Various Dollar stores - Dollar Tree, 99 Cents Only, Dollar General

I think the quarter was a good idea, honestly.here’s why. EVERYTHINg is the same price. When $.99 had to change they changed bit time. There are all different prices in that store. Dollar Tree stayed consistent, which, IMHO, is one of the only reasons McD’s makes it big.

I think twice now; but still know what I’m paying.

2 Likes

Lots of pickles and such from India. I ain’t that desperate. Polar products are cheaply produced, and God knows where.

I find Jimmy Dean breakfast links there 6 for $1.25. Frozen blueberries, frozen big pretzels my son loves, some mustards, brownie mixes, yadayadayada

1 Like

You are 100% correct about the 99 Cent only stores. Nothing is marked properly, so there is no way to know what anything costs until it is being rung up at the register.
I went there (recently) and only one item rang up at 99 Cents…
I thought one item was $1.29 but rang up as $1.49, which isn’t a big deal, but disappointing that I was confused by the tag closest to that item.
There were a couple of items I wanted to buy, but just couldn’t figure out what the price was, so I passed. There were 2-3 tags under the shelf and I couldn’t figure out which one belonged to that tag.
It shouldn’t be that hard to make purchases.

Wanna piss off customers? Post a price and find it’s more at the register. I get the opposite effect at the Dollar.25 Tree. Some things are cheaper than a buck and a quarter. Pleasant surprise, then.

1 Like

OTOH, I have to go to specialty Indian stores to get special Indian pickles.

1 Like

Yeah, not dissing India. Just for things like dill pickles, I buy Milwaukee brand pickles. Even cheaper if you go buy weight or volume.

The last time I went to the 99 Cent Only store, this was the only item that was 99 cents (that I purchased). I don’t know what it is, but I use it in my soups and goulash.

2 Likes

That’s a hot sauce.

1 Like

Yesterday I went to a California 99 Cents Only Store and for about $12, before tax, I bought the following:

• 8 oz. of guacamole from Mexico
  • 30 plastic forks
  • 1 nutrition bar
  • 1 pair of fashionaable mirrored sunglasses
  • a large plastic bucket
  • 2 bottles of household cleaner
  • a mini tripod to hold a small camera or smartphone

I probably paid 1/2 or less of the cost of these items at a regular store and ate the guacamole and nutrition bar for lunck.

2 Likes

Not hot, but more sweet. Chamoy sides on sweet. It’s actually asian in origin. In older parts of Mexico, if you sit at a bar long enough, they’ll bring you a plate of veggies with this and some tajin sprinkled on them. Sit at the bar longer, and here comes an empanada, etc. How they keep you drinkin’.

3 Likes

First, Dollar Tree became Dollar-and-a-Quarter Tree, then they added more stuff with prices above that (so much for never needing a price check!), and now there’s shrinkflation. The 1.5 liter sodas are 1.25 liter, and Jumex nectars have gone from 1 liter to 1 quart (6% drop,).

Maybe this started a while ago, of course, and I’m just now noticing.:frowning:

3 Likes