Weekly Menu Planning - March 2022

I’m so happy to hear your report but holy crap, what a year. At least you’re eating well!

7 Likes

Nice to see everyone!

This plan may change depending on what’s available at the market. Cooking for two adults in San Francisco.

Sunday: 4 cheese tortellini and spinach soup / steamed asparagus with prosciutto, aged balsamic and olive oil

Monday: harissa roasted cauliflower steaks / falafel with tahini sauce / cucumber and tomato salad

Tuesday: mussels with chorizo / crusty bread / red leaf salad with fried chickpeas and homemade Catalina dressing

Wednesday: braised rabbit with morels and pearl onions / spring vegetable medley of asparagus, fiddleheads, favas and peas– this will be my first time cooking rabbit at home.

Thursday: fried fish sandwich with tartar sauce – I will attempt a good version of the filet-o-fish sandwich with all homemade ingredients except for the cheese.

Friday: char siu bao / green beans with black bean and garlic sauce

Saturday: seafood gumbo

On this first day of Spring 2022, I wish you all peace and good health!

20 Likes

@truman
@pumpernickel

Watching the fresh asparagus references come in from those in warmer climes has me salivating. I can hardly wait for our turn!

6 Likes

@MunchkinRedux this might be the first time Boston has been called a warmer clime! :joy:

4 Likes

Reporting actuals for Mar 14 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Happy Spring! Walks outside in light jackets today, snow forecast for later this week. Restaurant meals out are happening much more often now - lunch Monday with friends not seen in more than a year, Saturday date-night with husband, and we’re both looking forward to tomorrow’s visit and restaurant meal with a friend who moved out of state.

Mon -Reheat slow cooker BBQ ribs, cheesy grits, pear half w/ cottage cheese, strawberries, Shared Pie slices – Key Lime and French Silk
Tues noon - Chicken & white bean chili (half recipe), (Schwan’s frozen) biscuits. Dessert – shared pie slices. The fresh lime to finish the chili is essential for us
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-chili-0
Tues evening - Reheat Sirloin, green beans and penne pasta in a balsamic & dijon mustard sauce. Crackers. Fresh fruit – grapes, strawberries, cara cara orange
Wed - Salmon, parm rissoto (box), peas
Thurs - Chicken Marsala (refrigerated packaged meal) over bow-tie pasta, fresh orange
Fri - reheat Chicken Marsala & bow ties
Sat -OUT - used a generous gift card from Christmas and have enough left on it for a weekday lunch (or just desserts, since those always look good but we seldom have appetite left to order…). Breaded mushrooms, grilled shrimp, loaded baked potato, broccoli. Beer. We split the appetizer and a single meal and still brought home half of each and enjoyed that for Sunday lunch.
Sun (today) - Chicken Livers & mushrooms in white wine sauce over rice. (Dinner a Day cookbook) Steamed broccoli. Wine.

14 Likes

Hello to all from the Boston area! We’re getting ready for MCAS at school this week, really it’s one of the least pleasant times of the school year for both the kids and adults. Planning yummy meals to get through it though! Here are actuals and projected for 2 adults and 1 small black cat:

Fri. (3/18) - I spent the afternoon out in Worcester getting my mom to appointments. BF had delivery pizza waiting for me on my return. Absolutely hit the spot and provided leftovers for breakfast the next day.

Sat. (3/19) - Out to dinner at our favorite bar. Short rib tacos, cheesy bacon fries, and lots of popcorn and adult beverages. I was in bed by 9:30!

Sun. (3/20) - Feeling ambitious on this first day of Spring, I made the Pescatarian Feast for Two from the Darjeeling Express cookbook, by Asma Khan. This consists of Macher Malaikari (coconut based fish curry), Phali Ki Sabzi (green beans with garlic and cumin), Chingri Bhaaja (stir fried shrimp with ghee - I used oil and unsalted butter), and Basmati Rice. I am so very, very full right now!

Mon (3/21) - Leftovers from the Pescatarian Feast!

Tuesday (3/22) - Rao’s Grilled Pork Chops with Hot and Sweet Cherry Peppers, mashed potatoes, and roasted green beans

Wed. (3/23) - Freezer find, probably Spaghetti Pie

Thurs. (3/24) - Freezer find, probably pasta e fagioli from Lidia Bastianich

Fri. (3/25) - I am hoping for sushi.

Sat. (3/26) - TBD, probably going out.

17 Likes

I love all the life in this!

4 Likes

@truman

Lol! Are you getting local asparagus this time of year?

I don’t usually plan a whole week in advance, but I’m going to give it a try.

Monday :
more of the vegetarian borscht with ginger that I made Sunday
Olia Hercules’ Papushka’s Borscht with Ginger

Chinese-braised lamb shanks inspired byThe Woks of Life HK -style Chinese braised lamb
Fruit salad

Tuesday
Angel hair with tuna, capers, herbs, basically a tuna niçoise pasta

sautéed spinach with garlic on the side

Wed
Roast lemon and oregano chicken, potatoes, maroulosalata

Thu
FarmBoy purchased pork spiedini (skewers)
Some sort of Italian braised beans

Friday

Just One Cookbook’s Miso Salmon

I usually wait to see which fish looks best on Friday.
Sides to be determined.

Saturday
Ribeye

14 Likes

@ Phoenikia

Wednesday sounds great - any details on the roast chicken method?

That Tuesday pasta sounds terrific. For how many are you cooking, @Phoenikia ? In our household of 2 we repeat/reheat a lot, with mix & match of sides. In a typical week I’ll only cook 3 mains fresh.

3 Likes

I tend use chicken thighs or legs, which I roast at 375ish. I’ve been making this for 25 years- around a pound of chicken parts, the juice of half a lemon, a generous shake of dried oregano, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add minced garlic, dried thyme and rosemary. I bake it, basting it occasionally until it’s golden. If I need more time to get my sides done, I cook it at a lower temp.

I sometimes add a little olive oil, but if the chicken has its skin, I don’t usually bother.

The seasoning here is pretty close to what I make , although I haven’t added ground coriander before. I’ll add ground coriander this week, to see if we like it . Cooks Country Greek Chicken

5 Likes

Thanks so much for this. I love this flavor profile. I have a couple of chicken quarters to use up - this sounds perfect.

1 Like

I’ve been cooking for 3 adults.

I tend to make the full amount of sauce with pasta recipes, and less pasta than a recipe calls for.

I usually end up making a new main each day, although sometimes I repurpose the rest of a roasted chicken or roast pork.

We tend to eat any leftovers for brunch or lunch, or as a side.

2 Likes

The pies sound especially delicious!

Happy first day of Spring! we had a lovely day here in St. Louis and 2 of our neighbors’ kids had birthday parties which provided lunch and dinner today. 2 adults/1 teen. Really embracing the beans here lately.
Sat 3/19: leftovers from last week
Sun 3/20: ditto, plus I cooked pinto beans before we knew that the 2nd neighbor party was happening today so I also had some beans as a bit of a snack.
Mon 3/21: pork tenderloin piccata from Simply Julia. serving with asparagus (first of the year but shipped from who knows where) and buttery egg noodles
Tue 3/22: husband is taking a unicycle riding class. he’s had a unicycle since college and never figured out how to ride it. Hence daughter and I get to eat mushroom pasta! and broccoli.
Wed 3/23: Perfect Poached Eggs with Spiced Chickpeas and Smothered Pita Chips from Cook this Book by Molly Baz. cauliflower.
Thu 3/24: Crispy Salmon with Bedazzle Rice also by Molly Baz (on her website). the name is silly but the recipe itself sounds really good. the rice includes herbs, lemon, walnuts, and currants.
Fri 3/25: takeout as per tradition–reward for surviving the week
Sat 3/26: Pinto soup with masa dumplings by Pati Jinich (the soup that did not get made today) and a romaine salad
If I find the energy/time, I might bake a loaf of bread. I really would love some brownies too and @sallyt’s Bars of Fame looked incredibly tempting.
Enjoy the spring and thanks as always for the motivation!

15 Likes

Hope to hear a report on the rice.

That pescatarian feast sounds amazing.

3 Likes

It was! I am so excited to be catching up on Darjeeling Express. I also have her new cookbook, Ammu, coming sometime this week!

1 Like

Ooh I’m excited to hear what you think of Ammu! I follow her on insta and she’s just seems so positive and good to her staff, o hope it’s true.

2 Likes