What are the best Penzeys Spices

The Aleppo pepper flakes from Penzys I believe are already bloomed in oil so I don’t think you need to bloom again in the pan when you use it?

I wonder if non-oily Aleppo flakes are better since you can bloom it in oil on the pan yourself and taste is fresher etc.

Maybe you are on to something. A couple months ago I bought a large bag of Aleppo chile flakes at a Lebanese deli and bakery not too far from us. I checked the ingredients list, which claims be to chile flakes only. I’m a little skeptical because before that I had only seen Aleppo flakes processed with vegetable oil.

Brushing aside my doubt, this batch is by far the most fragrant and flavorful Aleppo flakes we’ve had yet. I have had them from Penzey’s and Spice House before and these are much better and more economical. (At the time I paid $5.95 for 16 oz. at the Lebanese bakery/deli—probably would cost more today. )

*For folks in my area, I bought that Aleppo pepper at Korbani’s Bakery in Methuen, MA. For folks in New Jersey, the product came from Baroody Imports in Clifton.

5 Likes

I’ve bought Aleppo flakes at Kalustyan’s, which also sells online now. Generally cheaper than Penzey’s, but more expensive than some other spice shops in Manhattan. https://foodsofnations.com/

1 Like

Arlington MA has reopened.

3 Likes