We love Cheese!

Affineur Dutch black betty gouda and Roldolphe Meunier 15 mo comte. Both pretty good.

1 Like

Aged goat’s cheese/Gouda is great and I won’t eat anything “Gouda” that isn’t. Found Betty Koster’s twitter site. They have some French cheeses (as seen on their site). Unfortunately, they are nowhere near me and they don’t ship.

I tried to check on Rodolphe Meunier, he got the title of Best Cheesemonger in France. I’m jealous of you, cannot find his cheese easily in Paris (except in a cafĂ©).

But then 48 euro/kg for 15 months
hmmm

Unfortunately around 50 euro / kg for better cheese is pretty much the going price at the better cheesemongers around here. How much is it around Paris for similar stuff?

Yeah, isn’t in infuriating when Americans have better access to European things than we do?! :astonished:

I bought it in a food expo, so it’s direct from the producer, for 47euro / kg we could have the 36 mo comtĂ©

Yes, many times, better food are for export especially in poorer countries. In Vietnam, we saw the fisherman kept the biggest fish to sell them in the Chinese.

I read a bit more, that French guy set up a US company, that’s the reason. Usually, it’s not often the case here though, they kept the best here.

How do you like Meunier’s other cheese? I mean I enjoyed his 15 mo comte. Though I don’t know that specific comte is the best in France.

No idea, we have no access of his cheese in Paris, only you people living in US or certain part of France do.

But the title of Meilleur Ouvrier de France - Best cheesemonger is difficult to obtain, and thus a quality assurance.

If the Chinese gets into cheese one day, this stuff is going there instead LOL.

So what does one need to do to get that title?

I saw a program, they aren’t very interested yet. But when this day will come, like the other day with Klyeoh’s KL restaurant Enfin review, the Chinese will make their cheese locally.

And for people don’t know cheese very well, the French sell them Camembert and Roquefort.

But maybe we get to keep your cheese after all. Since I read somewhere adult lactose intolerance is more common in Asia than in North America.

Fuuuaarrrrkk! OMG. Noooo! :sob:

It’s been happening with French wines and high-end cars.

Most cheeses don’t contain lactose. Lactose is converted to lactic acid during the process of cheese making.

I think it’s happening to truffe too.

The problem of cheese is many producers in France, when this generation goes to retirement, many varieties will be extinct. Not much younger people have interest in staying in mountain to make cheese, little income and too hard work.

Enjoy while you still can!

1 Like

You never know. Not specific to cheese, but when the artisan food movement started in the US, lots of young hippies got into it. Idealistic farmers, bakers, etc. But of course it comes with the eventual realization that, like you said, its hard work for little money.

All the more reason for enjoying French cheese whenever possible!

Germany has THE BEST sourdough breads in all of the world and there have been stories about bakeries making shortcuts and not baking breads the old-fashioned way anymore because it’s too time consuming, and also, people these days just don’t care/appreciate it anyway. An old baker in southern Germany makes a glass wall in his bakery so people could see the kind of work it takes to bake breads. Also wants to make people think and young people to get into the profession.

When in Germany, the partner and I always marvel at the bread when we sit down to eat. We look at it and eat it with such adoration.

1 Like

For MOF fromager, you need:

• a selection phase consisting of practical and theoretical tests: professional know-how, cheese technology, management of a budget for the development of a service, cheese culture and knowledge of terroirs, organoleptic knowledge ), Knowledge of dairy products, Protected designations of origin dairy, ripening and winery, legislation relating to cheeses and dairy products.
  • then a presentation on a unique theme, previously communicated by the national jury, which will allow the candidates to carry out, in the presence of a jury, a “remarkable” work. In 2007, the theme was “The Milky Way”.

The evaluation takes place on the dexterity during the production of the work, the quality of the products brought to realize it, the artistic interest of it and the answers provided during the complementary tests.

translated from this site

The winner of the contest will be entitled with a uniform with a collar of French flag Blue-White-Red, and the award ceremony will be held in ElysĂ©e palace by the president. It’s a distinction for artisan, craftsmanship, like wine maker, chefs, bakers, art restoration etc.

1 Like

Who is that?

I think fewer people know how good food taste like, because more and more are just mass produced mediocre stuff and people have much fewer chance to taste food that is lovingly made. Fewer people then appreciate the artisan food and wonder why it costs more.

I can go on and on about similar situation for other things other than food. But that’s for another forum.

1 Like