Weird risotto

Ate tonight for a first time out in this pandemic at a restaurant in Sturbridge, MA. My husband has a track car and we were here for a 2-day driving event Palmer Motorsports. So we’re here and got seated outdoors. Specials menu had a “Hazelnut crusted salmon with a white chocolate and dried cherry risotto”. Will remain a mystery to me. But we’ve always had good meals at this place so I reserve judgement.

3 Likes

Indeed, quite unusual. I know dark chocolate can be used as spice, but white chocolate is quite sweet, I guess it is counter balanced by the acidity and the sweetness of dried cherry. I wonder what they add to make it works with a salmon.

1 Like

Found a few recipes salmon with white chocolate sauce.

https://www.oursuttonplace.com/savory-white-chocolate-rosemary-sauce-for-fish-choctoberfest/

http://www.cacaoweb.net/salmon.html

1 Like

It’d remain a mystery to me as well. Sounds utterly vile.

2 Likes

Asked our server if she had tasted it and she had not!

1 Like

Having spent considerable time in Sturbridge, I distinctly remember several restaurants that consistently served ill-conceived “haute cuisine”. Emperor’s clothes.

2 Likes

What did you guys have instead?
Hopefully no Willy Wonka involved.

1 Like

I had a wonderful chicken piccata and husband had a delicious roast duck . I just couldn’t get my head around white chocolate and risotto.

3 Likes

I find white chocolate to be overly sweet and mono-dimensional in flavour even when it’s in desserts. To my mind, it has absolutely no place being anywhere near a savoury dish.

3 Likes

It puzzled me greatly…the only time I have enjoyed white chocolate is in a cookie with macadamia nuts.

4 Likes

That doesn’t make it right :joy:

2 Likes

Everywhere that “white” “chocolate” (it’s neither white nor chocolate) has any chance of being appropriate, whipped cream is superior. If you think you want “white” “chocolate”, borrow someone’s sock; tie the sock around your head at eye level, and eat real chocolate. Or whipped cream. Either will be better, I promise.

If you find, after that, that you still want “white” “chocolate”, borrow the person’s other sock and fill it with real chocolate; smear the whipped cream over your eyes, and eat the sock. It won’t be better, but it will serve you right. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m not feeling savory white chocolate dishes, and I know we are not talking about confections, but that’s what I’m working on, and I think a swirl of white chocolate looks nice on chocolate bark and dipped pretzels. I haven’t made them for a few years, so I don’t have my own pictures but I found these.

It’s hard to get “good” white chocolate, but one year I made something like this;
Some of this is white chocolate with orange zest, pistachios, and dried cranberry,

Yes, it’s better with real chocolate, but maybe not as pretty. :blush:

3 Likes

White chocolate as a decoration on real chocolate, because it looks pretty and sticks correctly (unlike whipped cream :slight_smile:) is legitimate IMO. :+1:

1 Like