Weekly Menu Planning – July 2023

Your kitchen is beautiful! It must have been worth the wait.

3 Likes

WOW, Wow, WOW - beautiful kitchen! Love all the windows and light. You’ll have fun teaching the girls to cook in such a great space.

4 Likes

Gorgeous kitchen!

2 Likes

Costco on a Saturday is awful… this souvlaki recipe might tide you over!

4 Likes

Hi everyone! It’s been a wonderful week with barely any cooking, and there will be even less next week. We spent a couple days in NYC for our 20th, as I had mentioned before, and it was perfect. Roses and Moet waiting in the room, two nice dinners out, lots of alone time, and way too much fun at Bemelan’s bar, which led to a somewhat painful flight home on Friday. Yesterday he won the toss, and we went to see Oppenheimer (we liked it) and then had dinner out. Lulu comes home today, and we leave on family vacation on Tuesday.

Mon: pasta with roasted mushrooms and chive oil. An old favorite of his, nice to surprise him with it.

Tues: shrimp and corn sautéed in butter with basil, green onions, and chilies, baguette

Wed/Thurs: NYC

Fri: brain hurt, ordered pizza

Sat: post movie dinner out

Sun: LLD might cook, or we might just go straight from picking Lulu up at the airport to dinner out.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

15 Likes

This sounds great. I found a few versions on-line, and will try something similar.

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Yes, that is basically it! It’s very easy, and the mushrooms are fantastic. Honestly, just roast a bunch of mushrooms in olive oil and S&P, and be delighted. They’re good with anything.

4 Likes

I do that (roasted mushrooms) with a bunch of minced garlic and thyme, and they’re irresistible. I can eat the whole painful.

3 Likes

Glad the trip to NY was wonderful! But “he won the toss” - what would you have picked if you’d won?

2 Likes

Hi, everyone. Summer! Finally! Feeding two adults and a teen in the Boston burbs.

Last week was unexpectedly social, for me at least. On Thursday while DS was at the carnival with his friends, I had dinner with their moms. On Friday I met a former coworker for lunch (she contacted me out of the blue after 4 years - kinda weird but nice). And yesterday morning I finally had coffee with a friend I met while we were pregnant in NJ. It was all fun but I’m feeling a little too peopled and so today will be quiet… just some errands with DH.

Last week of theater camp! Final showcase is Thurs night / Fri morning, and DS has a few solos in songs as well as a solo number. I can’t even describe how proud I am of him for putting himself out there and taking risks.

Sun: meatloaf (probably Virgie’s from Bread Toast Crumbs using crumbs from a failed GF bread attempt I found in the freezer), twice baked potatoes, green beans. Also making breakfast cookies (Recipe Tin Eats) because I’m tired of granola and key lime popsicles (SK).

Mon: cornmeal-crusted chicken and corn and cotija skillet - Bittman’s How To Cook Everything Fast. Spanish rice and black beans. (Side note, I love this recipe and it is truly fast - but in the 1000+ page cookbook, it’s one of maybe 3 things I make regularly.)

Tues: pasta bolognese (The Dinner Plan), salad

Weds: “chicken and weird broccoli with rice noodles” aka pad see ew (Recipe Tin Eats)

Thurs: leftover meatloaf etc. either before or after the 6pm show

Fri: tbd

13 Likes

Actuals for July 17 week, cooking for 2 in MN. I got in a good amount of baking this week - so satisfying. And had our own salad bar style lunches with spinach, topped with lots of fresh veggies and variety of meats, hard boiled eggs, cheeses.

We’re bracing for an upcoming week of HOT weather (forecast is high-90’s most days, and 2 days over 100 F), so tomorrow morning may be my last chance to make a planned fruit crisp. Evening meals will likely be sandwiches in front of the TV/webcams of airshows from Oshkosh WI (EAA Airventure).

Mon: Liver & mushrooms in white wine sauce over rice, peas with cashews
Tues: BAKED – French Toast Blueberry Muffin Cups for breakfast, Dinner - reheated Liver & mushrooms in white wine sauce over rice, peas with cashews
Wed: Salmon, Caprese salad (sliced tomato, red onion, sliced fresh mozzarella, basil, balsamic vinegar), asparagus with hollandaise, baked potato,
Thus: Cod mini fish sticks, beside and in hoagie bun halves, Schwan’s sweet potato / brown rice bowl, red grapes
Fri: Salad w veggies toppings, Caprese salad & side of rice
Sat: noon - Sheetpan chicken potatoes and asparagus in garlic wings sauce. Side of fresh orange segments https://www.juliapacheco.com/sheet-pan-parmesan-garlic-chicken-tenders-with-potatoes-and-asparagus/ Dinner - Corn on the cob, Shrimp and peapods with red/green pepper slices. (lemon olive oil and Old Bay seasoning). Last of the Caprese tomato/mozzarella. Naan bread.
BAKED Rhubarb orange pecan muffins
Sun (today): pasta main dish salad w chicken, mandarin oranges green grapes, sliced almonds. A half recipe using sliced water chestnuts in place of celery, less mayo, and Redi-whip as the whipped cream. Appetizer/side of blueberries & gouda on toothpicks. BAKED Party biscuits mini-muffins (from 4 ingredient cookbook – Self-rising flour, Cream, sugar)

8 Likes

Barbie! Interested in the new Wes Anderson too, but wanted to be part of the big Barbenheimer weekend.

5 Likes

Excited for the show on Thursday, and totally impressed with a 13 year old boy having the guts to solo. Good job to all of you!

4 Likes

I was surprised to see my name I had to make the blueberry cake that I had completely forgotten aboit.
Easy peasy and so good. Now I have a half can of condensed milk I may.make it again.
Thanks for the memory

2 Likes

Comic-Con was fun. Now we’ll have an easy week of dinners, while we recover. (24 miles walked in 4 days!)

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Pulled some double chocolate chip muffins from the freezer.

Th-Su: Dinners out due to Comic-Con. We enjoyed going to restaurants full of cosplayers and tourists near the convention center. Expensive? Yes. Festive and fun? Also yes.

M: (tonight) Chile colorado with beans, cheese, guacamole and tortillas

T: Lobster ravioli (purchased) with garlicky spinach - seafood

W: Hummus topped with marinated cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, feta, and chicken - salad-ish.

Th: Eggs scrambled with spinach and cheese with hash browns or toast - vegetarian

F: Old school crunchy tacos - ground turkey, cheese, salsa, guacamole

Have a good week!

14 Likes

I might need to steal the lobster ravioli/garlicky spinach idea.

The August discussion is ready for whenever your week’s plan is more August than July.

Sauteed a container of baby spinach in olive oil, salt, pepper, and a LOT of garlic until the spinach is a little crispy. Add pasta water if needed to dress the ravioli. Very simple, healthy “sauce”.

3 Likes

Actuals for the last week of July, cooking (or assembling) for 2 in MN. Where we ate our variety of cold sandwiches while virtually visited the Oshkosh, WI EAA Airventure daily. We watched afternoon airshows, dusk to dark spot-landing and powered parachute displays and a couple of night airshows. Plus arrivals and departures via the “Green Dot” camera. Air traffic controller radio instructions were nonstop for landings and departures - high intensity workloads for pilots and the ATC staff.

Mon: BAKED blueberry whole wheat muffin tops
Tuna & veggies salad in pita, snap peas with ranch dip
Tues: Lunch -Teriyaki Pineapple turkey meatballs over rice, peas Dinner - Hawaiian BBQ chicken sandwiches on burger buns with sliced tomato & red onion and spinach. Build-your-own fruit-salad array.
Wed: Repeat sandwiches, bell peppers, cucumbers and ranch dip, Fritos, strawberries and Party biscuits
Thurs: Chicken & veggies salad filling on tortilla, trial-run of baked appetizer: canned Chili over cream cheese w/ fritos
Fri: Reheat Teriyaki Pineapple turkey meatballs over rice. Fresh spinach. Fresh peaches and red grapes with cottage cheese, Strawberries and party biscuits with whipped cream.
Sat: Canned chili taste-off, plus reheated Friday lunch nachos, red grapes. Comparing Wolf no bean chili V Hormel turkey no bean chili - WINNER - Hormel. Both are way, way too salty.
Sun (today): Sheetpan Pork Chop, asparagus, sweet potato

7 Likes