Weekly Menu Planning - April 2022

LLD introduced me to Montreal bagels and I prefer them too.

6 Likes

Love Kettleman’s bagels! I get them from Farm Boy. I lived in Montreal for five years and will forever be a Montreal bagel devotee! (Fairmount > St. Viateur)

5 Likes

Hello to everyone from the blustery and cold and rain/snow mix in the Twin Cities of MN. Everything just feels cold and damp- and with all the extra skating practices this month cold has become the new normal. Mr Autumm is back from Texas (hooray!) and we have been powering through some late evenings with extra rehearsals but we have the schedule for the Skate Show (out of 15 routines in the 2nd half we are in 4 between the 2 girls- not sure how we are going to manage quick costume change without taking big kiddo’s skates off) We have all the dresses/costumes now and not too bad overall. The synchro dress screams “bridal” and jokes about everyone having hot chocolate before the performance has not gone over well with the skating director.

Anyways, actuals and plans for 2 adults and 2 skating girls:

Fri 1: Little kiddo skated. Take out pizza. Mr Autumm got home at 11 PM and kinda just collapsed into bed

Sat 2: Big kiddo morning skate- I never take her but I was feeling charitable. Also fun to see her morning classes and catch up with some skate parents I haven’t seen in forever. Leftover white chicken chili for dinner- was planned for Friday but oh well

Sun 3: Lazy mommy’s fish tacos

Mon 4: Big kiddo skated late after dinner- the chicken planned did not defrost in time so breakfast for dinner, bacon, scrambled eggs and gnocchi in brown butter in place of hash browns. Assorted crudités

Tues 5: Eating in shifts due to all the rehearsals! Red sauce from freezer over noodles. Big kiddo had some soup in a thermos between practices

Weds 6: Big kiddo skated due to lesson switch. Black bean chicken chili in the crock pot- basically the white chicken chili from Tase of home made with black beans instead and I subbed out red salsa for the green chiles. It was nice and warm and good but we like the white bean version a bit better

Thurs 7: Tonight! I should really do a freezer dive- this cold blustery weather is not good for my motivation and I did not do a grocery run so we are low on supplies

Fri 8: Little kiddo skates. Fancy cheese night vs leftover chili

Sat 9/sun 10: Hopefully it’s dry so we can take down the Christmas lights outside. I would love to grill if the weather stays nice as advertised. Possibly takeout

Take care everyone!

I posted this over on the March board but thought I would try to move it to April Still getting the hang of the new to me format

17 Likes

I still remember a middle school dance recital where our costumes were white leotards with long white fringe and gold sequins, and fringed elbow-length white gloves… my mom, grandma, and aunts enjoyed debating whether this was bridal, cowboy, or stripper. (They didn’t think I could hear them!)

9 Likes

I knew it was a matter of time someone would mention Fairmont vs. St. Viateur :wink: They are both good! Costco was selling Kettleman’s bagels for awhile and I think they still had some in stock when I was there a month ago. I love how they carry some local products.

5 Likes

Lulu is a champion debater; I’ll say I could see that talent emerging (say, not know!). Glad it turned out well for her and for you with Lulu away, and that you were safe at home during Duke vs. Carolina and Carolina vs. Kansas. Having grown up in NC, I understand somewhat. If I were in your town, I’d want to stay away from Franklin St on game nights.

I’m so glad you are getting to used to HO and it’s great to see you here. Even though I don’t post about my WMP, I love hearing about what people who do plan are planning and seeing CH friends here.

Also good you got the shingles shot. I was glad to cross that one off, having vivid memories of my bout with chicken pox before the vaccine was available.

4 Likes

Oh yeah! Another cake for breakfast person and another recipe to add to my Snacking Cakes “make this” list. I should just bookmark every page. :grinning:

7 Likes

Oh no Sally! I’ve got so many friends with it right now. Hope that you feel better soon!!

6 Likes

They have opened some Kettleman’s in Toronto, which made me very happy!!

3 Likes

Or some combination …

3 Likes

I’m with LLM on going for some combination! Some similarity with the bridesmaid dresses my former sister-in-law selected for my brother’s first wedding in 1982.

3 Likes

Happy Friday everyone! After having glorious spring like weather the temperature went down yesterday and it snowed overnight. I am NOT impressed. We only got enough snow to cover the grass and it has melted now but I want warm sunny weather. I am done with winter. I did a big grocery shop last Sunday so I plan on taking in some fun activities this weekend. My menu for this week looks like this:

Today: take-out lunch today is a glass noodle salad from the Korean grocery store. They have some take away dishes in the refrigerator at the back of the store and I am having fun trying their offerings. I’ve had the glass noodle salad before and I like it so much it calls for a repeat. Greek salad for dinner.

Saturday: afternoon matinee of Rigoletto. I will be passing through the Byward Market on the way home so I will probably pick up takeout on my way home. Both European Delis sell prepared meals now as does the Italian grocery store so I will decide at the last minute what I feel like.

Sunday: off to an art gallery visit. We have three of them downtown and right now I am leaning towards seeing the Canadian Impressionism exhibition at the National Gallery. Greek salad with salmon for dinner,

Monday: open faced sandwich with carmelized onions and mushroooms served au gratin. Garden salad on the side.

Tuesday: repeat of last week’s chicken in black bean sauce and Asian slaw.

Wednesday: pork lo mein.

Thursday: fettucine al pesto, garden salad.

Lunches this week will alternate between tabouli and potato salad.

18 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where I really want to get off the spring weather see-saw only to remember what summer is like here…Assume salad with everything since we received a big produce box yesterday.
Saturday, April 9: Busy day of lunch with DD in Atlanta (after she and DH vote at the embassy) and dinner at a friend’s house back in Chattanooga (need to make that cake tonight!)
Sunday: Tangerine sweet and sour chicken (back issue of BA); rice
Monday: Turmeric shrimp with shallots (Milk Street); more rice
Tuesday: scrounge
Wednesday: It would probably be prudent to scrounge given our leftover situation, but I may put it all in the freezer and make tortilla soup (Simply Recipes).
Thursday: scrounge
Friday: Pasta with vodka cream sauce (Cook’s country)

Have a good week, everyone! Happy cooking!

14 Likes

Cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore

Friday: turkey-ricotta meatballs (https://foodschmooze.org/recipe/julia-turshens-turkey-ricotta-meatballs/) in homemade red sauce with linguine and garlic bread
Saturday: Skinnytaste’s blackened cod with key lime tartar sauce (https://www.skinnytaste.com/blackened-fish-with-key-lime-tartar/) , broccoli parmesan fritters from Smitten Kitchen (https://smittenkitchen.com/2012/06/broccoli-parmesan-fritters/)
Sunday: leftover meatballs over zoodles, garlic bread
Monday: Skinnytaste’s blackened shrimp and cheesy grits (https://www.skinnytaste.com/blackened-shrimp-and-grits/), leftover broccoli parmesan fritters
Tuesday: leftover Creamy Tomato Bisque from the freezer (https://www.today.com/recipes/ina-garten-s-creamy-tomato-bisque-recipe-t193306)
Wednesday: vegetable lasagna rolls from the freezer
Thursday: vegetable lasagna rolls

16 Likes

LOL! I would call that all of the above!

The synchro dress is ivory lace halter neck with a white underlay with a sweetheart neckline. The synchro dresses are always some version of white as there is part of the routine done with the black lights only - how retro is our rink?

The skating director said this was the hardest time she ever has had with ordering costumes as she couldn’t find ones they liked/age appropriate with the sizes they needed.

5 Likes

Cooking for two adults in the mountains of southwest Virginia where the ground is white with snow again. We have had more snow in April than we had in all of winter and I am officially sick of it. But supposed to be 75 on Tuesday,
Saturday- country ham, fried potatoes, greens, and black eyed peas, Will also make Sunday’s lasagna and a pot of minestrone soup for lunch next week and to freeze some
Sunday-lasagna, rolls, salad
Monday-sheet pan chicken and steak fajitas
Tuesday- hamburgers on the grill for husband and Angus probably chicken fajita in salad for me
Wednesday-leftover lasagna
Thursday-leftover ham with eggs for husband- I will scrounge for something
Friday- I have the day off ! The possibilities are endless LOL Big grocery day for shopping for Easter dinner.
I really enjoy reading about everyone’s plans.

15 Likes

This is looking out the back door this morning

5 Likes

The snow looks very pretty but I agree with you I’m sick of it. Hopefully next Tuesday’s warm weather will melt it all.

2 Likes

Got our second boosters, in preparation for our first travel in two years coming up in a few weeks. Just a few days, work-related for my husband, but we have not been unmasked indoors with other people, like in a hotel overnight, or done any indoor dining since March 2020. Trying to work up my courage by being as prepared as possible

For two adults in San Diego: Most likely chocolate chip scones, but maybe this: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/carrot-cake-loaf/

This week’s breakfasts:

S: (tonight) takeout
Su: Roast chicken, cabbage and noodles (inspired by https://www.budgetbytes.com/fried-cabbage-and-noodles/), and TJs carrot coins, which my husband picked up on a whim.
M: Shrimp (garlic butter, onions, peppers, Penzey’s Arizona Dreaming) and grits - seafood
T: Orange chicken with veggies and rice
W: Pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw
Th: Red sauce pasta - vegetarian
F: Perhaps pulled pork tacos using leftovers from earlier in the week?

Have a good week!

17 Likes

@MonicaMadeIt Happy Birthday!

2 Likes