Weekly Menu Planning - February 2023

The food was great, but the ambiance was only so-so (hot and crowded). We could see that they do a lot of takeout, so that will be our strategy next time :slight_smile:

You may be able to resell on FB marketplace or your neighborhood / town group.
But donating to HHH or tiling another area in your home is a great idea too.
Save a few tiles as spare in case something gets damaged down the road?

5 Likes

Actuals for Feb 20 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where we “only” got 13 inches of light fluffy snow during the 3-day storm. We were able to clear the driveway during pauses of the snowfall and (driving well under the speed limits) get to some hard-to-reschedule appointments Wednesday and Thursday mornings. Twice this week I found myself searching for the Margaritaville Cookbook that was a Chowhound COTM. Turns out (per my note to myself on the EYB bookshelf) I had used a library copy of the book. I’ve now got my own copy of the ebook version.

Mon lunch: Lasagna (homemade, from freezer), mixed veggies, garlic bread
Mon dinner: Curry cod and coconut rice, fresh pear, grapes
Tues: Reheat Curry cod with added shrimp. Coconut rice. Romaine salad with tomatoes. Orange segments.
Wed: Mahi-Mahi beside Farro/zucchini/haloumi side with naan
Thurs: Hot ham & Swiss poppy seed sandwiches, red grapes, mandarin oranges
Fri lunch: Meatloaf (grocery meat department), microwave baked potatoes, broccoli
Fri dinner: Boursin and tomato pasta sauce with large shells, shredded cooked chicken stirred in. Lettuce. I was not impressed by the pricey Boursin in the pasta recipe and would use cream cheese with herbs instead another time.
Sat: French cabbage soup w/ kielbasa, crackers, fresh pear and red grapes. Dessert - Strawberrries w/ lemon Bundt
Sun noon: Salmon, peas, lemony rotini pasta w/ bacon & pine nuts, simplified a lot from this NYTimes recipe
Sun supper: Margaritaville Cookbook’s Cuban meat loaf survival sandwiches (add cumin & chili seasoning to leftover meat loaf with grilled onions/green pepper, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, mustard, lettuce) - on hoagie buns

14 Likes

How do you think this would be with the roux greatly reduced? I don’t think I would like such a thick soup (plus, calories), but it intrigues me.

@rstuart Here is a belated review of Dreamland Cafe:

The restaurant made a tasting menu just for our group so we had a few dishes to aample from. We started with a kale caesar which was nicely dressed but could have used more garlic and anchovies since I couldn’t taste either. We then had meatballs which were probably the best I’ve ever had and the tomato sauce was perfect - not too cloyingly sweet. Our next dish was a fettuccine alfredo with pesto sauce and shrimp added and it was also very tasty. Next was gnocchi with rose sauce and we all agreed the sauce was flavourless. The last dish was a lamb ragu garnished with pomegranate seeds which was a little too sweet for me since I prefer savory dishes. The lamb was beautifully cooked though and the rest of the group liked it. We had some brown butter cheesecake and strawberry peach sorbet for dessert. The crust on the cheesecake was hard and difficult to cut but the filling was nice. The sorbet was actually a little too cold (think toothache inducing cold) and a little too mild in flavour. I’d go back now that I know what to order and to try some new dishes.

2 Likes

Here are some pictures:

7 Likes

The only dishes that are missing are the lamb ragu and cheesecake since I forgot to take pictures.

What’s the red smear under the alfredo? I just love ‘armchair dining’.

1 Like

@ ChristinaM

I’m sure MTT will address your question. In the mean time, I’ll butt in and offer an alt version for sausage and cabbage soup (no roux) which is very good:

4 Likes

It’s probably residual sauce from the rose sauce from the dish that preceded it. We were given one plate per course and the dishes were served family style so some of the sauces may have blended together on the plate.

2 Likes

Is that rose as the flowering plant, or rose as the pink wine? Just asking as I know both can appear in dishes.

1 Like

Rose as in the pink wine. I’m using my cell phone today and it doesn’t seem to have a bilingual keyboard.

I thought it probably would be, but rose (plant) does appear in Eastern Mediterranean cooking. My local Turkish shop stocks rose water and rose jam. The latter doesnt taste of much to me, except a generic sweet.

1 Like

Try holding down the e key/button to bring up international characters.

2 Likes

I was thinking rose sauce as in pasta rosa, a creamy sauce with a bit of tomato sauce. It looked good, too bad no flavor.

@ChristinaM - Although I’ve never made it without, I think using half (or less) of the roux should be fine. It really is just a butter/flour thickener for the soup which is pretty substantial even before the roux is added. Do be generous with the herbs (I use dried oregano in place of thyme), and be sure to taste-test and add salt as needed. I forgot to add any salt, so my half-batch last night was fine with our salty crackers, but under-seasoned when tasted on its own. I use a 14 oz package of coleslaw shredded cabbage/carrots for a half batch of soup.

1 Like

I knew there must be a work around - thanks for letting me know!

2 Likes

Thank you! Will suggest to my mother when I am back in Ottawa next…

Everything looks so good. Great variety and it sounds like there were several winners!

4 Likes

Actuals for last week after a weekend of good eating with our son and his family
Monday skinnytaste crustless spinach quiche with sausage “crust”
Tuesaday I was craving taco mac and cheese and it made a lot so
Wednesday taco mac again and leftover broccoli with cheese sauce
Thursday more pasta… Tortolini with sausage and cherry tomatoes
Friday cheese burger night
Saturday use it up pasta again with fresh pappardelle, pricey jar of sauce aka gravy with mushrooms and burger left from cheeseburger night.
This week is BOGO for chopped salads so that is the veg for 4 dinners
Sunday I put a chicken in the oven for chicken pot pie and dog gravy
I have been baking now I have an oven. Sherry bundt cake using cake mix recipe from the 60s, SK whole wheat chocolate chip cookies for me and chocolate chip cookies for DH using a store mix and margarine. His preference. And I made a cheeseball for church using a Southern Living recipe that worked with what I already had on hand.

10 Likes