Weekly Menu Planning - March 2022

It doesn’t address your request for a cream-based dessert, but if your freezer stays full of rhubarb and berries, the “bluebarb” pie in Midwest Made is excellent!

5 Likes

Nigella Lawson has a rhubarb fool recipe that I believe @LulusMom1 has vouched for, for one example.

4 Likes

It will stay full even after the fool, so thank you! I will look this up.

3 Likes

This also sounds wonderful.

2 Likes

Every parent I know of young kids has been dealing with meltdown after meltdown this week. I blame daylight savings time. A mom at daycare drop-off was carrying her screaming 3 year old up the ramp this morning, looked at me, shrugged and said “well she is in fine form this morning” …same feeling kid. I hope the boys have recovered from the meatball fiasco.

Have a wonderful holiday celebration!

10 Likes

Yes! The rhubarb fool is fantastic. Basically rhubarb flavored whipped cream. One of my favorite things.

4 Likes

Greetings, People.

I’m enjoying exploring The Hungry Onion, and already have bookmarked some new ideas, recipes and techniques to try. I especially love the way links can be inserted in the text, and find the quality of the images amazing. It makes me happy to see so many familiar “faces” here.

This week’s menu reflects a soup clean-out from the freezer, mixed in with a few new recipes for dishes I’ve been wanting to make. We’re happily swimming in fresh greens from the garden, and they make the roster most nights.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW:

FRI: Serious Eats Keftedes. Greek potatoes. Greek salad. Tzatziki.

SAT: NYT Chicken and bean soup from the freezer. Homemade bread. Green salad.

SUN: Stromboli from Sally’s Baking Addiction. Green salad.

MON: Umbrian lentil soup from the freezer with wilted greens. Homemade bread.

TUE: Pasta e fagioli with wilted greens. Rolled from a prior week due to indecision, I’ve finally settled on the Washington Post version.

WED: Uzbeki plov. Baby green peas.

THUR: Ina’s Beef and barley soup from the freezer. Green salad.

18 Likes

I LOVED that stromboli.

5 Likes

I saw your comment about that (I think it was you) to someone’s prior post, which is what prompted me to try it. Thank you!

4 Likes

Oooh, I might have to copy your Greek Night menu… that sounds delicious!

5 Likes

Hello everyone and happy Friday! It’s nice seeing some familiar faces here and meeting new people. I am now working from home permanently and have been for a month now - just when everyone else is returning to the office! I am using my entire lunch hour going out for walks to get some sunshine (for that vitamin D fix) and to get some exercise. I am having fun getting acquainted with my own neighbourhood since I spent my past lunch hours going for walks around the office. On to my menu plan for this week:

Today: it’s Friday so I bought a take out lunch from a nearby Korean grocery store. I’m having a Japanese pancake and dumplings for lunch so I will have a salad for dinner.

Saturday: lunch out with a friend that got bumped from last Saturday. We got a snow storm last Saturday so our lunch has been rescheduled to today. I will have a salad for dinner.

Sunday: Oriental pasta salad. I will be using chow mein noodles as the base then adding a few snow peas, red pepper, and shrimp that needs to be finished up.

Monday: cabbage chickpea curry, rice.

Tuesday: garbure basque.

Wednesday: stuffed green pepper, veggies tbd.

Thursday: pasta arrabiata that got bumped from last Thursday so I could work on finishing up some peppers and basil.

Have a nice weekend and good luck to those who are returning to the office.

20 Likes

Hey everyone,

Slowly getting acquainted with this site - as everyone I work with will attest, tech is not my strong suit.

I wound up working in the office 3 days this past week, so it has definitely been an adjustment. The 3 year old is annoyed that the Samoyed puppy across the road keeps getting bigger (“why is she big now”?) There was also a fiasco this week about not wanting to wear a St. Patrick’s Day t-shirt, because it is not red. Red is his favourite colour.

The dog went to the vet for the annual checkup. He is a perfect body weight, which makes one of us. Looks like the 3 year old needs to step up his food sharing game. Turns out he is likely deaf as well, and the vet started him on some joint supplement, which I am going along with but find comical. The dog was not happy about the other dogs at the vet office, in particular the adorable golden retriever puppy. Dog then slept for 10 hours to allow full recovery of his trauma.

Cooking for 2 adults and a 3 year old in the Toronto suburbs, where the snow has mainly melted.

Friday (tonight) - NYT Pressure Cooker Chipotle Honey Chicken Tacos served on panini buns, going to try that pepita dressing for a chopped salad on the site

Saturday: grilled boerwors sausage (my husband picked it up at the butcher because he thought it looked “cool”. Farro & Goat Cheese Salad

Sunday: taking the little guy to a sugar shack during the day. Mexican Beef & Rice Casserole Against my better judgement… Also, it is the Dog’s 14th Birthday!!

Monday: lebanese split pea soup - my husband’s request, which was surprising. Sides TBD

Tuesday: Office Day sheetpan chow mein - add tofu https://smittenkitchen.com/2021/04/sheet-pan-chow-mein/

Wednesday: Enchilada Pasta Fully expecting a meltdown about the brown colour of the chickpea pasta.

Thursday: Office Day my husband’s problem. Last night, we were outside with the 3 year old and having St Patrick’s day beers before my husband realized that it was Thursday at 6:30pm and he had no plans for dinner. Greek delivery to the rescue! I think I have hacked the “office day dinners” by delegating.

I hope everyone has a fabulous week.

19 Likes

Is there a dressing on the oriental pasta salad? I always like the idea of cold noodle salads but don’t make them often

1 Like

I ended up making an adapted version of the rhubarb fool from James Beard’s American Cookery. Basically I just roasted rhubarb and some blueberry, sprinkled with brown sugar in the oven for a little while and then, lacking a sieve or mill, mashed it, let it cool down, and folded it into some whipped cream, which I flavored with some vanilla bean paste. I portioned these into individual cups and refrigerated for a couple of hours before dinner. Huge hit! Thanks again!

9 Likes

The recipe comes from “Lighthearted Everyday Cooking” by Anne Lindsay if you ever want to see the full recipe. I will be scaling down the ingredients to serve one. Ack! I just realized the recipe is to serve 10 so it calls for 1/2 a cup of rice vinegar, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 3 tbsp. minced ginger, and 2 cloves of garlic. Basically 2 parts of rice vinegar to 1 part soy sauce (I will probably use 1 tbsp. rice vinegar and 1 1/2 tsp. of soy sauce because I only want enough to coat the noodles) and I plan on eyeballing the ginger and garlic, Interestingly the recipe calls for 2 tbsp. sesame oil but she doesn’t say when to use it. I will probably add a splash to the dressing. (EDIT: this recipe actually calls for chicken as the protein but I will be substituting a few frozen shrimps I want to finish up. She doesn’t say if you are supposed to use the sesame oil to stirfry the chicken or to put in the dressing.)

6 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 back in Chattanooga. Today is our last day at the beach, and we’ll miss seeing the dolphins play from our balcony. Watching the spring breakers play, on the other hand…Anyway, here’s what I have planned. It’s kind of meat heavy because I did a lot of vegetarian stuff this week.
Saturday, March 19: Driving day; hoping to catch DD for late lunch in Atlanta on our way back.
Sunday: Roast chicken with onions and thyme, roast potatoes, salad
Monday: Ground beef/tofu patties, rice, salad
Tuesday-Thursday: scrounge/takeout or maybe even a restaurant! We mostly dined in here because the restaurant scene didn’t appeal to us, so we can make up for lost time :slight_smile:
Friday: Marinated salmon in a coconut milk sauce, rice, some kind of vegetable
Have a good week, hug your loved ones, and happy cooking!

16 Likes

I’m jealous of your view of the beach despite the spring breakers. We still have snow on the ground :frowning: Can you share the recipe or paraphrase the salmon in coconut milk? I’ve been making a lot of coconut milk based curries these days so it sounds up my alley…

2 Likes

I know, we are definitely lucky to be enjoying the sun! So here’s a paraphrased recipe (which is supposed to serve 1): Make a marinade from 50 g. oyster sauce, 2 T. soy sauce, 1 T. sake or Sherry, and some ground pepper (maybe white pepper would be good here?). Marinate 300 g. of salmon, cubed, in this mixture. He says 2 hours to overnight, but I probably would go for the shorter time. Bring 200 g. coconut milk to a boil with 1 t. sugar and 2 T. lime juice, and let simmer 5 minutes. In a separate pan, sear the salmon cubes. Serve the salmon with the sauce, garnished with lime zest.
I have not tried this recipe, so I’ll let you know if we like it once I have!

7 Likes

Feeding two humans and one Labrador in the mountains of southwest Virginia, and I am unable to sleep due to hip pain. Danged arthritis- no farm work for me today as today is grocery shopping day. Husband will clean out barn and spread manure today and tomorrow. One of the best statements I ever heard was a soil scientist tell my husband “You will never know your potential until your manage your manure.” This applies in so many areas of life. :rofl:
Saturday (tonight) steak and cheese sandwich for the husband and Angus, the Labrador, from local pizza shop. I will have their Italian hot sub. Love me some salami and capicola.
Sunday lunch - rib eyes, baked potatoes, salad and strawberries and blueberries- more salad for me and less steak and potato. The FIL will get this as well. Also grilling BS chicken breasts to have for the week in salads for lunch.
Monday- spaghetti and salad. Mondays are so bad for me as shop production and assembly works on Saturdays and I have tons of emails and purchase requests to respond to when I arrive at 7 am on Mondays. I have to have something that I can have ready quickly. I make the meat sauce on Sunday and then just cook the pasta when I come home on Monday. And I know that assembly will start on some HUGE high voltage panels on Monday so I expect lots of phone calls and emails about parts and components. No matter how much I plan and how much I order, there is always something that is left off the drawing and bill of material that is critical to getting it out the door. Right now is not the time to be short on wire, copper or really anything. I got about six emails yesterday about price increases. I don’t know how the three companies I buy for are going to handle this. There is a lot of money out there on purchase orders with expected ship dates into next year.
Tuesday-leftover ribeye will be repurposed into steak tacos for husband and I will have grilled chicken in mine
Wednesday- bacon and eggs for husband. I will have omelet with mushrooms and tomatoes.
Thursday- leftover spaghetti-Thursday is leftover day in our house cause by Thursday nights I am worn out.
Friday- Looking at that stromboli. I use Sally’s Baking Addiction Pizza Dough recipe so this will be an easy one for me.
On the farm front, more baby calves hitting the ground every day. I think we had 16 born in one day this week or at least that what my husband could count- may have been more. We lost a mother cow this week. She died giving birth, She wasn’t old old. I think she was about 8 or 9 years old so we should have been looking at culling her in the next year or so anyway. Of course the calf died too. But on the other hand we had a set of twins. As my father used to say “you have to have them to lose them”. For those that want to know, we plan on 10% loss of calves each year. Some years are more, some are less but in our 25+ years of calving that is the average.

20 Likes

Happy Birthday to the dog! I LOVE reading about your son and dog. Your stories could be a children’s book.

7 Likes