Weekly Menu Planning - March 2023

We have a way to go but I’m excited for you! Our favorite farm stand is reopening and the snow is gone so let the thaw begin!

3 Likes

Re. the green bean stash - my mom used to warm them up in a sauté pan with butter, and then top with grated Parmesan - it coated the beans and turned a little crisp. Yum.

5 Likes

Cooking for one in mid-coast Maine where the snowdrops are blooming and the morning birdsong is increasing.

I am more of a prepper than a planner. A good week sees me prepping various ingredients to combine different ways and making a pot of soup for lunches. I did none of that last weekend and had a crazy busy week so ate poorly and was cranky as all get out.

Today I made wild rice for creamy sausage, wild rice and greens soup (which I still need to finish making) so it’s that or sourdough sesame bagels with cream cheese and sliced radishes for lunches.

Also two easy pasta sauces: Rao’s plus roasted mushrooms and sautéed pancetta and Rao’s plus chopped fennel sautéed in leftover pancetta fat and diced smoked sausage. Packed in single-serving flat packs and frozen. I have several shapes of dried pasta and some fresh mushroom ravioli. Beans and greens to go with a thawed sliced smoked duck breast (beans prepped, baby super greens to be added at last minute).

Glass of wine needed before finishing the soup…

11 Likes

This is a great approach for getting variety when cooking for 1 or 2. I admire your once-a-week cooking plan.

3 Likes

The soup sounds great. Is there a source or link, or is it your own creation?

Settling into a groove planning and cooking for 3-5 adults, including one recuperating and currently picky (usually infinitely flexible) senior.

Having a tentative plan helped a lot last week as we settled mom in after her return from the hospital. She’s still eating very little compared to her usual appetite and being picky, but she’s doing a lot better than the first few days, so we’re grateful for the improvement.

Lunch is the easiest meal for her to eat, so we’re sticking to the before-days normal of a balanced Indian vegetarian meal to maximize nutrition. Dinners are still difficult, because even though she’s choosing the meals, she’s physically and emotionally exhausted by the evening and can only manage a few bites. It’s ok, we know that will get better with time. But having something interesting she’ll enjoy makes it a bit easier and engaging in the meantime.

Mon - Pasta redo (see dinner fail yesterday): salvaged ravioli in either a simple broth or béchamel, with a piece of garlic toast for mom. For the rest, Kheema-stuffed parathas from the freezer. Avocado and tomato salad for everyone.

Tues - Thai green curry with vegetables, plus mock duck for vegetarian and chicken for the rest.

Wed - Mushroom Japchae — maybe. Backup plan of vegetarian Hakka noodles. Gochujang or soya chili chicken lollipops (french wings) depending on which noodle.

Thurs - Pasta bake for mom (either bechamel or tomato sauce, or a fusion bake using up leftover pav bhaji – her invention and subsequent party favorite), roasted veg, and sautéed baby lamb chops for us.

Fri - Some kind of takeout as everyone will be fed up by then.

Sat - Steak (beyond steak for mom), scalloped potatoes, spinach, and mushrooms .

Sun - TBD: maybe quesadillas with guacamole on the side, maybe enchiladas, or maybe not Mexican and I’ll just make quiche (eggless using a thick béchamel for mom, standard for us).

Did I mention (Alphonso) mango season is here? Just the start, but a mango deluge is about to be upon us.

Have a great week!

15 Likes

I don’t think so, but thanks for the heads-up. I’ll leave it a couple of weeks till the season is in full swing and then pay a visit to the nearby Asian supermarket which always has a good stock of mango. I’ll probabl;y also get some of their cheaper mangoes and make chutney (although I do actually prefer Sharwoods to my homemade)

3 Likes

This sounds delicious! Can you share more details?

Glad your mom is improving. I am sure the loving care you are taking of her is buoying her up.

5 Likes

I have to ask her (I’ve never actually made it!) but what I remember is pasta in white sauce, with the pav bhaji and some more stuff to add bursts of flavor.

2 Likes

Sounds like the leftover bhaji gets mixed into the white sauce? What happens with the pav? Is that also mixed in or placed on top?

2 Likes

Sounds great! Must try.

4 Likes

I feel this in my soul. Godspeed

5 Likes

Do you think she would be open to heartier breakfasts? Or even dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner?

3 Likes

I am curious: what it the pricy butcher for you? Sanagan’s?

That’s a good idea, but I think it’s just the sundowning in energy and mental fortitude that impedes at the moment.

I did swap in a small protein shake for her evening coffee to take the pressure off dinner and just let her enjoy it.

Poor thing, she’s so healthful and scientific herself, she really hates us sticking the nutrition bit on her :woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

No I think it’s kept distinct because otherwise it’s just muted by the white sauce. I’ll ask tomorrow.

1 Like

The Glebe Meat Market. I live near the Museum of Nature so it’s easy to get there by foot and they have more of what I like than Sasloves in the Byward Market. The cuts of meat they have at Sasloves are huge and whenever I’ve asked for smaller portions they were never interested in accommodating me. Their prepared meals look good though. The staff at the Glebe Meat Market have always been able to find smaller cuts of meat for me and I love their meat pies. I didn’t have any room for them in the freezer this time. I will have to work on that.

2 Likes

Nice! Yes, my mom goes there sometimes…

1 Like

Um, yeah, isn’t that every Friday? It is here…

4 Likes

In this house, Friday has generally turned into a standing delivery order for sushi. Probably not this week, because BF has to go to Florida to help care for his dad, but most weeks.

2 Likes