Water machine

Location suppposedly miami.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzJnjCzWkAAQ7zd?format=jpg&name=large

You know, I’d be inclined to use this if I was at the beach or park on a hot day especially if it is unlimited for the day. I’d rather refill my bottle than purchase a throw away bottle of water.

2 Likes

I agree. I could totally see there being demand at parks, theme parks, zoos, festivals, concerts, etc…

2 Likes

I’ve seen a similar set-up (free) at airports. I love them - so much easier to fill my water bottle after going through security than trying to do so at the water fountain!

2 Likes

Wow - I am so against this it is hard for me to think straight to reply . . . . .

Everyone should have access to free, potable water. Creating “pay” drinking fountains is wrong on every level.

That is about all I can get out without rambling on and on about this . . . . talk to people (still today) in Flint Michigan . . . talk to medical professionals . . . talk to any of the international groups who struggle to bring potable water to people in remote areas . . .

I just have to stop. This is wrong.

4 Likes

I didn’t realize until I read your reply that the water cost money. In which case I, like you, am violently opposed. I see lots of “hydration stations” in institutional settings (hospitals, schools), but those are free!

1 Like

In Paris, they are free in park and some public squares, a few of those fountains are l’eau de source (similar to underground mineral water that is fit for drinking). A locavore baker goes daily to fetch the water from the fountain to make his artisanal bread.

thankfully they are only in Miami and a school in Dayton OH - I hope they quickly go away

blood still boiling over this. . . . .

1 Like

Wow…I wonder if someone could come up with a free water machine. You know like something you can just walk up to, push a button and get all the free water you want. I would call it a: “Water Fountain” to give it a fancier name.

You know there is a water fountain in the hallway of my office, I’ve been in this office for 6 years and I have never witnessed anyone even take a sip out of it. While I understand the common mouthpiece is a major “ewwwwww” factor, but still free water has been a thing forever. Now we are paying for it? lol

These don’t replace free drinking fountains. The idea is to buy cold filtered water in a reusable bottle for less cost and less environmental impact instead of buying a bottle of water at the store.

1 Like

I can appreciate that, however when I checked out the machine I can’t find anything that says: “filtered - pure - spring - natural - etc. etc” if I missed it please point it out. By reading the machine as posted this looks like nothing more than a “fancy water fountain”, dispensing tap water.

Ultra Purified!! Ice Cold!!

That’s not on the machine!!! (and do you want to give me the legal definition of “ultra-purified”?

They say it is ultra purified and ice cold. Sounds like it costs 50-75 cents in Israel which is where is originated. I like that it can help reduce plastic bottle waste from those that just have to have filtered water but hate if it eliminated drinking fountains.

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing. I prefer my “raw” water. Chumps can buy it from these guys:

You know, like more than “very-purified”.

1 Like

Me: There’s a water fountain right there. Just fill up your bottle.
My Friend: “But it’s not cold. I really just want something cold. It’s so hot out!”

I have been with people who carry refillable water bottles but occasionally purchase water from the store because it’s cold. Maybe they’d visit this machine. I think it’s a good idea at a crowded public beach. People wouldn’t need to bring an ice chest full of plastic bottles to last the whole day.

Potable water should be free but 24 hour refrigeration is going to cost money so if you want it, someone’s gonna have to pay for it.

4 Likes

I am on the side of absolutely horrified. Just more corporate water and this method saves them $ on bottles.

I think it’s more public water, corporately labeled.

2 Likes

I’m going to keep reading but stay out of this conversation - this company is just so wrong to me. But of course I can’t not say one more thing LOL - the sickness of the internet . . . .

I don’t know anything about this business model - so this is what I’m assuming and reacting to . . . other than the fact that access to fresh potable water should be free and a given.

I assume this “machine” is just plugged into public city water lines. It appears they do a secondary ozone filtration on the water - water that should already be free of the compounds that O3 would oxidize/remove - because we have paid for and entrusted our public utilities to do that. It does say “chilled”, curious about that - so where/how is it getting it’s power (many of us will likely remember that older water fountains had compressors in them already - though often this isn’t the case anymore - though ground water is already often colder than “room temp” water, even in FL - though maybe not as big a difference as what I can get out of the tap here in Boston in the winter!).

I’m assuming there is a contract in place with the city of Miami if they are tapping into “new” public water taps - are are these “replacing” existing water fountains but now the company will maintain those instead of the city. How will their presence impact the city’s expectations of providing access to public water? What is the kick-back to the city? Is the city now profiting from “public water access”? What clauses do the contracts have about public water access around these machines?

I don’t trust this business model at all. It all seems nefarious to me.

If - HUGE IF - these machines provided access to public water for free (a la water fountain) OR you could pay for a second filtration and chilling . . . then MAYBE my blood wouldn’t be boiling. But that isn’t what these are doing.