Weekly Menu Planning - July 2022

Actuals for the week of July 18th.

Sunday: frenzy of cooking and clearing out my fridge prior to a long trip - hope family eats all that I made and not let it go bad and chuck it out.

Monday-Tuesday: several long flights. Airplane food. Although nowadays long haul flights offer a veggie meal option, I pre-book an Asian Veg meal that is typically something Indian-ish.
My first dinner was salad, chickpea masala (-ish, generously interpreted) with rice, and a brownie.
My second dinner was veggie korma (-ish, not bad, not great) with rice, salad, baklava, and the attendant offered me a chocolate mousse tart which I accepted. The mousse part was good, the tart shell not so great so I left most of that.
I slept through the breakfasts and had to grab a sandwich during my long layover.
I have low expectations for airplane food and just mentally accept whatever they dish out. I remember the days when long haul flights out of India used to come with a little plastic packet of spicy pickle (mixed veg or lemon/lime) and those were great to ease the food down. I would save any extras and douse the uniformly terrible breakfasts with them. We don’t seem to get these any longer. (shrug).

Wednesday: I arrived into India (city in the South) in the early morning. No breakfast.
Lunch: As my family’s designated eater (my mother is too elderly, sister is busy on a working day) I attended the ‘first year death anniversary ceremony’ of a close family friend’s father. This involved a South Indian banana leaf lunch. Not the time for pictures but you can get an idea here or here.
The meal was (as typical) fabulous. The local caterers don’t mess around. It followed the customary order of operations:
Sit at long table that has disposable paper tablecloth and pre-laid banana leaves (different from my young days when we sat in rows on the freshly cleaned floors and bent over to eat). Dhoti-clad waiters walk up and down serving from large buckets or baskets.
Water glasses are filled first. Protocol: eater sprinkles water on the impeccably clean leaf and brushes it off. Eat with right hand only (left hand is for personal hygiene, as in many other cultures).
First items to be served along the upper perimeter of leaf: a few slices of banana with sugar, a sprinkle of salt, a dab of pickle. These are customary.
Side dishes: kosumalli (chopped cucumber salad); a vegetable side dish or two (green beans, and a fabulous potato-black pepper sabzi); aviyal (mixed steamed veg in coconut, spices, yogurt gravy); koottu (veg steamed in dal w/ typical spices).
Rice, rice, and more rice: First, at the leaf’s center, a large blob of plain rice is served that the eater partitions into segments for the various accompaniments. Given the demographic of the guests, everyone was yelping to the waiters to serve only tiny rice portions. Waiters always serve a little more than people ask because must demonstrate hospitality and abundance.
Then come the things-eaten-with-rice: (1) a dollop of ghee on one of the segments, followed by (2) plain toor dal and (3) sambar - the eater mixes as they like. Eat as liked with dabs of the side dishes. (4) another segment of rice with ghee and rasam (ecstasy!). (5) Final segment of rice with yogurt or buttermilk. Making rice dams so that the runny dishes don’t drip off the edge of the leaf onto your lap is a skill acquired very early.
Add-ons: papad. Spiced rice side dishes - which seem redundant but are typical, usually something like lemon rice or puliyodare (tamarind peanut rice). Today’s feast was puliyodare. Just took one teaspoon of this to taste. Well worth it.
Sweets: two in today’s meal: badushah (like a sweet flaky glazed donut called balushahi in North India), and a paper cup of payasam (=kheer, rice pudding).
After eating we lined up to wash our hands dipping water out of a gigantic - waist high - copper vessel into the garden flower bed. Tucked up saris, dhotis, salwars, etc. to prevent splashes.
I did my duty as the family eater and staggered home in a food coma + jet lag. Don’t ask me what dinner was because I have no memory.

Thu: Breakfasts was pongal + usual sides (I posted in the What’s for Breakfast thread).
Lunch: tried a vegetable made from chayote leaves from the vine growing up the house. Taste was okay, nothing remarkable, but I think it was undercooked and fibrous. The dal component was sambar with veg drumsticks. I had chapatis. Yogurt. Last of the mango season: Mallika mangoes and pomegranate. (I missed some of my favourite mango varieties: Banganpalli, Malgova, Salem Gundu - gigantic mangoes from the town of Salem and the Tamil word ‘gundu’ translates to ‘fatso’ or ‘hand grenade’ or ‘sphere’ depending on the context.)
Dinner: mostly leftovers as is typical.

Fri: breakfast was hard boiled eggs doused in masala ketchup + toast.
Lunch: Morkozhambu (buttermilk stew) made with okra. Sabzi was green beans South Indian spices. Chapatis. Masala chips on the side - I cannot resist these. Eat now, exercise later. Yogurt, mangoes, pomegranate.
Dinner: leftovers.

Saturday: Breakfast idlis + accompaniment
Lunch: Lobiya (black eyed peas) dal, chayote sabzi, diced cucumber+tomato salad, chapatis, yogurt, Neelam mangoes, pomegranate.
Dinner: leftovers

Sunday: Breakfast: Kanjeevaram idlis: different from plain idlis in that the batter is spiced, boosted with soaked chana dal left whole and few cashew nuts. It is steamed in a large plate and then cut up, instead of steamed in individual rounds. Usual accompaniments.
Lunch: masoor dal, fried bitter melon (I am the only one who likes this), diced salad, kohlrabi sabzi, chapatis, yogurt, mangoes, pomegranate.
Dinner: same.

Monday: same pattern so won’t detail, only remarkable at lunch for a very delicious tinda masala sabzi that my mother’s cook is famous for - elevating a humble and much ridiculed vegetable into something we look forward to and ask for! Tindas are usually considered tasteless.

I will definitely be hauling excess baggage around my middle when I return to the US.

Happy eating all!

18 Likes

That was epic! :drooling_face:

5 Likes

Wow, you can be our designated eater as well! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Have a wonderful visit with your mom and sis!

Btw I almost always lose weight when I’m visiting India - even with what seems like SO much more food cumulatively, I think the balance is so much better than my usual eating, however healthy.

Now the real problem is the sweets and the outside food - all those favorites come in to play much more often than when they’re spread out in normal life!

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

No reporting in a while because I was in crazy cleaning + organizing mode before my nephews arrived, and then on an eating spree through my younger nephew’s NYC favorites (which included me NOT eating several meals, which puzzled him deeply, lol).

In case you’re curious what the eating spree included:

• New York pizza - his favorite (ie the one by where he grew up), my favorite (down the street from me), Roman-style (by the older one’s old school, ludicrously expensive but delicious and constituted the occasional after-school treat)
  • Dim sum - his favorite (near me, ridiculously expensive, but he only eats 2 things there and looks forward to them all year, so who cares), my favorite (in chinatown, my first visit post-pandemic and it was a slight disappointment tbh), we never made it to my new favorite (because: pizza)
  • Bagels - we tried a “regular” one from a deli, then I decided to take him to what’s regarded as one of the top nyc bagels (which was a great bagel, but also a long wait… also pretty sure the guy considered throwing in extra bagels a form of flirting hahaha - I ordered 6, we had 10 when I checked at home)
  • Indian - we only made it to South Indian, but it was a big hit, and a great revisit because I used to take the two of them there alone when they were little, and he recognized it unlike many other landmarks

The little one went home, older one is still here doing a summer program, but he’s mostly on his own there so I’m off full-time aunt duty, and thinking about what I want to eat myself again!

Tentative thoughts, may change based on mood and effort:

Mon - We had a HO-down in Flushing’s Chinatown at lunchtime, which lasted me through dinner!

Tues - Umami noodles, using some Chinatown produce (shiitake and oyster mushrooms). Maybe some Viet lemongrass pork chop on the side (marinated and frozen).

Wed - Taking older nephew on a college tour just before dinner, will feed him either Ethiopian or grandma pizza which are nearby. Probably Ethiopian, which he likes but never gets to eat. He’ll go back to his friends and I will proceed to another HO-down - this time in Queens at an Egyptian restaurant.

Thurs - Missing my friends due to unintentional self-imposed hibernation, and also their summer travels / weekend houses. Thinking wine & small bites with one of them around the corner from me at one of our favorite spots.

Fri - Maybe catch up with another friend. He recently separated and moved back into the city, and also has a big surgery coming up. Might be nice to have a casual evening without any of those stressors in play. If not, leftovers from the South Indian restaurant - chhole (chickpeas) plus some carb (the bhatura / giant puri that came with it is probably leather at this point).

Sat - Whatever didn’t happen on Fri.

Sun - Might make biryani. In my freezer rummaging I found lamb that I had marinated for this purpose.

I’m also gearing up to bake my usual brownies and maybe also take a stab at Egyptian Basbousa for tomorrow, as the restaurant apparently doesn’t serve dessert, and one of the non-NYC HO visitors will be celebrating a birthday!

16 Likes

This might be my favorite HO post of 2022 thus far. I had a rough time on my one and only trip to Delhi (we were transiting to Kathmandu). I want to explore the south.

5 Likes

Ok @Saregama and @Rasam are tied for my favorite posts. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

The August discussion is ready for whenever your plan/report is more August than July.

2 Likes

Was just OK. Quite sweet. It’s more cobbler than coffee cake. I added crushed Danish butter cookies and slivered almonds on top for crunch. Skipped the drizzle. I added more cherry filling so it took longer to bake. Fine, but I probably won’t make again unless leftovers are amazing. Sometimes that happens.

3 Likes

I did a mash-up of the two dressing recipes - 4 T lime juice, 3 T oil, 2 T honey, 1-2 T garlic (about 1/2 T), 1 minced jalapeño, about 1 T freeze-dried cilantro, salt and pepper. Mixed and then added a bag of shredded coleslaw mix (green cabbage and carrots) and 2 scallions. It was really good!!

2 Likes

What a great auntie you are, indulging in that spree! I feel full just reading it :slight_smile: Amazing food week!

6 Likes

If you want to read about our HO Egyptian group dinner it’s reported here:

I did end up baking both Basbousa (Egyptian semolina cake) and brownies because there wasn’t supposed to be dessert course — but then there was!

Here’s the baking write-up on Basbousa:

5 Likes

I was Very Full and missed a few of those meals :joy:

Kiddo couldn’t understand how I I just sat and watched while he ate the last round of Roman pizza before the airport… insisted I have a bite or two because he thought I was going hungry hahaha

4 Likes

I’ve spent the last week walking by my computer, catching up. For some reason, HO wasn’t telling me there were new posts on this thread. I must not have done something essential. There was very little cooking for me this past month - I was away, Lulu was away, LLD was away. It’s been a nice break from the kitchen. There has been some - mostly easy stuff, and wonderful. I tried the Smitten Kitchen zucchini pizza for just me, and liked it a lot, although I think it could use some garlic. Or, now that I’m thinking about it, maybe something like capers, or marinated artichoke hearts would be good/interesting. Anyway, mostly just posting to say that I’ve loved catching up on everyone’s lives, and I hope to start posting again in mid-August. Happy summer!

12 Likes

You have to set “Topic Controls” at the bottom left of this page to “Watching” (only if you haven’t commented yet - once you comment, it’s automatically set).

Also have to do it for each new month’s post.

You could also “follow” MTT (and/or others here) from your profile page — then any new post she makes will automatically give you a notification, including future threads.

1 Like

Fair assumption

1 Like

Actuals for the last week of July, cooking for 2 in MN. Where evening dinner prep worked around daily live-stream videos of the EAA Oshkosh (WI) Airventure air shows. Just an amazing event that we attended in-person for many years. It’s estimated that 1/4 of all private aircraft in USA fly-in sometime during the week, most families staying several days for the forums, vendors, and daily air-shows. And it’s a good thing Friday’s meal made enough for 3 days, since the weather’s perfect to enjoy touring other people’s fabulous water gardens yesterday and today. Ahhhhh SUMMER.

Mon: noon - Ham/turkey pepperoni/cheddar Grinders on individual hoagie buns topped with great “salad” , a variation on this Julie Pacheco Grinder Sandwiches recipe, Mon evening - Crock pot coffee rubbed pork shoulder - I cook this on HIGH for 6 hours, sweet potato, spinach salad
Tues: Sweet corn beside pulled pork, leftover grinder salad
Wed: Rings pasta salad with chicken, green grapes, mandarin oranges & sliced almonds
brioche mini-buns, Club crackers
Thurs: Rings pasta salad with chicken, green grapes,etc. Hawaiian rolls
Fri: One-pot tortellini w sausage, tomatoes and cream,/ baguette
Sat & Sun: One-pot tortellini w sausage, tomatoes and cream, salad, fresh peach slices, baguette. Dessert: ice cream

10 Likes

That one pot tortellini looks about my speed these days. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Weekly Menu Planning – August 2022

A post was merged into an existing topic: Weekly Menu Planning – August 2022