Walking shoes and running shoes you love

They’re not the most stylish, but maybe try some compression socks.

Oh, I wear them all the time. :cry: some have cat decorations on them. What else can you do??

Birkenstock EVA, Crocs, or my beloved Hoka flips.

It makes all the difference

1 Like

Chef’s padded floor mats in addition to comfortable shoes? Before I retired, I was on my feet for almost an entire shift. First week out, I bought a padded chef’s mat for my station. Then, others caught on and the mats became a regular workplace ergonomic standard. Went with Dansko’s before they changed their clog footbed. My dermie turned me on to the Dansko wanna be (can’t remember the name, darn it) that worked so much better for me and had the Dansko type heel which worked in keeping my back comfortable. Alternately resting one foot upon a ledge while in a standing position helps the feet and the back.
At home I wear Land’s End padded slippers indoors on the hardwood floor. Running around on errands it is Chaco’s, Tevas or an old Land’s End zip front clog in winter weather.
I did take a self massage class and nightly foot massages help when these old wheels get tired. Good luck, I hope you find comfort and stay away from painful foot maladies!

2 Likes

Also…if you have plantar fasciitis, a 6mm drop from the back to the front (basically a tiny heel) will relieve the pressure on the fascia that cause so much pain.

1 Like

I love my Haflinger slippers.

I bought some once; sadly my footsies are too narrow for most shoes to fit without literally walking out of them.

1 Like

I havr the opposite problem…I may be a direct descendant of Fred Flintstone.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I got nothin’ else. Mrs. ricepad is the one plagued with tired and sore feet, and most evenings while we’re watching the news, she’ll put her feet in my lap and gaze at me imploringly. I only suggested compression socks because that’s what HER doc suggested recently!

1 Like

After a debilitating bout with plantar fasciitis (I wore a boot for like four months), I took the medical advice I received seriously, and ditched all my shoe-shaped footwear for foot-shaped footwear.

I also did months of foot and toe exercises; this was during the early months of the pandemic, so I was housebound, almost exclusively barefoot, and bored enough that I was willing to do these exercises regularly.

Now I wear exclusively foot-shaped, zero-drop shoes, mostly Groundies, for both everyday and for working out (which I do a lot of.) I still have a stack of the custom-made orthotics I thought I’d have to wear forever; I no longer wear them.

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean to imply I was asking you! I should have said, What else can one do? - as in, I’ve done the usual, and I’m shrugging!

I hold on to my custom molded orthotics, just in case. I couldn’t wear them with sandals, that’s when I discovered Teva’s. It took about 6 months of stretching, orthotics and changing up my walking routine (the track I use to walk was cinder surfaced, it closed and I had to hit the concrete which caused the problem). Trail walking mixed with sidewalk routes helped.

1 Like

Ah, you should have said it in Japanese, then! I would have picked up on the nuance! Shikata ga nai - nothing can be done (about it).

The irony of Mrs. ricepad’s foot ails is that she’s always mocking me and my flatter than flat feet, yet she’s the one complaining about her tired dogs at the end of the day!

3 Likes

Or, as T’Pao said to Spock in “Amok Time” … “The air is the air; what can be done?”

2 Likes

I’m such a nerd that I get that reference!

1 Like

:vulcan_salute:t2:!!!

Howdy neighbor!

2 Likes

I thought it was Bones that she said it to :thinking:

1 Like

You are correct.

1 Like

Well I liked it. Check out some of the skin subs on Reddit

1 Like