Vidalia Green Onions... how do you use them?

I bought a bunch of 3 Vidalia green onions. They look like scallions on steroids. How should I use them? (Truth be told, if no one’s watching I’d be inclined to just clean one and eat it as is.)

I’d be more worried about someone smelling than watching! I love all scallions, green onions, leeks, etc and gladly eat the scraps from dishes. Can’t say I can place the flavor profile of the Vidalia variety, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Oooh, nice find! I would either grill or roast them a bit and dunk in romesco sauce like the spanish do with colcots.

Or sliced thin they would be great in a salad raw, or added to the top of toast with cream cheese

2 Likes

They’re a sweet onion – so use like a Walla Walla, if you’re familiar with those. Some people eat them out of hand (not kidding!)

They’re great sliced on to salads – they make WICKED onion rings – and one of the best dishes I’ve ever had made with them was a Vidalia onion pie – basically a quiche filled with thinly-sliced Vidalias that have been sweated down in some butter.Not caramelized, just soft.

1 Like

Sunshine, she’s talking - I gather - about scallions from Vidalia. Never heard of but interesting.

I’m seeing both – Vidalia season just got rolling around here – I’m seeing Florida sweets and a few fresh Vidalias just starting to show up.

But Vidalia “scallions”???

all depends on what she’s got –

There are these http://www.lanascooking.com/roasted-baby-vidalia-onions-and-cherry-tomatoes/ (scroll down to see the fresh onions before cooking)

and then there’s these – http://veganchronicle.blogspot.com/2011/04/risotto-with-vidalia-green-onions-and.html (again, scroll down – it’s the 2nd photo)

Which ones do you have, @CindyJ?

1 Like
  • 1 for roasting them/ grilling them on the BBQ. In Mexico they get these “huge” scallions and that is typically what they do with them.
1 Like

Those are the ones!

So I trimmed them down a bit, sliced them in half (because they were so big), brushed them with a bit of EVOO and put them on the grill last night. They were a nice accompaniment to the NY strip steaks I grilled alongside.

2 Likes

Then you can use like a regular onion – as I’m sure you found out, they become intensely sweet when cooked, with less of the fire of a regular onion. They’re quite good sliced on sandwiches, too.

Lots of folks who have issues with regular onion use these as a sub – you get the onion flavor without the “talkback” that usually comes with hotter onions…if you like the added sweetness.

1 Like

I bought a bunch of three recently as well… chopped one up for a white bean & tuna salad. Meh.

Still got two left, might have to grill them like you did.

yike – that should be “use like a regular SWEET onion” – and now too late to edit.

Like lots of other veg, they shine in some dishes and fall short in others.

I also see them here these days. Stopped dead in my tracks! I have been “learning” to eat leeks only these past weeks.

In Catalonia they even have a scallion festival! You made it almost like Catalan calçots, without the sauce, as mentioned by Ttrockwood.

these taste very little like leeks – there is some vague similarity since they’re in the same family, of course, but I wouldn’t want to sub them directly.

I don’t remember seeing sweet onions in Europe – anybody know?

I see them too. In fact, just today. I believe they taste kind of like in between the green onion and the leek.

Question: do these have the little stickers somewhere that identify them as ‘true’ Vidalia?

The ones I bought were bunched together with a wired paper tie that said “Vidalia Green Onions.”

1 Like

I got it, not “Vidalia” obviously. Two bunches of 3 each. Has an intense smell of scallions…

So you love it, right? '-D