Wednesday lunch in Portland Maine

Hi - I’d love lunch recs for this Wednesday in Portland. I do an annual sojourn to pick up my daughter at camp in northern Maine. I’m staying in Camden and having dinner at Franny’s. Last year I had an amazing lunch at the East ender but I don’t think they are open for lunch anymore. Honeypaw is closed on Wednesdays. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

(Also, super bummed and surprised that all these places aren’t open for lunch/midweek during the high season!)

3 Likes

Anyone???

Central provisions. Excellent small plates

3 Likes

Eventide is doing lunch 7 days a week. We’ve had several excellent meals there, but have not been in the last year or so.

https://www.eventideoysterco.com/portland

2 Likes

Hi there, @sallyt! I too would have wanted to go to East Ender if that were an option.

So though I haven’t yet been to these next two spots, these are places I really want to check out (outdoor seating is important to me). Terlingua on Washington Avenue. Looks like they take reservations as well as walk ins.

Another spot on my want-to-go list is Mai Pen Miyake, Masa Miyake’s more casual spot up on State Street. A few outdoor tables and all seating is walk-in. We’ve loved going to his sister restaurant Miyake for fabulous sushi and Japanese cuisine over the years, but that restaurant has been on hiatus with plans to reopen this fall.

I would’ve also put Cong Tu Bot on Washington Ave. among my want-to-gos but they’re closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Not going to work for your schedule.

For even more, I remembered this thread on thread from earlier this year about additional Portland lunch spots.

1 Like

@tomatotomato - we loved Ter Lingua! Their lunch options are kind of limited so I might skip it since I was just there in late June. I’ll check out Mai Pen Miyake, thank you!

Thanks for the other suggestions - I just went to Central Provisions in May and we eat Eventide pretty frequently, compared to other Maine restaurants…

In other Portland news, Leeward is SO booked that I can’t get a reservation for August! I was one day late (they open reservations 30 days ahead of time).

2 Likes

Thanks for the thumbs up on Terlingua! Every time we get up to Maine we run out of time to try places new to us. Choices are a good “problem” to have, yes?

1 Like

Just mentioning this again:

3 Likes

heh, Tomato beat me to it :grin:

3 Likes

@sallyt Wish I could help. The last time we ate in Portland, we did Bissell Brothers but I don’t think that’s quite what you are looking for. We find ourselves not eating in Portland on our recent Maine sojourns because the bounty of choices tends to paralyze us.

On a somewhat (un)related note, B and I may play hooky on Wednesday while Spring Onion is in all-day art camp and go to Anju, a favorite of ours. But only if pesky work lets us.

3 Likes

Jealous!

@sallyt My hijacking was a thinly-veiled attempt at suggesting a non-Portland option. And maybe I would run into you at Anju if we have our Hungry Onion t-shirts on. :grin:

2 Likes

@digga - that looks SO GOOD!!! Kittery is too far south for me - dropping kids off at Tufts camp by 9 am so timing works for an early lunch in Portland. Have the best time!

1 Like

Did you see these older threads @sallyt (in addition to the one @tomatotomato posted from this year) –

3 Likes

Hey there, @sallyt! Just noticed that East Ender now appears to be open for lunch according to their website.

I had been just about to comment that my 2021 threads that @Saregama so kindly references above are out of date. I originally offered the 2021 info so I feel responsible. This season I’m observing that restaurants appear to be adjusting hours and offerings more frequently, in response to staffing (plus supply chain and food costs in some cases I expect).

3 Likes

Thanks Denise! When I was in Portland in May, it was such a disappointment that the city shut down most of the outdoor space on Middle St. Apparently the ratio of diners/bathrooms wasn’t sufficient :frowning:

1 Like

Oops, I don’t know about the outdoor space there currently?

Was in Portland in May too and noticed the overall reduction in outdoor seating. :worried: At that time East Ender didn’t open until late afternoon so we didn’t even consider it/drive by for our lunch back then.

Changes, changes.

2 Likes

We had lunch at Honey paw so there was just their old outdoor seating. It’s such a disappointment for the businesses and it was also such a festive and wonderful atmosphere last summer

1 Like

It may not be exactly what you’re going for, but we often do a take-out lunch from Blue Rooster Food Company. I love their sandwiches (any of which can be made in a salad version) and tater tots! Picnic up on the promenade, then hit a gelato truck for dessert.

I would kill for their Charlie Noble sandwich right now…

7 Likes

I ended up at the East Ender - such fantastic food!! Got this grilled salad. Also got gelato from Gelato Fiasco and on my way up the coast, stopped at Treats in Wiscasset
& Bleecker and Greer in Rockport.

8 Likes