What are you baking? August 2022

Great, thanks much!

1 Like

Swap mangoes for peaches and you’d have mango lassi :smiley:

2 Likes

Hmm… the recipe calls for 3 pounds of peaches so I weighed what I have on hand and it’s only 1.7 pounds.

But I also have about 2.3 pounds of mangoes that should come out about 1.5 pounds peeled and stoned.

Mix-n-match time tomorrow when my ladies all get back home!

Didnt mean to derail with mangoes, but nomenclature of soup vs lassi was funny to me.

For mango lassi, the proportion of fruit, buttermilk or yogurt, and sweetener will vary based on how sweet or tart the mango is and how tart the buttermilk is. (Less sweetener needed for canned pulp which is often used, because it’s usually pre-sweetened.)

Claudia Fleming has an apricot-muscat soup that I almost suggested to you when you were looking for apricot ideas, but I wasn’t sure if you’d be interested since lots of people don’t seem to love cold soups.

1 Like

I just got a pullman loaf pan. Any advice please

After having success with the milk bar birthday cake I’m doing the carrot graham cake today. I have a meeting tomorrow and plan to bring it for everyone to try.

4 Likes

King Arthur honey oat pain de mie is excellent, they will also have additional recommendations for a Pullman pan. Love them for sandwiches.

1 Like

Now you know :slight_smile:

1 Like

(I made a half batch with 1.5 lbs of peaches. Another thing to note is some of the peaches are ostensibly to chop and add to the finished soup (rather than blending them) so if you use those peaches to blend instead, you can happily generate a nice quantity of soup. I happened to have a couple apricots hanging around so that’s what the garnish is on mine.)

1 Like

The buttermilk cake, this time as the recipe was written – with raspberries and in the called for amount.

We replaced our raspberry plants this year, and it looks like they won’t set until next summer (fall bearing). Went to the farmer’s market yesterday, where vendors were offering the last of this year’s local harvest. Not the best berries - past peak season - but fresh raspberries all the same and the only ones we will enjoy this year.

I bought a quarter flat (2 pints). One pint went straight into the rumtopf (thanks again to @Phoenikia for that inspiration), another half pint into a raspberry liqueur, and the last half pint individually frozen for today’s cake. I had to freeze them, because there was no way they were going to hold up overnight, even in the fridge.

For what it’s worth, I inserted the berries into the cake open-side up, and despite my expectations after being frozen, they did not spread too badly.

I’ve now made this cake with strawberries, blueberries (double berries), and raspberries. I probably like today’s version the best - both tart & sweet - followed closely by blueberry, with strawberry in a distant third (not sure I’m wild about the texture of baked strawberries).

13 Likes

Another vote for KAF’s pain de mie. They have both a white flour version (includes potato flour) and a whole wheat version.

I echo Nannybakes sentiment that these make good sandwich bread (especially grilled cheese).

1 Like

Beauty! And I empathize with having to freeze berries because they’re breaking down before your eyes. It’s heartbreaking if you don’t catch it fast enough!

I’m with you on the texture of baked strawbs, btw.

1 Like

I caught it just in time - I had to toss only six berries out of the quarter flat.

It also makes wonderful French toast. @Stef_bakes

1 Like

These EXCELLENT vanilla cupcakes.

I did use salted butter, so were I using unsalted I’d use two grams of salt.
For the frosting I increased the sugar to 30 g and used a pinch of salt because I always find mascarpone to need it.

3 Likes

dorie’s lemon blueberry cake. This wasn’t my favorite of this genre - I vastly prefer this ottolenghi version - but this was a hit with everyone.

8 Likes

Just curious - what about it didn’t you care for?

It just didn’t have the same depth of flavor as Ottolenghi’s cake. If I hadn’t had his, I would have loved it - but my 10 year old refused to eat it! Other kids ate plenty of it.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a great recipe for blueberry hand pies? I’ve been craving them and last made them with this recipe in 2014! I loved it then, but would I love it now???