Waffle House dedicated thread

I am not sure how the on line list corresponds to what is in the store. I’ve gone twice now and each time the oyster case was full of different types. The guy who was working the counter and packing my order told me that if I want a bunch of oysters, if I call ahead I can order a box of 50 of the Chesapeakes for $40. I didn’t know anything more about Wegman’s other than what people who are from upstate told me. When I walked in the first time I was just floored. Its not another big box grocery store. The variety of produce there is crazy. Esoteric stuff that I have never seen in other than ethnic markets. Its a pain to get to though without a car. My wife’s cousin spent time in Syracuse and she has asked I pick her up the next time I go.

1 Like

You lived here in the 90s? When Gristede’s was called Grosstede’s and Associated Grossciated?
D’Ag was the best of a sorry lot. We have had a weekend place out of the city for a long time and used to shop on the weekends to bring stuff back to the city. But the city shopping scene has been changed by the arrival of Fresh Direct, Wholefoods and Trade Joe’s. All the grocery stores around me have cleaned up and renovated. Its so much better now.

1 Like

I’ve been to three or four of them (although not the Brooklyn one). NJ, Chautaqua, etc. They didn’t seem much different from Whole Foods. And certainly not worth a car trip for someone who has easy access to Aquabest and The Lobster Place and Union Square Greenmarket for oysters.

But as someone who was absolutely transfixed by the 7-11 in Tokyo, I understand the fascination with “foreign” supermarkets.

1 Like

We live in a country where if you’re a woman, gay/trans or POC (etc) you cannot feel safe protected or welcome everywhere and there are broader areas where aggression/fear is more prevalent. It sucks. I hope this perspective is welcome.

3 Likes

Yep, there was also a Food Emporium a few blocks away. I did half my shopping at the Union Square Green Market, maybe a trip every month to Gourmet Garage. There was an Amish Market near my apt. My friends from the UWS gave me all their Fairway groceries when their lease was up. :rofl:

I have visited NYC maybe 15 times since I lived there, but haven’t visited many stores apart from Trader Joe’s, the Fairway around the mid 20s (I think it closed?) and the Bryant Park Whole Foods.

I understand that but I don’t understand the response that whole areas of the country are tainted. If I remember you posted about a pretty bad experience in a place in upstate NY. Not a WH around there. Saying that if a state/town has a WH is emblematic of the people from that area being closed minded is just the flip side of the coin.

Yes, I loved the Japanese 7-11 experience, as well.

Even by the Miami 7-11 experience- little guava pastries!

The Novel Gimmicky Wegman’s item that stands out : cannoli dip with crispy cannoli shell dippers, available in regular ricotta cannoli dip or pumpkin spice cannoli dip. Our Cdn Whole Foods don’t have those things. Our Cdn Whole Foods also doesn’t have the fancy halvah selection the Bryant Park store has had.

1 Like

Kind people everywhere and I don’t feel whole areas are tainted per se. And yes evil lurks everywhere too.

But there are trends that need to be navigated. It did make me sad to see that in Clinton County, NY. That restaurant was no aberration there I’m afraid.

Still I know folks that will never go into any Denny’s etc. I respect that.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what will you order off the menu when you finally make it to Waffle House. You must have some idea by now.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Small or medium scattered, capped and smothered Hash Browns, I think.

4 Likes

It’s a cult for those who have no HEB.

I don’t have a HEB, so maybe the non-cult is more far-reaching.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of Wegman’s when it finally came to MA, but it has changed over the last few years and become closer to a regular supermarket as you say. They used to offer a selection of high-end items that were not easy to find elsewhere (hello, jamon Iberico! I miss you) - often in the charcuterie section. But I also found they were one of the earlier ones outside of Whole Foods to regularly have grass-fed/pasture raised proteins and goods right next to their regular stuff, and for better than WF prices at the time.

They had a much better selection of produce - not only fresher, but more of a variety. A few things I could easily find: sunchokes, satsuma mandarins when in season, multiple varieties of grapes, tomatoes and other fruits beyond what the regular market had. And then their bakery was tons better than any of the local options, including WF, and all of this were reasonably priced.

Wegmans was a combo of a regular supermarket, plus a Whole Foods and a few high end speciality items smooshed together for me. Over the years, they reduced the number of regular market brands, and upped the Wegman’s brands. Their stuff isn’t bad, but for those who were brand loyal, that became harder to shop exclusively at Wegmans. I still think they have an above average seafood and meat/protein sections, and I still think their bakeries and produce beat the competitors. They’ve dropped the jamon sadly, but fans of other charcuterie favorites can probably still find some fancy cheeses and stuff. I don’t drink, but many stores have a big wine section too.

Now back to WH – I’ve never been to one, but I keep reading about this place (fist fights aside). I need to find a location that has one and make a trip.

4 Likes

This is what I have heard. Also? This.

Interesting. One of our bigger Wegman’s has a burger bar upstairs, in addition to the usually large self-service buffet foods. I noticed in WF there is this trend towards ready to eat foods from different vendors. Seems like they are taking a page out of the H-Mart like food court like set ups.

The more places do this, the better, sez me.

3 Likes

One of the side effects of decades of being at work by 7 am is that is difficult to sleep in on mornings when I’m not working. It’s Saturday and I’m up at 6:30. Have coffee and read the news. Walk the dog as he’s the only one awake and start rummaging around in the fridge for something to eat. I notice the fridge looks a bit bare so I decided to try Wegman’s today. I head out for an early Saturday grocery run.

8 different types of oysters available this morning.

The fresh fish on ice rivals most specialty seafood shops. The mackerel is mislabeled. That’s Spanish mackerel. I’m always amused when I see porgy/scup. It’s so ubiquitous in the area and you rarely see it in a store. A true local fish and great tasting.

The precut charcuterie selection is quite nice. Got some of the 24 month aged prosciutto.

I was surprised to see A5 wagyu. Pretty pricey so I skipped it. $40 for a piece that’s about 1 1/2 square. Maybe I should gotten it as i have paid more for it in a restaurant.

For unusual vegetables i spotted these

Don’t usually see cardoon away from specialty markets.

So I find Wegman’s worth visiting from time to time to get other than ordinary stuff.

9 Likes

It’s at the USQ Greenmarket a lot. That is a good oyster selection, but with Aquabest so close to me (which has an even better one), definitely not worth a trip to Brooklyn. I’m not sure I’ve ever see cardoons - not that I’ve looked - but are they supposed to be look so dried out?

Don’t have a lot of experience with cardoon so not sure. What I would have been thrilled to find is puntarelle. Do you see that at the Union Square market? I change trains there everyday commuting but hardly ever go above ground as it’s usually before or after the market has opened. But if there is puntarelle I would make the effort.