What are you baking? August 2022

This baking thread is all about sharing.

Here are three recipes I watched. I am a terrible recipe follower, but I was closest to the first in proportions and method (least fussy imo).

My changes:

• Desiccated coconut (I forgot I had fresh grated in the freezer, duh) rehydrated with milk
  • Split into 2 small round pans (we ate one, I gave the other to the restaurant to thank the chef)
  • Rested the batter overnight for the semolina to fully hydrate
  • Baked at 325 not 350 for about 25 mins
5 Likes

What recipe do you like? I tried bagels for the first tome during the pandemic and was so pleasantly surprised by the home outcome!

I have my own recipe that I adapted from a number of sources. Here is a link to it.

Thanks! Do you have pics of the bagels?

I didn’t take any today. Here is a photo from an earlier batch. I now bake them a bit darker.

9 Likes

Book doesn’t have baking powder, does have lemon juice in cake, and more zest. I don’t really notice a difference

1 Like

Do you think this would still be good without the blueberries? Weird question, I know but I like lemon cakes but not blueberries haha.

(Looking at the online UK version of the recipe and the NYT, seems like there’s self-rising flour vs AP+bp, and the lemon is a bit more, which is odd)

Yes - the UK version is almost identical to the book except for a 1:1 exchange for self-rising with AP. some NYT commenters suggested more lemon flavor, which is probably why the book/UK version has more lemon.

You could do it without berries! Make sure to use almond FLOUR not meal

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I might actually have both in stock for some bizarre reason. Going to save this in my citrus cakes list!

1 Like

I think that’s an error in the North American edition of the book, given the self-raising flour in the UK edition, and the baking powder in the NYT version, and that except for the lemon zest/juice difference between book and NYT, all the other ingredient quantities are identical. They just screwed up and forgot the leavening when converting from self-raising to AP flour for the NA edition.

I’m thinking of making this BUT can I skip buying a carton of cream?

Most definitely. Just beat your egg with same amount of milk. I changed the steps a bit in making the bread. First I simmer the milk and then melt the butter. It gives them a chance to cool down and then proceed with the recipe. It is important to mix the dough for 9 minutes. Really changes the texture and be patient with the first and second rise.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I like this recipe from Peter Reinhart:

Malt syrup in the water is the classic boiling method, but I like a combo of it and lye.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’re right! What’s weird is that the NYT version doesn’t have additional salt which you’d expect with switching out self-rising flour. I increased the sale anyway to 1/4 t. I’m not sure that you need the leavening - it tastes great without it.

That’s a great bagel recipe from Peter Reinhart. I like it with some rye flour mixed in.

1 Like

European self-raising flour doesn’t contain salt.

Interesting! I’ve always used this substitute for self rising flour

1 Like

I always preferred to just buy it from stores that sold European products because the ratios for DIY tend to be all over the place and also because of the differences between American and European flour. I didn’t like having to decide how much baking powder I’d go with :joy:. In NYC any Greek or Balkan store sells self-raising flour in 500 g bags, which was convenient for me. These days I’ll do 1 tsp per 100 grams since I can’t buy any, but I never add salt because only American self-rising flour contains salt, plus I just calculate the amount of salt based on the recipe anyway.

1 Like

In case you’ve run out of free recipe access on Epicurious and don’t want to pay, Smitten Kitchen posted Peter Reinhardt’s bagel recipe.

Unfortunately the Smitten Kitchen blogger wasn’t yet including weights when she posted this recipe. I have been successful asking her to add weights in the comments.

2 Likes

I now have three weeks off and am casting around for baking/kitchen projects. I’m not super interested in some of the more typical high-effort things people tend to take up (croissants, French macarons, most bread) but I am interested in exploiting the produce that’s in season right now.

I have long wanted to make an ice cream cake with all the components homemade. Might try that.

I also have a patch of rhubarb ready to use.

I bought The Book on Pie and haven’t really hit it too hard, and I think I’m going to spend some quality time with that book. There are lots of interesting fruit pies in there (like chiffon pies and stuff) that are completely new to me. Erin also published this apricot meringue pie recipe I might try. I have a torch for meringue and have never used it.

Also considering making strudel for the first time.

3 Likes