What are the most favorite epic recipes in your rotation?

Looks so good, thank you! It’s on the list for next week!

Wow @catholiver, you’ve started or commented on over 6,000 threads on chowhound, I am impressed. Haha, you’re like a celebrity to me! You are one of the ones I’m talking about!

Yeah, and got reprimanded for it!!! I got way too involved, eventually getting suspended a couple of times and then banned - twice :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I thought I was a bad-ass going to jail 4 times while playing Monopoly!
:smiley:

4 Likes

Well, I really like to have a project, find a recipe I like, respect the ratios so I understand the intent and work on trying to make it to my taste by deconstructing what I think works and doesn’t and trying to build it back together.

In the case of the carbonnade:

• The browning of the beef is a classic move and the foundation of the dish
  • Adding the onions to sweat and making a roux with the flour is pretty straightforward. I’ll be having butter on the side however if there is not enough liquid for the roux. Other recipes coat the beef cubes with flour before browning. I guess it could work.
  • I think the spiced bread is essential to thicken the sauce and impart taste (it has a lot of honey and an interesting spice mix)
  • I believe it is important to use “smooth” mustard to make sur it mixes well. One might be tempted to use old school mustard but one must make sure it disolves.
  • The spice mix looks appropriate

I’ve been busy reading up more on the chowhound fiasco tonight. I knew there were problems, I just didn’t know the specifics. What you all had to deal with is absurd.

I asked my husband to check their user agreement because I was so bothered, he’s an attorney. He said the user agreement strongly favors them, so would be tough to challenge. Knowing that annoys me even more.

It would have to be bone broth at the moment . I cook ten pounds of beef , pork , chicken backs , and a little bit of lamb bones , eight carrots , one bulb of garlic , one onion , five celery stalks with the bottom part , and one rutabaga , with a little dried porcini . Simmer for sixty hours . Oh My !!

Nice! I was literally just reading Marco Canora’s Brodo cookbook on broth, just received it in the mail. Do you have it by any chance?

No I don’t have his book . I came up with my own recipe after three times .

1 Like

The John Besh Recipe for Short Ribs is my go-to recipe for a crowd. I modified it over the years with less sugar and a few other tweeks.

The other outstanding recipes that I use are:

Hazan’s Bolognese
Then use it in Hazan’s Lasagne with Bolognese and Bechamel
Then use it in Hazan’s Canelloni
Garten’s Chicken Pot Pie
Rao’s sauce and meatballs
Bugialli’s pasta with pepper sauce
Zuni Chicken

1 Like

Awesome, thank you so much! Have you tried Ina’s Chicken with Croutons (I believe that’s what it’s called?). It is so amazing to me.

Onions get crispy and flavored under the roasting chicken, then you quickly make croutons on the stove and dump the onions and drippings and chicken over the top and squeeze the roasted lemons over. It’s one of my favorites, and a definite crowd pleaser.

Bugialli’s Italy cookbook in my Amazon cart, I’m about to purchase just for that one recipe. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Any other recipes in there that make it a great buy?

Your recipe is quite similar to two of his recipes, except he adds bay leaves, 1 T peppercorns, 1 bunch parsley and a can of tomatoes rather than porcini, rutabaga, and garlic.

Yours sounds excellent, I especially like the porcini addition, it’s a great idea, and one I never would have thought of.

Zuni chicken recipe: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015770-zuni-cafe-chicken

I once asked on CH if anyone had fixed this chicken and found another way better. No one had.

2 Likes

Zahav braised lamb shoulder (http://andrewzimmern.com/2015/10/20/zahav-lamb-shoulder/)–takes 3 days, but it is EPIC.

Stuffed cabbage rolls.

Lots of Korean food. (like my mom’s Pyongyang-style chicken soup recipe, braised eggplant, braised short rib stew)

Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce.

Ottolenghi’s chicken w arak & clementines.

Chicken marbella.

John Legend’s macaroni & cheese

Kalyn Kitchen’s spaghetti squash and chard

Emeril Lagasse’s red beans and rice

Ottolenghi’s caramelized garlic tart

Pim’s pad thai

Barbara Lynch’s spicy tomato soup

David Lebovitz’s french onion soup

Roasted cauliflower

2 Likes

I read a lot of recipes, for inspiration, but when it comes to actual cooking, I almost always free-style. The ones that I actually FOLLOW include:

Nobu’s Miso-Ginger Cod - Dead-simple marinade, which works on any firm fish

Chicken Marbella - but I halve the amount of sugar in the Silver Palate recipe and brown the skin in a skillet first

Sara Moulton’s simple, unstuffed roast chicken: 4.5# chicken, 450F, 45 minutes

Food & Wine curried pan-roast chicken thighs http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/curried-chicken-and-vegetable-pan-roast but use less than half the oil called for, or it will be very greasy. You can use whatever yogurt, onion, curry powder, and oil you like, and thighs/legs with/without bone

Jacques Pepin’s Braised Pears in Caramel Sauce http://blogs.kqed.org/essentialpepin/2011/09/18/braised-pears-in-a-caramel-sauce/
is equally good with a firm variety of apple

This stew from A Flash in the Pan, which I use for monkfish or hake. On my stove, I have to cook it longer to reduce the liquids:
Cod braised with potatoes and golden onions (4 servings)
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3/4 pound small red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup bottled clam juice
1 pounds cod fillets, cut into 1-inch strips or chunks
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In a large, deep skillet with a lid, heat the butter. Cook the onion and potatoes over medium heat, stirring often, until the potatoes are nearly cooked through and the onion is tinged with gold, about 6 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the chopped thyme, the cream, wine, and clam juice. (The recipe can be prepared up to 30 minutes ahead to this point and kept at cool room temperature.) Bring to a simmer, and add the fish. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and simmer, stirring gently once or twice, until the fish is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Stir in the remaining I tablespoon of chopped thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve in shallow soup bowls, garnished with thyme sprigs.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to share all of this! I’d give you a big hug if I could!!!

I can’t wait to try it all out, especially the Zahav lamb. And my interest is definitely piqued now on Korean food.

Yay, thank you so much! It all looks really good, and I absolutely will try the recipe you wrote for me.

Zuni chicken is on my radar, it is indeed good. Thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve used the salting method, but haven’t ever tried it with the bread.

Haha, I’m trying to think of what to ask you because I want to know everything you have to tell me!

Any other great ones you can think of would be much appreciated.

I’ve learned a lot from the old chowhound posts, and I’m sure you are partly responsible for that. :blush:

1 Like

The Zuni chicken is outstanding. Needs a little TLC the first time you make it since regulating the heat and the smoke from the oven can be challenging and interesting.