What are you baking? August 2022

Too pretty to eat!

2 Likes

But I did :joy: Thank you!

6 Likes

Just out of the oven, Jacques Pepin’s Plum Galette. Been wanting to try his 10 second pastry for a long time!

14 Likes

Stunning!

1 Like

Two loaves of cheesy garlic butter wool roll bread. I’m going to switch to 9-inch pans next time to try to keep the center hole open.

16 Likes

Lately I’ve made several runs of the King Arthur pane cristal (LOVE those holes!) and Claire Saffitz’s enriched dough. It makes by far the best hamburger buns I’ve ever put out.
Boy, you guys’ productions look spiffy!

5 Likes

Ten seconds?!

Because it’s made in a food processor.

5 Likes

Bookmarked - thanks!

Tomato tart for lunch today. A favorite during tomato season, this one has some fine cornmeal in the crust which works wonderfully with the tomatoes. A swipe of mustard , Comté cheese, par cooked and crumbled hot sausage served as the base for the mini tomatoes. An eight inch tart makes four delicious servings.

17 Likes

I’m not showing DH your lunches for sure. That’s a lovely tart. Did you salt your tomatoes before hand to get some of the liquid out?

1 Like

With the little ones, I just halve and turn upside on paper towels to drain a bit while I’m assembling the rest. I didn’t salt them because I thought the mustard, cheese and sausage would be enough. I sometimes dust the top with Parmesan as well. I do salt the large slices of tomatoes and drain well between paper towels and sometimes put a light weight cutting board on top.

3 Likes

I made the tea cake today! I found what I think is the right recipe online, and made it with apricots. I love it!!

apricot tea cake

10 Likes

So glad you enjoyed it: one of my favourites for sure!

1 Like

And how was the pastry?

I made it for a get-together Mom was having today, and the ladies enjoyed it al fresco. They were very happy with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For my own records: I made it in a 9-inch springform pan sprayed with baking spray. I originally started putting the batter into a 10-inch pan, but could see the pan was too big. No parchment. There was no sticking or issue with the pan.

1 Like

Not baking, but kind of baking-adjacent:

Peach buttermilk soup, made with my surfeit of rapidly-softening CSA peaches and my favorite local buttermilk.

I’ve made a couple of drinkable fruit and vegetable things this summer to help get through all the great produce in the house, and I’m really enjoying them.

peach buttermilk soup

6 Likes

I couldn’t beat the paywall this time, but looks interesting from your photo and description. Is this a serve-cold soup? I’m wondering if it’d be good for breakfast.

that’s exactly what it’s good for, and yes, cold. and here’s the recipe for you. I also changed the link up in the original post.

i’ll note that i did NOT blanch and peel the peaches; they were ripe enough that i was able to slip off most of the skin, but whatever was left i simply left in the soup. i planned to strain it after blending to get the skin out, but quickly decided i didn’t care.

1 Like