Using "fresh" garlic

Beautiful garlic. It’s starting to come into the farmer’s markets and it’s so much better - like yours!

And it’s powerful stuff. I lugged my window fan out of the closet today and set it up to suck air out of the kitchen. Because between the heat and that garlic…yikes! I’m surprised there’s still paint on the walls.

2 Likes

Yes. When I got some at a local farm stand she told me not to put the unpeeled garlic down on my granite - it will stain it! It’s really good though!

Did everyone read this??? I “inspired” someone!!!

4 Likes

I can’t tell from the photo what is referred to as the “garlic membrane”. Looks like the husk/paper from the cloves. Is that right? I’m ready to pull the garlic from our garden tomorrow.

The “membrane” is more like a moist husk than dry paper covering on the fresh garlic I’ve been getting.

Brilliant!!!

But it is that covering?

Thank you

Made a pot of gravy today, here is the result of the processed elephant garlic.

Bringing this back up! I just got “green” garlic and spring onions in my CSA box, and they are WAY bigger than expected. (And the chard way smaller).

Glad to find this thread! Anyone else cooking with green garlic and spring onions right now?

According to the 2013 Chocolate and Zucchini link “Although the girth of these fresh heads of garlic is comparable to that of dried, they are in fact immature — if left to dry, they would shrink to a much smaller size — and the cloves themselves are pretty small, so the trick to getting your garlic money’s worth is to use the whole thing , à la nose-to-tail.”

Something newer

The Kitchen -“Jump Into Spring With Green Garlic”

The green garlic I have this year is way bigger than the ones in The Kitchen pictures.

5 Likes

I love green garlic and buy it as long as it turns up in my local farmers markets. It can range from looking like a chubby scallion or baby leek to looking alot like what you have there, more like a regular garlic but without individually “wrapped” cloves and papery husks. In that state, I use it just as I would regular garlic - in dressings, roasted with other veggies, etc.

2 Likes

Like that barely visible layer between the rings of onions, that you didn’t know exists until your chef’s knife slipped on it and you sliced a fingertip.

3 Likes

Green garlic or even freshly dug garlic is sweeter than conventional garlic. Lovely stuff.
We have been using spring onions in salads and grilled, either whole or halved, as a side veg.

1 Like

This is uncured Garlic. The outer Skin has not been dried yet to allow long term storage

Green Garlic has not formed much of a Bulb yet (if any).
download

Garlic Scrapes are the unmature Flower Shoot

4 Likes

When I pull my garlic up early, it is immature and mild. When I let it go until maturity, it is ‘hotter’. It is a Russian type and I will use the scapes with sorrel to make a lovely sauce for salmon.

4 Likes

Thank you!

So you are saying what I have is uncured rather than “green garlic” ? What I got a few days ago has bulbs the size of some mature garlic! Certainly as big as most garlic I’ve grown. The garlic I am growing this year is still not quite mature.

I haven’t cut what I bought yet, but I imagine the cloves are smaller and not as well developed, and the skins are not as fibrous as what I pull up in June or July.

In any case, I assume it won’t keep, so I was interested in ideas for using it fresh.

1 Like

Put them root ends down in a tall container with about 3/8" of fresh water and I bet you’ll be surprised how long they keep.

I use the following for green onions, cilantro, parsley, etc, and it stays fresh for a long time:

https://www.oxo.com/greensaver-herb-keeper-large.html

1 Like

Actually that looks pretty in between green and uncured to me.
If the Paper/Skin is still soft and edible use it as Green Garlic if not you use just like regular Cured Garlic.

2 Likes

I’m liking the

I love pigeon peas in "peas and rice ", or as husband says “rice and peas” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Ending the debate: Rice and peas, or peas and rice?

But he doesn’t cook it, so…

and have read about the split pea dal version. Maybe it’s time. I have a lot of dried pigeon peas but they are not “split”.

2 Likes