What are you baking? August 2022

I’ll try to think of something. We rarely go out any more. Funny how Covid changed our eating out habits.

1 Like

Just remembered one of my favorites, this is breakfast only. The Cottage Cafe, 6902 E Appleway Blvd. They open at 7 AM and close at 1 PM. They whip their own cream and use fresh ingredients, it’s very good. But get there early or you’ll have to wait in line

Giant carrot-zucchini muffins.

I have made this recipe from Gimme Some Oven many times, and I love it both for the end product and for it’s nutritional value. Four cups of veggies, whole wheat flour, fruit and nuts in every batch (I double the recipe and use my giant muffin tin).

11 Likes

“Moelleux of summer fruits” adapted fromDavid Lebovitz. The batter is a mix of almond flour and all purpose , the almond flour being the greater proportion. The results are crisp edges and a soft center. This one is made with Italian prune plums but I’ve made it with apricots, figs, etc. It is also the first time the fruit ended up covered by the rising batter, but it makes no difference in the taste which is delicious. A half batter in a six inch mold baked in about 25/30 minutes. Some apricot/nectarine ice cream on the side was a nice plus.

12 Likes

Thank you! We’ll check it out. It’s close to the cemetery.
Years ago we used to frequent the Cajun place by the river, darn if I can remember the name. It was off of Trent, I think and close to the restaurant food supply store. Blue Bayou? Miss that eatery. Then we had a good run at Anthony’s until our last visit; surly and forgetful wait staff and poorly prepared seafood dishes. We tried the spaghetti place once and only once. We have often visited Frank’s for lunch with satisfactory results. There was a great place around the corner from there we used to go to that had the best fried oysters. Then it turned into a Thai place. We always try to hit TJ’s and stock up since they are the closest at 5 hours away. I still have 2 Buck Chuck I bought 6 or so years ago. If anything nice rings a bell…

Ooops. Sorry, wrong end of town from the cemetery. It is in the valley! We’ll check it out, regardless.

Also posted on the Baking With Dorie thread. The Everything Cake with peaches and blueberries.

13 Likes

So pretty, MR!

Thank you! Eye-appeal helps.

1 Like

I happened to have exactly the amount of mascarpone called for in these, so I gave them a try using salted butter and 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
I don’t consider these muffins. I don’t consider most of people’s preferred blueberry muffins to actually be muffins (for example the famous Jordan Marsh muffins). They’re all cake. Delicious, but anything where the sugar is more than roughly 50% the amount of flour is not a muffin in my book. And when you have cake flour in the recipe to boot, it’s cake. :laughing:
Still there’s no denying that these were very delicious blueberry cakes.

6 Likes

:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

Is Ina Garten’s recipe very different?

i feel the same, and said something very similar to mom today about a scone i brought her from farmers’ market. this, i said, is cake.

1 Like

that is really gorgeous. might make this tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi Christina, there seem to be several Ina recipes out there, none of which are similar to Marian Burros plum torte/cake at the NYT, at least what I have googled. What is similar is the Everday Cake by Dorie that MR mentioned up thread. The Dorie cake increases the main ingredients by about a half (except the sugar) and adds some milk which THE plum cake doesn’t have. I haven’t made any of Ina’s recipes, maybe others can chime in on the comparison.

1 Like

Plum cake/torte hybrid…a combination of Marian Burros torte and Dorie’s Everything Cake. This was a 1/2 cup flour, everything reduced accordingly. Made in the food processor, I included 1 T almond flour in the all purpose flour and used a light tasting EVOO instead of Dorie’s melted butter. Would make again.

15 Likes

Curious to hear if you’ve had a taste of the peach yogurt…?

Last night after dinner, I needed to make up a cake for tomorrow’s dessert. My plan was to make up this (Martha Stewart) chocolate dump cake, let it cool overnight in the fridge and glaze it in the morning. Apparently, my girlfriend’s sweet tooth has built in radar because when I got up this morning a piece was missing. (a little midnight snacking took place) So, I glazed what was left.

The glaze is just a simple powdered sugar, meringue powder, cocoa powder and warm water.

13 Likes

I have - we like it as much as I recalled! Details posted here.

I can’t resist buying all of the peaches that I can find, and not even I can keep up eating them all! So I made a half batch of these peach crumb bars https://www.browneyedbaker.com/peach-crumb-bars/ which I seem to make at least once a summer?

Highly recommended…

11 Likes