Weird chicken lately?

The flavor and texture in the thighs doesn’t suffer as in the breast. I don’t even eat chicken breast anymore.

1 Like

The pictures of chicken breasts stuck in my mind enough for me to take notice of the breasts on sale this week locally. I rarely buy that cut anyway, but I did notice that these HUGE breasts were indeed white-striped, sort of in the 2-3 range in your photos.

They’ve got whole birds on sale also this week, and they’re enormous–like 6.5lb (or 3Kg). Practically turkeys. It’s challenging to find a chicken half that weight these days in the USA, and I shop at a pretty good market.

1 Like

It is on the news here last week on another sickness of fast growing birds called Spaghetti Meat, muscles tear like spaghetti with a slight touch.

Other problems that we have discussed here:

I guess Oregon Disease (green muscle) and Spaghetti Meat, they will use them only in transformed food.

3 Likes

Yuk!

Ewww…@naf - your photos are giving me nightmares. :dizzy_face:

My mom regularly bought 6-7 lb whole chickens growing up because that’s what fed our family, and it wasn’t until a few years ago that I realized I don’t need anything that big (just ingrained in my brain). I can 3-4 lb chickens (but not always) and this is perfect. I haven’t seen some of the issues in this thread yet. Could be pure luck, as I’m not buying special, pasture raised chicken that often. I do buy parts on occasion, and now I will have to inspect each pack carefully.

Tonight was the last straw. I would say in the last six months, out of EVERY pack of thin sliced breasts I have bought at Shop Rite, I’ve had to toss one for being affected with woody breast. Today, as I prepped schnitzel, I noticed this pack contained seven slices: two were definitely woody breast, one looked like it might be, two were shredded to oblivion (with one containing a blood vessel hanging off it), and two were fine. I went right back and exchanged for pork chops. We even spoke to the meat manager who claimed, “We don’t slice our cutlets in-house. They are shipped that way”. Bull-effin-shit. Pardon my language, but I was fuming. Disgusting! Pic doesn’t do it justice.

1 Like

So these are definitely off the list FOREVER.

1 Like

I don’t know what to do at this point. Best Market just closed in our area, and Shop Rite remains the most convenient place. But this is getting on my nerves.

I’m so skeeved out about chicken lately that I don’t even want to eat it, except for wings. Every time H suggests cooking some I nix it. I used to enjoy it a lot, and it was such a nice, dependable and versatile protein. It’s a shame what the industry has done to it, and how they hide the affected pieces in packaging so you can’t carefully select pre-packaged product. Same applies to the bags of IQF chicken parts. Related but slightly OT, quality control on the major brands of ground turkey seems to be slipping, as I’m getting some bone fragments in every package lately. May have to hook up the meat grinding attachment to the kitchen aid and grind my own. Tempted to do it with beef also. Ok, rant over.

3 Likes

See Say Goodbye to Rubbery Chicken Breast fro a detailed analysis.
Nano-summary: It’s genetic.

1 Like

It happened again - “rubber” chicken! :scream_cat: Picked up lunch to go from a little Vietnamese place that was just opening around the start of Covid and lockdown. I hadn’t been there before yesterday. Anyway, all was going well, and after the delicious fresh rolls, we started on the chicken satay. It had the horrid rubber texture that white striping disease gives it. The entire order. It wasn’t edible, to us. Thankfully, we had an order of wings too, which were delicious.

I was tempted to call the restaurant, but won’t do so during Covid, since they have enough to deal with, just struggling to stay open. When/if things normalize, and if I’m dining in, I will definitely say something if I get bad chicken… At least when cooking, if I happen to get an affected breast, I can set it aside for stock.

1 Like

I prefer dark meat, bone in skin on but yesterday wanted a lb. of BSCB for a saucy curry I make with vegetables. I ended up buying a lb. of chicken tenders for $5.45 instead of a lb. of BSCB for $14.95. The prices took my breath away!! I know it was specially raised chicken and all of that, but it was going into a spicy curry sauce…

Oh my, that is expensive!! You definItely made the right call with your purchase of the tenders. How did your curry turn out? Sounds good, it’s dinner time here, but no inspiration…

Huh? English please.

1 Like

Not retrospect, but it stands for boneless, skinless chicken breasts @jcostiones.

2 Likes

Thanks. :chicken: :rooster:

1 Like

Eat them at your own risk! Check for white stripes first, and stay far, far away if necessary Joe.

I am a fan of many Stonewall Kitchen products. They have a jar of coconut curry simmering sauce I can buy in my local grocery store. I just cut up a pound of BSCB, a zucchini, a red bell pepper and an onion all in same size pieces and simmer in a small enameled cast iron Dutch oven until all are tender. I make Jasmine rice. The two of us get 2 dinners from it, has a nice fragrant heat…I just need simple good food right now because of health problems that keep my energy too low for much work in the kitchen.

2 Likes

That sounds like a delicious, quick and easy dinner. I’m going to give it a try for those need something easy nights!

1 Like

Great idea. If you happen to run across the Maya Kaimal simmer sauces, I’ll bet you would enjoy those as well. Some varieties are jarred and some are refrigerated.