed to be individual cakes, but I don’t have mini angel food pans, so I baked it all in my 6-inch tube pan.
I like this cake a lot, but it’s sort of an adult cake in that it’s not too sweet and it’s very light. I felt that maybe because I made a whole cake instead of mini ones that the cake needed more syrup, so I made another batch to saturate it more.
Even through dulce de leche is good for stabilizing whipped cream a little, I think with the 35% cream I need to use some gelatin to get it to hold up. Whipped cream is to me one of the best ways to tame dulce de leche.

11 Likes