What Are You Baking? April 2024

Those pitas always look so fluffy and inviting when you post them!

I was looking at the package of 4 fluffy pitas for $5 at the store today and thinking I should try them at home one of these days (I’ve only tried the pocket kind).

2 Likes

Update, 1.5 hrs post-bake:

These are flippin’ delicious.

11 Likes

The pita recipe is easy to make. Once you get down to the cooking part, it goes very fast. The link I posted doesn’t give weights, but I’ve found 120 g. per cup to be right for this one.

It’s important to bag them up while still warm (but not hot), to keep them from drying out. Once fully cooled after that, they hold up well in the freezer. I usually bag them up two per. Makes for an easy grab from the freezer, followed by a few seconds reheat in the microwave.

4 Likes

Those look so good. I’m sort of on a financier kick. I’ve made 3 different kinds up to now, testing. I want to make a tray up for when my guild celebrates its 50th anniversary.

2 Likes

What have been your favorite so far?

1 Like

I used almond flour and the next day they softened and i felt like i was having marzipan. You have to love almonds. I still want to test some from Gâteau.

2 Likes

Morning-after shots of the pistachio browned-butter ones I made last night. These are really good, but like I mentioned earlier, too small. They also stuck a bit, even with baking spray, although I admit I was a little less diligent with the spray than normal.

I like the idea of these for my tea because they don’t require any additional decoration.

I’ll probably try these again in a different pan.

11 Likes

Iirc either Dorie or Alice Medrich had a recipe for madelines that they suggested could also be baked in a cake pan as a base layer for tiramisu.

Maybe you could bake the financier mixture in a large pan and then cut into bite-size squares (or cute shapes with small cookie cutters if you prefer). Would make it easier for you and also give you clean / pretty pieces.

I’ll see if I can find the recipe I’m thinking of.

3 Likes

Cocoa/cinnamon meringues, these are really quite good, I reduce the sugar from 180g to 140g.
The 100g egg whites, sugar, molasses…(I add a little cream of tartar and cornstarch) , are placed in the KA bowl and whisked over simmering water. Today I brought it to 100*, but I’ve brought it considerably higher. This is probably counter to a lot of meringue recipes, but it’s always been fail proof for me and always very well received, as they are not sweet. I sometimes add powdered espresso .
The scoop/disher was a #16 and it made 8+ 1/2 cookies. I like to spread the meringue up the sides of the KA bowl and then sift the cocoa/cinnamon mixture all over the meringue, I do not mix it in and use about half of the mixture.
I’ll be happy to have one of these for dessert tonight! And if you are a bit of a chocoholic, a bitter sweet chocolate sauce on the plate would not be gilding the lily!
Eta…I use half the cinnamon and it’s plenty.
@mig

13 Likes

SO dramatic-looking!

3 Likes

Yes, a bit of a “ show stopper” :rofl:. When I make them for family gatherings, I double the recipe and pile them in a tall glass cylinder, looks really attractive.

3 Likes

Just tried this recipe, forgot to sprinkle sugar on top before baking.

Why did they crack on top? Just tried a bite, very flaky, I think I will like them better tomorrow.

I thought about adding egg/milk wash re ATK recipe but didn’t. Used currants soaked in a little brandy since I didn’t have dried cranberries.

I like it that she gives scone temperature goal. Mine took about 14 minutes.

Next time, I’ll split dough in half and use 2 6” pans to make smaller ones.

7 Likes

I don’t know what would lead to cracking, but I sure wouldn’t fret over it - they look terrific!

She mentions that the scones have the “sconiest” texture if left out uncovered overnight, and I agree - while good the first day, if kept in a paperbag overnight they are fantastic the 2nd day. By the third day I’ve usually got any leftovers in a tin, and while still tasty, to my preference, they are not quite as tempting that third day.

2 Likes

Yours look prettier, more golden!

The peeps I feed care more about taste than appearance so I shouldn’t worry.

1 Like

From the Baking Book of the quarter… GLAZED COOKIE BUTTER BAR from Snackable Bakes! I was inspired by @sallyt for the glaze, and used vanilla and water instead of rum since it’s for people at work.

A test slice was excellent! It’s for tomorrow’s team meeting ( part one, in the morning. For part two we are all going outside to see the eclipse!!! )

12 Likes

I just checked the recipe, no sugar is sprinkled on top … I must have been thinking about a different recipe.

I did brush with cream before sprinkling with raw sugar - that probably led to a bit more color.

I think your peeps will be pleased with your offerings!

No photos, as it’s already put away for tonight, but I made a rhubarb-blueberry crisp with some beautiful rhubarb I found at the grocery store. I sort of improvised the fruit filling (note below) and used the topping from a peach crisp recipe I’d saved from Chowhound. Sharing here because we really really enjoyed it, and I didn’t find what I wanted online already. It’s gluten-free when made with almond flour.

Rhubarb-Blueberry Crisp (serves 6ish)

For the topping
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or almond flour (I use almond flour)
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp fine salt
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces or grated

For the filling
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp cornstarch
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp salt
¼ cup sugar
5 stalks rhubarb, sliced (about 3½ cups)
18oz container blueberries (3-4 cups)

Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl. With your fingertips, blend the butter pieces into the dry ingredients until large clumps form and the flour and butter are completely incorporated, about 3 minutes. Crumble the clumps into small pieces the size of kidney beans, then refrigerate the streusel while you make the filling for the pie.

Place the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the fruit and stir until evenly coated.
Transfer the mixture to an 8-by-8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and arrange it in an even layer. Sprinkle the reserved topping evenly over the peaches.
Bake until the topping is browned and crisp, about 20 to 25 minutes. Place the dish on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.

7 Likes

Scone tests continue: a half-batch of King Arthur’s apricot cream cheese scones, with added chopped crystallized ginger and a post-bake brush with homemade ginger syrup.

I didn’t know cream cheese in scones was a thing!

I decided to make these after spying an apricot ginger cranberry scone in a bakery case the other day, and the flavor combo called to me. I didn’t include the cranberries this time, but I think I would prefer this scone with the tiny bursts of tart you get from them. The recipe also had an option to swap the vanilla for KA’s Fiori di Sicilia, which I happen to have on hand, so I used that. It’s a little overpowering, even a tiny bit, so I think I’ll stick to vanilla next time.

Next time:

• add cranberries
  • add powdered ginger
  • use the original vanilla, not Fiori
10 Likes

stunningly beautiful! congratulations!