Waffle House dedicated thread

Scattered, smothered, capped and covered for me!

2 Likes

This is good for both Lana Del Rey and Waffle House, according to me.

2 Likes

I sure would like to hear that list, although maybe it’s for another thread.

1 Like

Poor Slash.

4 Likes

Waffle House is heaven. There I have said it. Or it was one morning at 4am in Northern Florida.
A friend and I were driving from College Park MD to Key West for Spring Break and were exhausted and hungry shortly after we crossed the Florida Line and realized we were only halfway to Key West. So we saw a Waffle House in the distance and pulled off at the next exit. It is pitch black out and the Waffle House looked empty, maybe one or two cars in the lot. I opened the door stepped in and it hit me like a bolt out of the blue. The entire cafe was STUFFED with beautiful women!!
They were in every booth and a few were at the bar. Almost all of them looked up at me as I let the door slam in my friends face and smiled. It was like God smiled at me…
I nodded my head and discretely searched for a non-existent empty booth. My friend stepped through the door with words for me about the door incident and got the God smiling treatment from the girls. So we joined the girls at the bar and got a menu and asked what in the world was going on. They were sorority girls, KD from University of Georgia, and their bus to Fort Lauderdale had broken down and they were waiting for their driver, Bobby Joe or something, to return for them, which he did all too soon. Watching them leave was like watching a couple dozen very charming, very chatty cats getting herded into a bus.
I will never enter a Waffle House without remembering that breakfast with a smile.

It was definitely not this Alexandria VA Wafle Shop, but it does deserve some attention for the age of the sign and its novelty.

11 Likes

I love that story.
Am I correct in assuming you rerouted to Ft. Lauderdale?

3 Likes

11 Likes

Perfect! I will be in ATL next week!

Waffle House has been there for many a hangover when traveling over the years. It has also been a welcome late night spot in areas where a lot of places close early (think Lancaster County, PA).

I think the chain has gotten a bad wrap over the years due to videos of fights and attacks breaking out, but it has to do more with the locations than the chain itself.

The prices cannot be beat. I don’t know how they do it.

6 Likes

It’s my favorite chain restaurant by a mile.

2 Likes

When I was a post doc at Georgia, Waffle House is one of my favorite places to do. I find the waitstaff polite and welcoming.

5 Likes

Did someone say waffle …

4 Likes

I wish I visited a Waffle House on my many trips to the States when I was still making the road trips.
We usually chose Bob Evans, and occasionally IHOP, Cracker Barrel, Perkins or Denny’s, for breakfast, when we were staying at motels along the Interstate.

1 Like

True! And they’e willing to chat as time permits…

2 Likes

Good old American diners. I have to say… Waffle House is still a peg higher for me. Not because the foods are better (likely not), but there is something I just like Waffle House better. I don’t know. The yellow sign and the down to Earth feeling. Waitstaff being polite and warm, not overly polite and distance – think some of those high-end steak house where the waitstaff are super polite, but also distance.

1 Like

It’s funny, because it was the signage of Waffle House, when I saw it near Pigeon Forge, TN, then noticed it elsewhere afterwards, that looked unfamiliar to me, and kept me from visiting in 2013, when I first remember noticing it as an option.

We know what we like at Bob Evans, which is a common sight on the road between Buffalo and Pittsburgh, so that’s where we usually went for breakfast. On our last family wedding trip to the burbs of Pittsburgh, we went to First Watch, as well as Bob Evans.

There can be hour long line-ups for these chain places in the burbs of Pittsburgh and Erie on Sundays, before church and after church! It’s a completely different world than north of the border in Ontario.

1 Like

Yeah. You are right. I cannot but noticed a few times I am at Waffle House (or many Southern restaurant), they would like start to chat away. I would say I have seen that more often at BBQ joints. The owners and managers would sometime come over (when it is not busy) and started chatting with me… a lot of time about the college football and sometime about their secret BBQ sauce, dogs, cats, or new generation of young people. :stuck_out_tongue:

Never seen that kind of warm behavior in the Northeast or West Cost.

3 Likes

Oh, they can be chatty and friendly in the Buffalo Erie Toledo Detroit Pittsburgh rust belt region, too. Way more down-to-earth than in Toronto or Ottawa!

I know it’s very friendly south of the Mason Dixon Line, but I notice the change in chattiness as soon as I cross the border into Buffalo.

In my experience, Californians outside LA and metro San Francisco area are also typically down to earth and chatty. About a quarter of my (chatty LOL) family lives in the East Bay or grew up in the East Bay.

It was a culture shock for someone Californian in my family to move to Ontario Canada where people are reserved.
I really don’t have enough experiences to comment on the people of Washington State and Oregon.

People are definitely more chatty in small-town BC and BC Interior than in Victoria or Vancouver.

5 Likes

Next trip for sure!

1 Like

I agree completely with barbecue places. In the Northeast you can sometimes drum up a conversation in small immigrant-run places. In the South you can start a conversation in an elevator

2 Likes