Weekly Meal Planning 3/2019 - The Vernal Equinox Edition

Let’s talk about some astronomy. An equinox is when the plane of earth’s equator passes through the center of the sun. This occurs twice each year: around 20 March and 23 September. It is the moment at which the center of the visible sun is directly above the equator. In the northern hemisphere, the equinox in March is called the vernal or spring equinox; the September equinox is called the autumnal or fall equinox. :smiley:

I’m running out of ideas for a March related theme, so wikipedia it goes!

Happy planning and great meals, everybody!

2 Likes

This week:

Main

• Conger eel dish (husband saw in shop and bought this on impulse, need to find recipe for this…)
  • Pork chop with coffee, recipe from Marc Veyrat
  • Guniea hen (recipe to be decided)
  • Mussel dish (recipe to be decided)
  • A chicken dish with thighs, (recipe to be decided, probably Chinese)
  • Bibimbap

Side dishes

• beetroot, goat cheese salad
  • brussel sprouts (roasted?)
  • butternut raviolis
  • guacamole

Baking (if time permits)

• Chocolate and chestnut cake
  • Chocolate croissant
2 Likes

Thanks @naf - nice description :smile:

End of last week through what’s planned for this week.

Thurs - Hainanese Chicken and Rice

Fri - Carrot and Coconut Soup

Sat - King oyster mushrooms with tare sauce over rice.

Sun - Kefta (Paula Wolfert) with naan, warm gigantes bean salad, and pickled tomatoes and onions.

Mon - Tom Kha Gai with the chicken and broth from the Hainanese chicken.

Tues - TBD - plan was for Shepherds pie from the rest of the package of ground beef used for Kefta, but it was too gristly so back to either the store or the drawing board.

Wed - Likely out.

Thurs - Ragda with roasted sweet potato chunks instead of potato patties, and roasted broccoli.

Fri - Treats from a visit to some middle eastern stores in Brooklyn with a friend (ingredient recommendations welcome - I’m making a list!)

Sat-Sun- TBD

My DH is fasting (just taking protein shakes and broth), so the toddler and I are on our own and will have to make our way carefully through the groceries to avoid too many leftovers. I overbought a bit.

The meals I have in mind this week are, in no particular order:

Roasted salmon and butternut squash, mixed greens with LindaWhit’s maple balsamic dressing

Cheesesteak sloppy joes on fluffy yeast rolls, green beans

“Taco” lentil burritos in ww wraps with cheese, sour cream, and salsa

Ramen with chicken (and baby bok choy if I get to the Asian market)

Cuban cauli rice bowls with kahlua pork (from freezer) and black beans

Braised lima beans served Turkish style with chilies and yogurt

I’ll probably only get through 1/3 of these to be honest…DH is also going out of town for 3 days, and I tend to keep meals very simple while solo parenting.

1 Like

Short week for me with travel to visit family coming up, so I’m trying to use up the fresh produce I’ve been delinquent about.

Sun - Eating as much produce as I can on its own while doing laundry and watching movies. Roasted mistake mushrooms, crispy (microwave) okra, maybe some leftovers (chorizo patties with an egg?)

Mon - Stir-fry with baby bok choy and fresh shiitake mushrooms.

Tues - Out (tbd) with friend is visiting from out of town.

Wed - Fridge clean-out and organizing/freezing before my trip; dinner will be the leftovers I can’t freeze.

Thurs - Travel day.

Fri - Pizza Friday, unless the kids want something else cooked by this aunt.

Sat - Kid bday party, so whatever junk food is catered for that, and maybe some healthier snacks at home after.

Sun - Likely South Indian - idli, dosa, possibly medu-waffles. I might make veg coconut curry soup in lieu of sambhar.

Ha!

Indeed! Maitake are never a mistake!

3 Likes

New discussion here: Weekly Meal Planning - April & May 2019 - The spring has sprung edition