Upgrade Syndrome?

This is true for most things. I’d add that, in my experience, if a person has neither the aptitude nor the attitude to do the task at hand well, the best tools/technology in the world aren’t going to help much, if at all.

1 Like

Oh noes! (scurries into the kitchen, removes iPhone from knife block…)

Now I know why I haven’t seen a knife block with a built-in charger.

3 Likes

I hate to tell you this, but iPhone can do anything. If you cannot chop a chicken with a iPhone SE, then the problem is you. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I agree. The way I like to think about it is that. The proper tool and proper skill are both important. I can have the best car in the world, but if I cannot drive, then I cannot dive. On the other hand, I can be a world class F-1 driver, but I cannot drive a car without an engine.

That being said. Vast majority of the cases when we are talking about kitchen, it is the skill holding us back more than the cookware. Even in the many cases where a thin knife was used to chop bones, you can argue that it was the lack of knowledge resulting the lack of proper tool (e.g. most of us have money to buy a cleaver, but it is our knowledge preventing us from buying and then using a cleaver).

1 Like

I agree about the kitchen skills! Knowing how, and why.

Oops. There goes all my IT and cooking cred…(slinks away in shame)

Let me ask you a philosophical question. When you try to add gas to a Tesla…

Is it a skill/knowledge problem or a tool problem? (Maybe the two things are really different side of the same coin)

2 Likes

I think the issue here is that the tool is wearing the baseball cap …

1 Like

Ha ha ha. To give him the benefit of the doubt, this is probably not his car and the person who lend it to him did not explain this is an electric car.

1 Like

It looks like the car has temporary tags, just to complicate things.

…then you’re holding it wrong. -S. Jobs.

2 Likes

Hear, hear!

I only regret that I have but one like to give for this comment.

1 Like

You have to orient the Jobsian skeuomorphic Icon properly.

1 Like

OMG!!! Skeuomorphism is one the words I hate so much due to Apple. Price point and form factor are two of the other words. Hahaha.

1 Like

Steve Jobs was very good about building accessibility features into the iPhone (and the skeuomorphic icons disappeared not long after his death). I’m mentioning because -totally awkward segue - I’m contemplating purchasing an Oxo kitchen tool - which will be a frivolous purchase that I doubt will up my cooking game at all. Oxo was founded by Sam Farber, in response to his wife’s frustration with using a vegetable peeler. Oxo’s products are all supposedly based on principles of universal design - usability and accessibility for the greatest number of users. They started with kitchen utensils, and expanded from there. And that’s the business story.

Except … a few years ago, I ordered a set of Oxo small nesting measuring cups. The product itself was exactly what I was hoping for; however, it was packaged in a clamshell jail so large and so unwieldy that no one, I swear, would be able to open it. I had to use poultry shears. So much for accessibility.

In order for a kitchen equipment upgrade to work; you have to be able to get it out of its package.

4 Likes

In ancient time (a more civilized era), we would use our teeth to open packages

3 Likes

That would help my dentist put her kids through college! I like dual use equipment, but at what cost?

1 Like

Such an iconic and timeless response. It remind of the arrogant and disconnected response: Do you guys not have phones?

2 Likes

There are things which are universally better. However, many things are aboit tradeoffs and we all have different priorities. For me, a white shirogami carbon steel knife is an upgrade compare to a X50CrMoV15 stainless steel knife, but for another person the sharper edge carbon steel knife is not worth the trouble of extra care to prevent rust. I think that is a huge attractiveness of Teflon cookware.
While I don’t have many Oxo cookware, I appreciate the fact that they focus on average home cooks overall experience. Overall experience is not just performance.

4 Likes

I’ve never used any of their knives, just brushes of various sorts and a salad spinner. I think their focus originally was on people with arthritic hands.

1 Like