Waffle fries

How do you make them? I mean straight from potatoes? Do you need a three axis mill and a drill press? Is there a tool? Can you make them with a knife?

See https://i.redd.it/o20dw2ncz2851.jpg . Don’t bother about the hot dogs. I know how to make those.

Google shows food processor blades. I have two food processors but the feed tubes seem small for a decent sized potato. A couple of leads for mandolin blades which make more sense to me. I’d love feed back that doesn’t include “Ore-Ida.” grin I know how to do that also.

More Google - any experience with something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-1155700-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=OXO+Good+Grips+V-Blade+Mandoline+Food+Slicer&qid=1593550976&sr=8-2

I make them on a mandolin. There is a blade (even on cheap plastic ones sometimes) that is a “wavy” patter. (Tried to make the pattern but doesn’t translate with my phone keyboard). . You slice the potato, rotate 45 degrees plus or minus and slice again and it creates the waffle.

6 Likes

Seconding Thimes post… I’ve never wanted to be able to make them badly enough to hunt for a less expensive mandoline that can do it (my Japanese Benriners can’t), but that was the (basically) one thing that did have me considering a big, heavy-duty Matfer or Borner mandoline at one point (long, long ago…) At one point I did pick up one of these wavy “knives” locally (for a couple of $$ in Chinatown), but never got around to trying to make waffle fries with it (and/mostly because I thought it would be way more of a PITA than it would be worth…)

I don’t know if all these V-type slicers can actually make them, but this Amazon search came up on a quick Google search(NVM, the damned page won’t link, so search Amazon for “waffle fry cutter” without the quotation marks), as did Borner’s dedicated Waffle Cutter (for $20).

1 Like

I have an old Bridgeport that’s my go-to for waffle fries… The cutting oil adds a certain thing to the flavor profile.