Weekly Menu Planning April 2023

Actuals for April 10 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where we had a couple of days of summer this week - temps above 85 F - and are expecting 3 inches of snow on Sunday. Hopefully that won’t delay our noon vacation flight to Florida. We’ll be staying in hotels, including a 5 day stretch in one with a full kitchen, so some cooking might occur. But we’re also very much looking forward to again visiting friends who relocated there 9 years ago, and enjoying restaurant meals in the area - Everglades, Naples, Fort Meyers.

Mon: Noon - Easter repeat -Reheat ham, sweet potato, asparagus w hollandaise. Devilled eggs, ripe olives. Lemon pie. Dinner -Salmon w beet & farro side. Spinach/lettuce salads.
Side modified from this NYT recipe to use canned beets and dried herbs. Great dressing but I use much less olive oil (only 3 T) and walnut oil (only 1 T). https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014478-skillet-beet-and-farro-salad
Tues: BAKED blueberry coffee cake Dinner - Crispy Fish strips, beet & farro side, fruit cups and cottage cheese
Wed: Mexican turkey meatball soup, tortilla chips, red grapes
What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023 - #261 by MidwesternerTT
Thus: Pork chops, sweet potato, asparagus
also prepped and baked Vegetable lasagna for two (actually 4-6 servings), using rotini pasta. From cookbook “No-Fuss Diabetes Recipes For 1 or 2” by Jackie Boucher. Like most casseroles, this one is better next-day, so I like to make/bake ahead.
Fri: Noon- reheated Turkey meatball soup, tortilla chips, salad. Dinner - reheated Veggie Lasagna, with side of warmed mock-crab/surimi. Garlic-buttered baguette. Salad. Red Grapes,
Sat: Noon - reheated Pork chop, sweet potato, asparagus, kiwi fruit. Dinner: reheated Veggie Lasagna, with side of warmed mock-crab/surimi. Garlic-buttered baguette. Salad. Red Grapes, Dessert - chocolate pie
Sun: OUT

13 Likes

Still so tired. Strategic use of leftovers plus Trader Joe’s convenience will get me through the week. fingers crossed

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Chocolate chip scones

S:(tonight) takeout - chile colorado burritos with guacamole

Su: Chicken thighs with dijon cream sauce, shallots, peas over mashed potatoes

M: SK’s Zucchini ricotta galette (using purchased puff pastry) with salad - vegetarian

T: TJ’s beef tamales with beans and guacamole

W: Soup inspired by https://www.savingdessert.com/lasagna-soup/

Th: TJ’s lobster ravioli with garlicky spinach - seafood

F: Potato soup with ham and spinach, made from au gratin potatoes and leftovers from fridge

Have a good week!

16 Likes

Delicious looking week. I hope your energy returns soon, @dustchick! If not, a test of thyroid function by your doctor may be helpful.

2 Likes

Hello from outside of Boston, where after a couple of days of 80-90F weather, we’ve returned to partly cloudy and in the 60s. This is our school vacation week. We’ve no plans to go anywhere, so I am going to try to do some cooking projects from and/or inspired by Le Bernardin. I’ve got the cookbook, which I’ve been meaning to cook more from. I also follow them on Twitter, so I drool over the pictures from the current menu. Here are the plans for 2 adults and 1 small cat for this week:

Sunday (4/16) - Beef Pot au Feu (from the cookbook). We’ll have half the beef tonight and the rest later in the week. Likewise, not all the broth will get used tonight.

Monday (4/17) - Monkfish with spiced pot au feu broth and poached vegetables (inspired by a red snapper recipe in the cookbook, as well as an offering on the current menu).

Tuesday (4/18) - Country beef salad (from the cookbook)

Wednesday (4/19) - Salmon, in theory with pea shoots, otherwise it’ll be snow peas, with razor clams (inspired by a recipe in Avec Eric and also last April’s menu).

Thursday (4/20) - Kampachi, two ways - a crudo with sauce vierge, as well as grilled, with maitake mushrooms and bone marrow red wine sauce (inspired by the current menu).

Friday (4/21) - probably delivery!

Saturday (4/22) - TBD

13 Likes

I’ve had this same question.

What a fun cooking project, even better eating project.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to this immensely! I’ve got the pot au feu going right now and the house smells fantastic!

2 Likes

Hope you had an easy flight and are happily sipping a cold adult beverage!

5 Likes

Hi, everyone. Coming up on a short week here!

Yesterday was DS’s second soccer game of the season, and his team played so well! They were well matched and ended up with a 0-0 tie. However, the highlights of the away game were the all about the location - the field was behind what used to be an insane asylum and is now just a horrifyingly sketchy abandoned building. The property behind the asylum seems to be residential and the owners have chickens, so every few minutes we heard a very loud rooster crow. It was very entertaining! We went to dinner at a nearby restaurant that had an excellent menu and a GF fryer so I enjoyed my onion rings.

Sun: DH and DS went to see the Super Mario Bros movie this afternoon. Just after they left, DS’s friends started organizing a trip to see it tonight. So yeah, DS saw the same movie at the same theater twice in one day. :woman_shrugging: I made the Indian chicken meatballs from NYT and DH could barely choke them down; I thought they were just so-so.

Mon: we are going to our friends’ house to spectate the Boston Marathon. We live just past the halfway point so the runners still seem happy when they go by. We’re taking black bean salad and (boxed mix) brownies. Dinner: mahi, roasted potatoes (maybe with harissa yogurt?), asparagus

Tues: chicken/corn/cotija thing from How To Cook Everything Fast, black beans because I cooked too many today.

Weds: DS is making nachos for dinner (school vacation week…)

Thurs-Sat: I’m taking DS to New York for a few days! We will see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Thursday, and Wicked on Friday. Dinner Friday will be at a gluten-free Italian restaurant, https://senzaglutennyc.com . I also plan to go to Modern Bagels and whatever pizza place(s) DS picks out. Oh, and the Nintendo store…

Have a great week, everyone!

15 Likes

What do you think of their editorial suggestion to replace some oil with buttermilk?

And speaking from personal experience, iron level testing can be insightful.

2 Likes

Yeah, there is a regular bloodwork panel coming up soon. Whee! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah. That’ll likely be checked soon. Of course, administrators pulling their weight would also help with my fatigue. :joy:

5 Likes

Casa Harters is about to descend into chaos. We’re having the kitchen totally refurbished - new cupboard doors & trims, worktops, appliances, decoration, etc. The guys arrive Monday and are expected to take 3 - 4 days. In advance, we need to empty all the cupboards and find somewhere round the house to store the contents (I think a lot will end up in the car boots).

So, only two days to plan. For Friday, I see lamb chops and Saturday a pork roast. Then till they’ve finished, we’re eating out or getting takeaway. So, Sunday we’re going to our favourite Mumbai street food restaurant where they are having one of their “regions of India” tasting menu evenings - this one, dishes from Maharashtra (which is Mumbai’s province but, interestingly, none of the dishes are on the restaurant’s normal menu).

15 Likes

Good luck! Fingers crossed for speedy work!

5 Likes

Sunday
Leg of lamb, spanakopita, roast potatoes, roast carrots, parsnips, baked molasses beans from a cab, corn on the cob, Greek Easter bread, purchased individual strawberry mousse cakes

Monday
Leftover leg of lamb, spicy Kraft Mac & Cheese, asparagus, Bush’s original baked beans with bacon from a can

Tuesday
Leftover lamb (hahaha), shrimp with tomatoes and feta (shrimp Saganaki / Santorini-style shrimp / Rhodes-style shrimp), asparagus, orzo or stelline

Wed: Take-out pizza and wings

Thu: roast chicken

Fri: halibut

13 Likes

Gorged on cheese this morning and at lunch, so decided against pizza tonight.

Making lecso,

home-made shake & bake-type baked chicken thighs tonight, and Rancho Gordo Christmas Lima beans. Not sure how I’ll prepare the beans that are cooking right now.

Maybe I’ll order pizza tomorrow night. https://tastehungary.com/journal/lecso-a-recipe-for-the-last-summer-days/

3 Likes

Thanks for the warning about those meatballs. They sounded appealing.

Yay to DS’s soccer team (and the rooster).

4 Likes

I love this idea whenever I see it, and yet have never made it myself. Inspiration to try!

2 Likes

Love this. Will be following closely on WFD!

2 Likes