Weekly Menu Planning – August 2023

Is that as unappealing as it sounds? :joy::joy:

8 Likes

YES! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

Hope they’re able and willing to help with harvest / canning / freezing. It sounds you have a lot of garden about ready to become food for winter.

5 Likes

I made the NYT mochiko chicken a few weeks ago - it was good but not great. To be fair, I did not deep-fry it (I don’t remember whether I pan-fried or baked). We liked the taste though!

1 Like

I hope they can entertain themselves some. And that “extended” doesn’t mean more than a few days, though I expect it does…

5 Likes

Hello everyone and happy Friday. I went for a lovely dinner out last Wednesday to a Southern Indian restaurant and had some fabulous food. Our meetup organizer contacted the restaurant owner in advance and arranged a tasting menu for our group. I really enjoyed tasting different dishes that I’ve never had before and the neelagiri mushroom was hands down my favourite dish. I didn’t like the king fish curry too much - I love curries but I discovered that I am not a fan of king fish. I hope to join another dinner sometime this fall. In the meantime, a couple of meetup groups I am in are starting to schedule more events then my film society starts up at the end of September. It’s nice getting out of the house. Onto my menus for this week:

Today: Take out lunch from a nearby deli. I ordered a porchetta sandwich with garlic mayo and I can attest that they did not skimp on the garlic! :slight_smile: Good thing I am working at home today! :slight_smile: Tonight I will have a Greek salad for dinner.

Saturday: Chicken cacciatore. No salad on the side since there will be a few veggies in the sauce.

Sunday: Salmon trimmings and scallops.

Monday: Stir fry and rice.

Tuesday: Chicken gyro salad inspired by Smitten Kitchen: I have some pre-made chicken skewers purchased at Costco and I will be buying tzatziki and pitas from the Persian grocery store so the only part I will make myself is the salad.

Wednesday: Hamburger casserole. I found the recipe in my recipe file but I didn’t make note of where I found it. It consists of ground beef sautéed in a skillet with zucchini, green pepper and tomato. I will have some egg noodles on the side.

Thursday: pasta with tomato, goat cheese and basil. Side veggies TBD.

Saturday afternoon will be spent shopping in Chinatown and Sunday morning I will be going on a walking tour of centretown and we will be learning a little about the architectural heritage of the area.

Have a nice week everyone.

11 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where we’re looking forward to next week, when it’s supposed to change from “dangerously hot” to “awesome” weather, according to the local paper. We’ll see…
Breakfast: Cinnamon raison bread from Joy of Cooking
Saturday, August 26: Scallops with corn
Sunday: Braised chicken, rice pilaf, grilled romaine, plum tart
Monday: Spicy pork with noodles; maybe sautéed zucchini on the side
Tuesday: Pizza and trivia
Wednesday: Black bean and veggie wraps
Thursday-Friday: TBD. We have agreed to “cater” a friend’s party with BBQ ribs and such next Saturday (they remember the ribs we made for them 5 years ago!), so we may be busy with prep…
Have a good week, everyone! Happy cooking!

12 Likes

Hi, everyone, I didn’t post last week as our vacation in Southern California was accidentally extended by a week due to my husband coming down with Covid on the day we were supposed to fly home. We holed up in a hotel for him to isolate and recuperate, and survived on underwhelming delivery food - enough said about that. We’re safely home now, and the pantry and fridge are restocked courtesy of Instacart. School starts on Weds and I’m saving my mental energy for the trip to Staples.

Feeding two adults and a teen in the Boston burbs - hooray for cooking and being home!

Tonight: penne with meat sauce, peas for them/salad for me.

SAT Garlic-lime steak noodle salad

SUN Garlic-mustard chicken skewers, baked potatoes, green beans

MON Baked feta with chickpeas and cherry tomatoes, GF focaccia

*I’m pretty sure DH will not enjoy this as a main dish, so I will make extra chicken on Sun and he can call it a side dish

TUES Nachos - DS’s chosen “night before school starts” meal

WEDS Waffled bibimbap, sort of - rice, Asian slaw, ground pork (assuming I can find pork in the freezer - I thought I had beef but could not find it when I looked today - not sure if I am misremembering or just too tired to see what’s right in front of me)

Thurs and Fri TBD…

18 Likes

oh, so sorry to hear about the covid and vacation disruption/extension! So glad you are home for recuperation on all fronts.

Maybe more take out might be in order, if that suits you.

4 Likes

Happy to hear you made it home!

Nachos rates as a celebratory meal. I would love the baked feta as a main.

3 Likes

Looks like a delicious week. Best of luck as you school shop. One popular chain-store was out of pencils! I saw a Mom and son double check their almost completed list and using her phone to locate an in-stock supply nearby.

1 Like

I am actually excited about cooking again - the closest I got last week was combining yogurt with granola. It will be a while before we want to eat restaurant food again! (Further complicating last week’s meals was that I have celiac disease and there weren’t a lot of good gluten-free options in delivery range. One night we ordered pizza from a highly recommended chain, and the GF medium cheese pizza looked a lot like the regular medium cheese pizza… I made DS taste both and confirm my guess, because neither pizza was labeled!)

3 Likes

Our San Diego neighborhood just had steady rain, but nothing bad from the tropical storm. Whew!

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: probably more chocolate chip scones. Can’t have too much chocolate to start the day.

S: (tonight) takeout - Quesadillas (shrimp, carnitas) with guacamole

Su: Mixed greens, carrots, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, ranch, TJs Santa Maria tri-tip, Fritos - salad

M: Curry with chicken and veggies, basmati rice

T: Leftover tri-tip, green chile mac and cheese.

W: TJs gorgonzola gnocchi, spinach, spiced pecans - vegetarian

Th: Crab dip and sourdough, served with fruit - seafood

F: Old school crunchy tacos

Have a good week!

12 Likes

Actuals for Aug 21 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where wild temperature swings are normal. It’s 56 F. this morning, but was 99 F. Tuesday. Soup and salad weather, just on separate days.

Mon: Salmon, Zucchini farro haloumi side
Tues - Breakfast - experimenting with batch cooking/freezing breakfasts Breakfast burrito rollups - and decided we like this egg/potato casserole better without the tortilla wrap. Dinner - Chopped 3-greens salad with turkey & pepperoni, hb egg, peas, tomatoes, black olives, cheese, croutons. Toasted rolls on the side.
Wed : carryout Pizza Hut pizza – husband’s birthday dinner choice
Thu: a family favorite - Liver & mushrooms in white wine sauce, over rice, broccoli. Dessert - Microwave vanilla pudding w/ lemon mini-Bundt cake
Fri: Last of the Liver & mushrooms with rice and also skillet Greek-seasoned Chicken breast, with broccoli
Sat: Breakfast for dinner - Baked Egg & salsa assembled with cheddar cheese/ham on English Muffin (more batch breakfast experimenting, froze the other breakfast sandwiches from batch for quick breakfasts or lunches)
Sun (today): Garlic-marinade sirloin (grocery meat dept), sweet potato, salad. Supper - Soup

11 Likes

Tonight’s Corn Zucchini Tomato soup will be a recipe CH’er @LindaWhit posted in 2013 - An excellent use of summer’s bounty.

Corn, Tomato & Zucchini Soup

1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 to 1/2 large red or yellow bell pepper, de-veined and seeded, roughly chopped
2 cups chopped zucchini and/or yellow squash
1 or 2 carrots (depending on their size), peeled and thinly sliced into carrot pennies
1 large tomato, cored and seeded, rough-chopped (OR you can use cherry tomatoes - maybe 8-10 cut in half - Easier to use and less juicy/messy)
1 qt. (32 oz., 4 C.) chicken stock
1 tsp. dried thyme (I use oregano)
salt and pepper to taste
2 ears of corn, kernels removed (or about 1-1/2 cups of frozen corn)
1/2 cup orzo (or other small pasta)
Parmesan cheese, optional

In a 4-qt. stockpot, add some olive or canola oil and heat on medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and bell pepper and sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, just until onions are beginning to get translucent. Add zucchini/squash, carrots, and tomatoes; continue to stir occasionally, cooking for a few more minutes.
Add chicken stock to pot, along with dried thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil, then add corn and orzo.
Turn heat to simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes until orzo is done.

Sprinkle in some grated Parmesan cheese, if you want, OR add it to the top of the soup in your bowl.
LindaWhit 8/31/2013

11 Likes

What?? Almost September? Already?? When your plan is more for September than August, the new discussion is here Weekly Menu Planning – September 2023

6 Likes

Cooking in a very no- frills kitchen this week, with a big bag of FM baby Red Russian kale to use up.

Su: bibimbap

M: beef chow mein from RecipeTin Eats

Tu: NYT one-pot spaghetti with cherry tomatoes and kale

W: kimchi fried rice from RecipeTin Eats

Th and F: probably takeout unless I make it to the FM and something catches my eye.

11 Likes

Gosh I would happily your whole week without a single change!

6 Likes

Now there’s a step into the Wayback Machine! Had forgotten about this soup!

4 Likes

Gretchen’s mention of bibimbap on her menu is prompting me to report on my waffled bibimbap - which I made last night since the Asian slaw was “best by” yesterday (thanks, Instacart shopper…). I had tried layering rice, meat, vegs, rice in the waffler, but it was too tall and I couldn’t press the waffler closed. Today I waffled the cold leftover rice - pressed about 1/3 C into a patty, then put it in the space for a waffle, repeat 3 more times. The rice eventually crisped up (probably 10-12 min) and DS was very happy with his plain rice-waffle. I have two waffles left, and meat/vegs for those.

5 Likes