Weekly Menu Planning - March 2023

Thanks for the well wishes. The peanut butter noodles with cucumber is on the Bon Apetit website but there is now a paywall. I found the recipe on their website before-paywall but I found the same recipe that is almost word-for-word on Alexandra Cooks website: https://alexandracooks.com/2022/07/09/cold-peanut-noodle-salad-with-cucumbers/ The sauce calls for adding maple syrup, and I have even seen sugar used in similar recipes, but I omit it since I don’t like sugar or sweeteners of any kind in my Asian dishes.

5 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where a big storm is keeping me from my usual Friday grocery rounds. At least the power is still on and I’m not typing this from the basement…
Breakfast: Pat-in-the-pan biscuits from Cook’s Country
Saturday, March 4: Pork chops simmered in a chili gravy, probably beans and tortillas and some kind of veg
Sunday: Roast glazed chicken (a mash-up of a NYT and BA recipe), potato gratin, green bean salad, praline pecan bars from Maida Heatter.
Monday: Pasta with avocado pesto
Tuesday-Thursday: Scrounge/TBD. Maybe some mac and cheese?
Friday: A couple is coming to watch the cats while we’re on spring break next week; I’ll make this shakshuka bread to welcome them
Hope anyone who is experiencing weather gets through it OK! Have a great week and happy cooking!

11 Likes

That avocado pesto looks soooo good!

2 Likes

And the shakshuka bread looks quite interesting - thank you for the link!

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m banking that one

1 Like

Cooking for one in mid-coast Maine, where it is going to snow all day tomorrow.

Tonight: chicken paprikash with rice and sugar snap peas.

Saturday: chicken with Dijon-leek-vermouth-cream sauce with wild rice and broccoli.

Sunday: pork chop (using old Saveur recipe, pork chops piquant), leftover wild rice, either broccoli or braised endive.

Rest of the week depends on what I find at the butcher’s on Sunday.

Hoping to get a couple of cooking projects done tomorrow during the storm: spaghetti sauce with sausage and fennel for the freezer, and split pea soup with ham for lunches next week.

13 Likes

That sounds lovely…unless Jack Nicholson is around. :rofl:

1 Like

Happy birthday wishes!

2 Likes

For the record, the chicken parm stuffed peppers were a huge flop. Nobody liked them and nobody wanted the leftover pepper. Stupid TikTok.

7 Likes

Happy Early birthday!

2 Likes

Bummer!!

Yeah, but I’ll view this as taking one for the team - and warning my HO friends! :joy:

10 Likes

Have a wonderful birthday!

4 Likes

cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore. Trying to reduce food waste and use up stuff from the freezer

Sunday: roast chicken thighs and potatoes from Go-To Dinners, steamed green beans
Monday: leftover Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup from Barefoot Contessa at Home
Tuesday: Sunday leftovers
Wednesday: bolognese from the freezer over papparadelle
Thursday: shrimp scampi over jasmine rice
Friday: Thursday leftovers
Saturday: tomato-glazed mini meatloaf (Smitten Kitchen) with mashed potatoes, carrots roasted with thyme

15 Likes

Have a very Happy Birthday on Thursday! :birthday:

3 Likes

Made it through last week, and now the potential wrench in this week’s plans is jury duty on Thursday. Whee!

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Chocolate chip scones

S:(tonight) - takeout. Chicken pot pie, cupcake

Su: Loaded baked potatoes (bacon, cheese, sour cream, green onions) with salad

M: French dip - braised beef in onions (making a big batch on Sunday for this and the freezer) and gruyere on sourdough, leftover broth for dipping

T: TJs Cacio e pepe gnocchi, Brussel sprouts - vegetarian

W: Crab cake Florentine (basically served Benedict-style, but with creamy spinach instead of hollandaise) - seafood

Th: Beef stew (braised beef in onions, potatoes, carrots, peas, thyme)

F: Pasta with bacon, spinach, shallots, and parmesan

Have a good week!

11 Likes

French dip now going on the line-up! :yum:

3 Likes

Actuals for the past week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where plans got majorly rearranged after I injured my knee Wednesday just before dinner-prep; hyper-extended it (per Thurs Dr visit) by simply resting my heels on a low footstool for a half hour after a busy day of errands. Thankfully I am recovering fast and back to cooking today, although I’ll need to move carefully for another 2 weeks.

Mon: One-Pan French onion pork chops w Provolone, mashed potatoes, mixed veg.
https://www.juliapacheco.com/smothered-pork-chops/
Tues: reheat One-Pan French onion pork chops w Provolone, mashed potatoes, spinach salad
Wed: noon - Reheat-Meatloaf, mashed potatoes w onion gravy, sweet potato, red grapes. Dessert – Schwan’s turtle pie. Wed supper - a pasta salad I’d assembled in the morning, intending it to be lunches Th-Sa, with veggies, tomatoes, mozzarella and pepperoni, leftover lemony rotini with bacon and pine nuts, Italian dressing.
Thurs: (from freezer, with husband ferrying to/from microwave) Lasagna, mixed vegetables, salad, naan bread
Fri: Oven-baked Italian marinated (meat dept) chuck roast, microwaved potatoes, spinach salad, mandarin oranges
Sat: (husband cooked) frozen Pizza
Sun (today): Salmon, sweet potato, salad

13 Likes

Report from my neck of the woods, the Berkshires in western Massachusetts, where weather alerts are driving meal shopping and planning but almost no actual snow has fallen.
Actuals from last week center around a roast chicken on Sunday yielding chicken pot pie twice and chicken and mushroom marsala with potatoes and spinach. There was a cheeseburger and salad night and a pasta night. I planned a vegetarian sauce but my eggplant had spoiled so Italian sausage to the rescue for the linguini and salad dinner.
Last night we had Budget Bytes Barbeque pork meatballs with grits and greens. This is my favorite 2022 recipe.
The weekly brunch recipe was more sausage, gourmet patties from a new to me vendor and local maple syrup on waffles from Aldi’s. It’s the start of maple syrup season in the Berkshires.
Tonight is something with pre cut chuck stew meat, maybe chili as my mother made it.
Plans for the rest of the week feature leftover pasta for DH with a fried fish dinner for me, leftover barbecue meatballs and cauliflower mac and cheese, cheeseburger night and a ham steak with broccoli and cheese sauce probably Saturday. Spinach and caesar salads for the veg.

14 Likes

Hi, everyone. Cooking for two adults and a tween in suburban Boston.

Sun: meatloaf with red sauce https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/meatloaf-with-tomato-gravy-recipe-1944134 using GF breadcrumbs and ground turkey. Mashed potatoes on the side. Vegetables of some sort.

Mon: cornmeal-crusted pork chops https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/03/cornmeal-fried-pork-chops-goat-cheese-smashed-potatoes/ (just the chops, not the potatoes) and roasted rainbow carrots

Tues: chicken caprese skillet https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a41859045/caprese-chicken-and-polenta-bake-recipe/ but we need to buy baby spinach as the grocery store’s produce department was seriously understocked this morning.

Weds: meatloaf and mashed potatoes again

Thurs: chili with a variety of beans

Fri: beef and broccoli over rice

10 Likes