Weekly Menu Planning - February 2024

So much sounds delicious here!

Sympathy on the various eating roadblocks!

2 Likes

Greetings, People.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW:

FRI: A new-to-me chowder recipe: Swedish salmon soup from The Happy Foodie (UK). This one looks promising with spinach and tomatoes. Biscuits of some variety to go with.

SAT: Leftover Senate Bean Soup from the freezer. Leftover biscuits.

SUN: My turn for pinchos morunos. Couscous probably, and thinking of a grated carrot salad to go with.

MON: Pizza night. Variety TBD, but will be served with green salad.

TUE: NYT’s mac and cheese with greens – we like this best with spinach instead of kale (gift link).

WED: Ruth Reichl’s chicken diavolo (another gift link). Salad greens.

THUR: Steak on the grill. Green salad.

14 Likes

I had another health wake-up call this week. LOL.

It’ll be healthier food at home. I already cook relatively healthy meals. So -

Wed:
We had salmon with lemon and dill, shrimp with garlic and oregano, eggplant parm from the freezer,
angel hair with garlic and tomatoes

Thu:
Probably baked biftekia
Russian cabbage soup
Maybe use up some Ukrainian mushrooms dumplings from the freezer
Pierogies (some are cabbage filled instead of potato)

Fri:
I guess it’ll be a white fish, either halibut or haddock. Style tbd. Probably some rice.

Sat:
Healthy-ish takeout for me.

9 Likes

If it’s any help, I usually do once a month cooking during the winter months so I’ll make three different soups to have for weekday lunches then lots of stews and casseroles that I can heat up during the week. I make enough leftovers to last a month until the next cook off. It’s a lot of work the weekend I do my cook off but my future self thanks me for it and it’s a good way of reducing salt, fat and all the bad stuff we like to avoid. I can’t help with restaurant recommendations since I haven’t been to Toronto lately but if you like frozen dinners the Blue Menu ones are pretty good.

4 Likes

:slight_smile: I guess I want specific dishes, rather than general approaches.

No worries re: restaurant recs. That healthiesh dinner will likely be Israeli, Mediterranean, Vietnamese or Japanese. Or maybe Mexican chicken soup ( Reddit Food Toronto ISO chicken soup to go ) LOL. I am probably one of the 3 the most prolific restaurant trier-outers on the Toronto board (ElvisAhmed also tries a lot of new restaurants, in terms of sheer quantity, as does DrJohn), in terms of number of new establishments tried each month.

Charles, estufarian, and DrJohn dine at more top quality restaurants than I do.

I’m not really a fan of frozen Blue dinners or other President’s Choice / Our Compliments / Irresistibles / Farm Boy / M& M frozen dinners. A lot of frozen prepared food contains an ingredient or preservative that gives me hives, so my frozen meal intake is much less than it was years ago. This year, one of the people I cook for decided the frozen pizzas and ribs were too salty, so right now the only frozen prepared foods I have been buying have been Chinese dumplings and pierogies.

Before I had to give up downhill skiing, I used to like Amy’s frozen meals (Mexican, Thai or Indian) and Indian Life frozen meals for a quick microwave dinner in a few minutes, after a long day trip. I haven’t bought any in 4 years. https://www.indianlife.ca/

1 Like

I want to like jackfruit preps, but have not found any that I’ve liked. If anyone can make jackfruit delicious, it’s you. Looking forward to hearing about this dish if you get around to it although I have to admit it sounds a bit weird.

2 Likes

No pressure :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 back in Chattanooga, where it’s warmer than in the Bay Area! It was a lovely time but it’s nice to be back in my own kitchen!
Breakfast: Zucchini coffee cake
Saturday, February 24: Pappardelle with lamb ragu, green beans
Sunday: Going to a potluck at a friend’s house and bringing an apple tart
Monday: Spiced lamb pitas and beets with tahini sauce (that might go on the pitas as well)
Tuesday: Scrounge
Wednesday: Egg salad with chickpeas and asparagus from Family
Thursday: More scrounge
Friday: Roast potatoes and quinoa with veggies and cheese from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian
Hope the last week of February is a good one for you. Happy cooking!

10 Likes

The March discussion is ready for planning later in the week and next week.

4 Likes

This semester has started off wild, and it seems like there just aren’t enough hours in the day.

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: I baked last week! Chocolate chip scones. Still have a few to start the week. Might try a lemon loaf next.

S: (tonight) takeout - chicken curry fried rice, gyoza

Su: Pasta with chicken and asparagus

M: Beer cheese soup with kielbasa, bread on the side - soup

T: Asparagus tart (purchased puff pastry) with Boursin cheese, salad - vegetarian

W: TJs Santa Maria tri-tip, green chile macaroni and cheese

Th: Tuna melts with fruit - seafood

F: Leftover tri-tip tacos

Have a good week!

11 Likes

Actuals for Feb 19 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where the sliding planned item, for months, has been “scallop potatoes and ham”. Still hoping to get that made before this year’s Easter ham leftovers join the freezer party. For every meal below add “and spinach salad for husband”; I eat one about every 4th day.

Mon: Shrimp & onion fajitas (w/ taco seasoning, lime juice, skillet-cooked in lemon oil) on soft tortillas, coconut rice, with Pineapple Salsa from Margaritaville cookbook pg 158 of printed book, p. 148 of ebook
Tues: BAKED Microwave Bundt Mug cakes – success – split one recipe between the 2 Bundt cups, used far less floured baking spray.
Dinner - Bacon apple pizza Thanks, again MunchkinRedux and Phoenika for recommending
Wed: Bacon apple pizza, tossed salad & spinach salad, fruit salad w lime dressing & whipped cream
Thurs: Turkey breast baked in apple cider w/ Prudhome Poultry seasoning, sweet potato, fresh orange
Fri: Leftovers – turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, pineapple/coconut bread, fruit salad w lime dressing
Sat: Panko/Parm coated cod baked on Greek-herbed frozen peas. Reheated mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes. Fresh fruit salad – orange, apple, banana… Cod Recipe is from Rozanne Gold’s Radically Simple cookbook
Sun (today): Tuna melts on homemade (last week and frozen) whole wheat buns. Sweet potato tots/puffs.

11 Likes

Hi everyone, feeding two adults and a teen in the Boston burbs. We are all super excited to get back to school/regular work schedules tomorrow! Not. (The last week was a vacation week for MA public schools, which is always nice but a bit much.)

Sun: spaghetti and meatballs, roasted broccoli. I’m making a double batch of meatballs and sauce so DS can have leftovers for lunches this week. I made a huge pot of steel-cut oats in the IP for my breakfasts, and forgot that grains need a natural release… so I had a ton of starchy ooze to clean up. I’ve also got plans to make a pot of Turkish red lentil soup for my lunches.

Mon: buttermilk-brined chicken breasts (based on NYT recipe), mashed potatoes, roasted cabbage with parmesan (for me, peas for the guys so they don’t complain)

Tues: fish tacos, refried black beans. Eating in shifts because DS has to be at the high school at 5:30 for the 7pm step-up chorus concert, where the 8th graders sing with the high school students.

Weds: repeat of Monday

Thurs: we’re celebrating Leap Day with an unbalanced dinner of queso fundido (with ground chicken, tomatoes, and poblanos) with tortilla chips and a jicama-radish slaw. Both recipes are from Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything Fast.

13 Likes

Bonus meal comment - tonight’s Chicken Alfredo Tortellini Soup was a winner. Inspired by this recipe which I found after over-hearing a description from 2 neighbors out on their mid-day walk just as I got to my mailbox. Just no telling where meal ideas might come from - I said “THANKS” and waved.

My version used up the half jar of Alfredo sauce leftover from a casserole recipe last week.

3 Likes

Greetings, People.

Leap Day and the first week of March brings a lot of variables regarding our household schedules. Dinner plans include salads and sandwiches for the duration. Lucky for me, as Caesar salad is one of my all-time favorites. Not a remarkable meal plan, but my favorite thing about this thread is that it reflects how real people eat every day, and in that I do find inspiration (and sometimes solace).

FRI: The pork tenderloins from earlier this week came in a two pack, so dishing up the second portion here: Pork souvlaki on the grill. Scallion couscous. Greek salad. Tzatziki.

SAT: Chicken Caesar salad.

SUN: Salmon Caesar salad.

MON: Sandwiches and finger food.

TUE: Sandwiches and finger food.

WED: Sandwiches and finger food.

THUR: Steak Caesar salad.

14 Likes

Inspiring – a Caesar salad week! Putting this on my ideas list, with protein and bread pairings options.

3 Likes

My bread machine will be working overtime next week. I love that thing. It was probably my favorite kitchen-related purchase of 2023.

3 Likes

I share @MunchkinRedux 's love for caesar. You are inspiring yet a second person to add it to my menus :slight_smile: I am stuck in a lunchtime rut these days so my caesars may appear on my lunch menus.

4 Likes

I approve of this menu! And now I’m thinking of a salad week. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Actuals for the last week of Feb/start of March, cooking for 2 in MN. Where it’s been warm enough to have windows open for a bit, mid-day, and walks around our block no longer require parkas and boots.
This week also included 2 Costco trips, first for eyeglasses adjustment and 2nd recheck exam with the dreaded eye drops that make reading impossible and sunglasses mandatory for 6 hours. Sampling and a bit of shopping both days got me home with 2 “R&D budget” foods - sable grapes grown in South Africa (taste just like red grapes to us) and Sukhi’s brand chicken/mango/coconut meatballs that I liked when sampling and husband liked when served at home.

Mon: Tamale casserole from freezer, ripe olives, sour cream, lettuce/spinach salads, fresh orange
Tues: Haloumi/wild rice/yellow squash/apricot skillet, with added chicken, naan bread. I usually make this with cooked farro, not the freekah of the original recipe, but my freezer bags of cooked grains turned out to be wild rice. A happy surprise, since my husband commented that he preferred this “new” version.
Wed: (Costco sampling find) Sukhi’s meatballs chicken/coconut/mango over brown rice. Fresh spinach salad. Sable grapes
Thurs: Scallop potatoes and ham “my way” recipe posted below, spinach, fresh orange, sable grapes
Fri: Salmon, fresh deli pasta w/ butter/tomato/garlic sauce, cauliflower, fresh orange
Sat: from freezer - Chimichangas and tamale casserole , with toppings
Sun (today): Cod on potato rafts, with lemon and capers (Sheet Pan Suppers by Molly Gilbert – pg 81) and coleslaw. Sable grapes.

8 Likes

Scallop potatoes and ham with Cheddar - MTT’s way
Total time – about 2 hours - 30 minutes prep, 65 minutes bake, 5 minutes standing/firming time.
6 servings
Starting point Better Homes and Gardens cookbook Cheesy Scallop Potatoes (p.403). Added (as shown below) 1 clove minced garlic, 1 1/2 cup diced ham, an extra potato (4, not just 3) and used cheddar cheese, not American. Layered in greased 8x8 pan.

2 T. butter
1/4 C. diced onion
1/2 tsp. (1 clove) minced garlic
2 T. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt (I may have used less – 4 shakes), 1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/4 C. milk (I used skim)
3/4 C. shredded cheddar cheese (plus option 1/4 C additional, to top at the end of baking – not needed)
3 – 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1/2 C. diced ham / 8oz package Hormel cubed ham

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8x8 (or 1 quart) baking dish. Get out foil to cover. Get out a small saucepan able to hold at least 4 C.
Peel & slice potatoes. Dice onion. Dice ham. Measure out milk & cheese. Measure out flour.
Melt butter in saucepan. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic. Stir in flour, salt & pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens and is bubbly - about 8 minutes.
Stir in shredded cheese and turn off heat. Stir until cheese is melted.
Place HALF of the potato slices in the baking dish. Top with HALF the sauce. Evenly spread ALL the ham on the sauce. Layer the rest of the potato slices and top with the rest of the sauce.
Cover with foil and bake, covered, 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes more until the potatoes are tender.
Let stand 5 minutes.

4 Likes