Weekly Menu Planning - September 2022

It’s daunting. At this point I think we will wait until Lulu goes off to college. Do you remember how long it took?

And to give this a food aspect, everyone knows how much I hate my Viking oven, right? Well, the door fell off it. So I’ll be interested in any quick, delicious stovetop, nonpork meals any of you might recommend.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your stove! We just got our replacement dishwasher installed, and its like having your first one all over again - we’re quite giddy.

It’s quite likely you’ve tired of both of these, but how about NYT’s shrimp and beans, or their pasta with tomatoes and kale?

3 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t really know re: the shingles timeline; it was several years ago, and I was getting periodic updates on the headache from my stepmother but wasn’t there to see it happen.

How ridiculous about the oven door. The nail in the coffin for the Viking Viking, I hope (to resurrect the oath that now seems even more apt). Sounds as if it would be a good time to dust off your wok for stir-fries served with rice, and turn to Grace Young and Fuchsia Dunlop.

5 Likes

If it’s as cold where you are as where I am, then I strongly recommend stovetop stews using either chicken or beef and whatever veg you like.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about the oven door but maybe it’s a good sign? +1 for Caitlin’s recommendations - sitrfries and pasta sauces can easily be made on the stovetop and Cristina’s recommendation of soups and stews is a good one. Do you have a slow cooker? Maybe it would help with meal prep and you will only have the one pot to clean up.

4 Likes

Stovetop idea - this One Pot Sausage Tortellini soup / casserole relies on Italian Sausage for much of the flavor, so you’d want to add extra seasoning with your substitution - ground chicken/ground turkey.

Skillet lasagna - http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=20856
Similarly - Lasagna soup - I make this with ground turkey or ground beef https://www.iheartnaptime.net/easy-lasagna-soup/

Chicken wings (or thighs) in rice pilaf

2 Likes

There is also turkey Italian sausage.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, these are all great suggestions. I got home about 20 minutes ago. I had such a wonderful trip, and it’s nice to think about homey stews and soups, and pastas now that I’m back. First we’ll need to make it through Ian.

5 Likes

Ugh, hope Ian doesn’t hit you too badly. One of my coworkers in the Triangle was getting poured on earlier today, but another in Charlotte keep having power flickers…

For another dish: This is really good and would work well with chicken thighs or maybe tofu. https://www.lodgemfg.com/recipe/drunken-rice-noodles-with-pork

3 Likes

Oh gosh. The oven door falling off. The hurricane coming! I hope your California trip was fantastic!

I hope you all stay safe and are able to cook something, even anything! I love stove top Spanish tortilla, eggs with potatoes, but it may not work for your family.

This is a good recipe. The flipping takes rapid courage, even more than skill, and tolerance for less than perfection! My recommendation is to cook the potatoes and onion first, cool, let soak with the beaten eggs for 15 minutes or so.

Then again, an omelette might be easier!

2 Likes

Yikes! Well, almost everything I cook is stovetop, so it really depends what you’re in the mood for.

For quick, shrimp or fish is speedy. How about gambas al ajillo (or scampi) with any crusty bread from the store (speed it up by buying peeled garlic). Microwave some broccoli to go alongside (if you must, lol) or add a salad.

I like @Madrid’s egg idea too - lots of choices there. I haven’t had “Punjabi” eggs in a while, which is what the friend who taught it to me calls a pan of (basic) onion-ginger-garlic-tomatoes-chilli masala cooked down (5-10 mins, to meld) with eggs dropped in to finish (make wells, drop in eggs, cover to cook the whites but leave yolks runny). Indian shakshuka, of sorts. Crusty bread (or toast) to get all the masala and the yolks.

4 Likes

Those Punjabi eggs sound great.

Actuals for the last week of September, cooking for 2 in MN. Where we’re having a spectacularly nice weekend of mid-70’s temperatures, fluffy white clouds in clear blue skies and some colorful maple trees turning early and putting on a “show”. Last weekend I drove to Iowa to celebrate my brother’s retirement. Wonderful time but, like most party-hosts, they’d over-bought for the event. I came home with some of the spare food from the party ( Bought 5 pounds of smoked pulled pork from them and they tossed in a tray of precut veggies) plus fresh tomatoes from my brother-in-law’s garden. We had BBQ sandwiches for lunches all week, and I have quart-bags of pork frozen to use as base for future meals.

Mon: Pulled pork on buns, fresh veggies & dip, red grapes
Tues: One pot Italian sausage w tomatoes and tortellini no cream so used skim milk. https://www.juliapacheco.com/sausage-one-pot-tortellini/ with French bread
Wed: One pot Italian sausage w tomatoes and tortellini with French bread, red grapes
Thurs: Salmon, Mac & Cheese previously made/frozen, peas, red grapes
Fri: Chicken livers w/ mushrooms in white wine sauce over rice, (a family favorite recipe from Dinner A Day cookbook), spinach salad, apples
Sat: Repeat/reheat Chicken livers w/ mushrooms over rice,
Sun: One-Skillet Mexican Chicken and Rice from p. 13 of RealFood Fall 2022 magazine (text of recipe is available in the “Contributors” section below the image. )
https://issuu.com/lundsandbyerlys/docs/lunds_byerlys_real_food_fall_2022 side of avocado slices, garden tomatoes, tortilla chips

9 Likes