Various Dollar stores - Dollar Tree, 99 Cents Only, Dollar General

There are several espresso grind Puerto Rican coffees with this color scheme. Cafe Bustelo is the “gold standard” (at least of what is available in stores here). I order others from Puerto Rico directly, e.g. Yaucono, Cafe Crema , Cafe Rico , Cafe Oro, and Cafe Lareno, though I haven’t tried the last four yet. (I know Cafe Loreno is highly thought of.)

(I figure ordering direct from Puerto Rico helps support the coffee farmers there, who were hard-hit by Hurricane Maria.)

Shoprite has a couple of other brands, as well as its own brick espresso.

1 Like

Here’s photos of the brick espresso shelf in my Shoprite (sorry about the out-of-focus one):

1 Like

Wow!

Bought this today at Dollar Tree. I couldn’t help but smile and think of this thread.:slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.amazon.com/Dial-Liquid-Himalayan-Water-Ounce/dp/B00BKZQJJ0

2 Likes
2 Likes

I notice that Aldi used to charge $1.07 for the Jumex nectars that Dollar Tree had for $1. Now that Dollar Tree is $1.25, Aldi has gone to $1.24.

1 Like

If you can’t access the NYT article here’s another one.

“and questionable marketing attempts (Hostess Snoball-flavored coffee pods?) go to die.”

Funny.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Dollar25 Tree doesn’t have produce as far as I know. 99cents has a surprisingly decent selection.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen fresh produce at Dollar Tree either. Lots of frozen and canned though.

I like DT for candy/snacks, party decorations, and cute hair accessories for the nieces (no pricey scrunchies for them–they lose them so fast :rofl: )

1 Like

Ours is well run. The workers all know us by name. I go once a week, need it or not.

2 Likes

Thank you @Miss_belle !

Let’s see if i can do a tiny url share with a gift box one.

1 Like

“Dollar25 Tree”

I know 25 cents doesn’t seem like much. I used to whiz through Dollar Tree thinking oh it’s only $1 and toss it in the cart. Now I think twice. Something about that extra quarter just bugs me.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The quarter is annoying, but since all the other “dollar” stores charged more than a dollar for most things, I can’t get too upset. (Sort of like the old “five and dime” had lots of stuff more than a dime.)

2 Likes

I’ve only been in a couple of Dollar Tree or 99 Cents stores but found them disappointing, giving the impression that their their goal of keeping price to a dollar is constricting their inventory.

BUT, we are hooked on visiting a couple of small, independent stores in the country. Besides the price, I love that they get hold of really weird and esoteric stuff that my normal super doesn’t bother to carry. Marzipan, reg $8 → $2. Wild flavors of Edmond Fallot mustard, $2. A jar of whole nutmeg, reg. $7-10 → $2. Rao’s marinara 32 oz. reg.$10 → $3. Similar price on Bastianich’s. $1 Italian bronze cut pasta. And on and on.

Every stop is a treasure hunt.

3 Likes

It’s a big deal on TikTok to do the food shopping at the dollar store and then plan a week’s meals around it. Kind of depressing but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

1 Like

I have only been in “Dollar Stores” a few times in my life, and usually
have bought holiday decorations. I had a clear jar of sliced peaches I was drawn to but reading the fine print they were from China. I put them back on the shelf…I grew up in a poor family and am perennially frugal but I draw the line on that.

2 Likes

Essentially my experience and point. The small independents seem to collect major brands and high end odd lots.

Yes, definitely steer clear of jams, jellies & jarred fruit. I believe the brand is Polar. I also check out country of origin for food items. If it says “distributed by so and so USA”. That’s a tip-off for me.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the link! Great read. I also went to https://www.buysalvagefood.com (mentioned in the article) to see what they list for CA.

Fascinating to see what’s available in other parts of the country. In Ca? Just Grocery Outlet, which I already happily shop at. Not a perfect place but? Fun.

1 Like